January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Not sure we are 12th best supported. Accies for one have less season ticket holders.

You can also add Inverness, Ross County, St Johnstone, Partick and Kilmarnock (you beat me to it Superward) to that list although in a few of these cases its not by much. Most of them will be on similar budgets. While it would be great to bring in some really talented players I often think what we lack as much as anything are solid, reliable, hard working, no frills kind of players in central midfield and defence. The kind of players who can't make defence splitting passes but by the same token won't make many mistakes either. They play steadily week in week out without getting noticed.

I know Inverness are having a hard time just now (hopefully even harder after tomorrow), but in recent years they have built up a reputation for successfully bringing in just this kind of player from English non league clubs. So, it can be done on a limited budget.

[quote name="Kmcalpin" post="483939" timestamp="1482833506

I know Inverness are having a hard time just now (hopefully even harder after tomorrow), but in recent years they have built up a reputation for successfully bringing in just this kind of player from English non league clubs. So, it can be done on a limited budget.

For every player that Inverness have brought in that's broken into their side and achieved I'm sure they have brought in some rubbish as well. Our summer recruitment wasn't that bad, Tait, Heneghan, Clay in my opinion have been successful signings. Not yet sure about Bowman, if Moult moves on then I think we would see more from him. Blyth and Lucas so far haven't worked out.

McHugh has got better with every game he's missed, when he returns he's going to be better than Pirlo.

My point being we all sign players from the same level of England hoping to turn up a nugget or two, but all teams will sign the odd flop also.

For every player that Inverness have brought in that's broken into their side and achieved I'm sure they have brought in some rubbish as well. Our summer recruitment wasn't that bad, Tait, Heneghan, Clay in my opinion have been successful signings. Not yet sure about Bowman, if Moult moves on then I think we would see more from him. Blyth and Lucas so far haven't worked out.

Bit unfair on Lucas cos whenever he has came on or played he has impressed id say but there comes a risk with him but I'd agree with your other points made.

Bit unfair on Lucas cos whenever he has came on or played he has impressed id say but there comes a risk with him but I'd agree with your other points made.

Lucas against Ross County looked like he could be an asset, against Aberdeen he struggled looked very lightweight and either passed sideways or backwards. Maybe harsh to judge on a couple of games but added to his injury problems, then in my opinion Lucas hasn't been a good signing.

Lucas against Ross County looked like he could be an asset, against Aberdeen he struggled looked very lightweight and either passed sideways or backwards. Maybe harsh to judge on a couple of games but added to his injury problems, then in my opinion Lucas hasn't been a good signing.

He didn't impress much either in his 45 minutes against Kilmarnock. Its hard to assess on his limited game time to date but decisions will have to be made soon.

• Like 1

Signing in the million pound bracket is a gamble never mind at our freebie/reject level.

He's brought in Tait and Heneghan and basically made a first pick player out of Cadden. Some others have been injured and not able to contribute and others were only brought in to act as back-up. Moult and McDonald are always going to be the front two if available, for example, so opportunities will be limited for Blyth and Bowman and its unfair to judge them as anything other than back up. The same goes for Brill.

We don't have enough quality in the squad but I don't think it's a point your finger and blame kind of deal. Inevitably at the level we are shopping at you aren't going to get a player ever time or even half the time. I don't think McGhee's record is any worse than Barracloughs or McCall's later years. We are at the dross level in finance terms and it should be more of a surprise if we get a good one than a bad one.

It's just something people are going to have to accept, especially when the inevitable happens and we lose real quality players who are coming to the end of their time with us - Hammell, Lasley, McDonald. Facts are their replacements just won't be the level of quality that many fans have not just got used to but have actually quite complacent and entitled about.

This season we are the 12th best supported club in the country and teams just below us have chairman who are still prepared to plough money in meaning actually in terms of financial clout we are lower down still.

That's where we are right now and I think quite a few of us haven't quite grasped that yet.

A number of fair points. First and foremost, credit to McGhee for providing a platform that has accelerated the development of a number of youngsters, primarily Cadden and Hall.

I'm sure you have the stats to back up the fact that we're the 12th biggest supported club in Scotland but I'm not sure how relevant it is. As much as I hate the phrase, we have contionusly punched above our weight for the 26 years I've followed Motherwell and I see no reason why that should suddenly change. Furthermore. there are currently a number of clubs in our league that have a smaller support and budget than us.

I'm not a strong supporter of fan ownership but I dont believe the shift of ownership showed realign our expectations, particularly when the chairman said he wouldn't sign up to fan ownership if it didn't offer a sustainable future. If anything, we should be in a strong position at the moment given the seemingly favourable terms of the debt.

Having said that, recruitment is key to the future of the club and I fear this is where McGhee (and/or scouting system) is letting us down. IMO our success rate in the transfer market is not reflective of a club that is running a streamlined business. There was absolutely no need to sign both Blyth and Bowman as backup strikers when we have a gaping hole in midfield. A hole that should have been immediately addressed when Pearson was sold.

Generally, on the point of expectations, McGhee was brought in as an experienced manager with a safe pair of hands. Last season he successfully met expectations. This season we are in danger of falling behind less experienced managers like McIntryre, Wright and Foran that are in charge of similar budgets. Most alarmingly, we have played 23 competitive games this season but nobody knows what our strongest lineup, IMO this is a result of poor recruitment in the summer.

Are those guys in charge of similar budgets? They always seem to have more to spend than us.

I think we mostly know our strongest lineup, but injury has prevented us from playing it on a number of occasions.

While the results have been far from ideal this season so far, I'm encouraged by the number of U20s making appearances. Not only that, but we have been extending their contracts too. Exactly what we have all been moaning about in prior seasons.

If McHugh and Lucas can stay fit that will give us options in midfield and a fit Kennedy will also provide another option.

At the Hamilton press conference, McGhee confirms there is scope to bring 1 or 2 in without any outgoings. Likely to speak to Pearson in the next week or so.

Thought it was a pretty good press conference. Looking back to the summer everything seemed to have a "budget"-caveat (understandably) so it was actually quite refreshing to hear McGhee address the matter in the way he did today. I had kind of expected him to deflect away from the question about Pearson. His point about a couple who might be surplus moving being helpful but not necessary did get me wondering who is actually considered surplus and who'd be willing to take them.

Lucas seems to have played his way into the side, to the extent that McGhee referenced him in a positive way post-ICT. After his (non-)showing against Aberdeen Thomas on loan somewhere would probably be best for everyone? Brill? Blyth, Kennedy and Chalmers seem to have been perma-knacked. Belic will obviously go back to West Ham but by all accounts he wasn't costing anything anyway so that doesn't help budget-wise it's only a body moved out.

I noticed Alan Burrows on Twitter mentioning there are a few targets they're looking at to strengthen so I'm quite curious to see what sort of areas they're looking at.

FWIW: I'd take Pearson back at the club in a shot and would very much like a new goalkeeper in (assuming we could get one of the 2 we have out).

Thought it was a pretty good press conference. Looking back to the summer everything seemed to have a "budget"-caveat (understandably) so it was actually quite refreshing to hear McGhee address the matter in the way he did. His point about a couple who might be surplus moving being helpful but not necessary did get me wondering who is actually considered surplus and who'd be willing to take them.

Lucas seems to have played his way into the side, to the extent that McGhee referenced him in a positive way post-ICT. After his (non-)showing against Aberdeen Thomas on loan somewhere would probably be best for everyone? Brill? Blyth, Kennedy and Chalmers seem to have been perma-knacked. Belic will obviously go back to West Ham but by all accounts he wasn't costing anything anyway so that doesn't help budget-wise it's only a body moved out.

I noticed Alan Burrows on Twitter mentioning there are a few targets they're looking at to strengthen so I'm quite curious to see what sort of areas they're looking at.

FWIW: I'd take Pearson back at the club in a shot and would very much like a new goalkeeper in (assuming we could get one of the 2 we have out).

Yeah very positive. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with more than 2 signings, particularly if Pearson returns.

I imagine the positions we'll be looking at are central midfield, left back, left midfield and goalkeeper albeit we'll probably stick with Samson until the summer.

I mentioned Luke Leahy as a possible replacement for Hammell last season. His form has seemingly dipped this season and Falkirk have some 17 year old hotshot at left back now. Wouldn't mind us having a look at Leahy given that he's out of contract in the summer.

Assuming Lucas stays, and we sign Pearson, I reckon we won't be looking for another midfielder. That would give us Clay, Cadden, McHugh, Lasley, Lucas and Pearson. Irrespective of whether you think they're all good enough or the right mix, I can't see us carrying 7 midfielders on the books.

Left wing and left back will probably be the areas we look at although I do like the look of Jack McMillan so wouldn't want to stunt his progress too much. Maybe a loan signing at left back to give him time to develop?

Time will tell...

I think McGhee was right when he said that if we get a left winger it will be someone we need to develop the same way as we developed Marvin rather than a direct replacement.

Options are often limited in January, though, and creative midfielders are in demand, so even if that's what he wants - and given we won't be paying transfer fees - it might not be possible this window.

Pearson covers the left side and central mid, and will chip in some goals, so he'd be ideal and doesn't need time to adapt. I could see a few more teams interested, but would like to think he'd give us first refusal.

We are light at center back, so could see a loanee defender.

I am not sure we are light at CB.

McManus, Henehgan, Ferguson, Kennedy all guys who have/could feature for the first team, I am sure I read McHugh covered there before and then there is our youngsters who if ready would probably be thrown in nae bother.

Laing is probably done, Kennedy may see out his time but probably won't feature much either.

The whole left side is a bit of a worry. McMillan has done well when needed but is he a left back? Nae midfield left side at all. I am not sure a wide left role would suit Pearo these days (who knows?).

I think we'd all love a goalie, but I doubt that is gonna happen.

• Like 1

I am not sure we are light at CB.

McManus, Henehgan, Ferguson, Kennedy all guys who have/could feature for the first team, I am sure I read McHugh covered there before and then there is our youngsters who if ready would probably be thrown in nae bother.

Not even cover, McHugh was an actual centre back at Bradford. It was Adams who converted him to the holding midfield role at Plymouth so it's that position that's a relatively new thing.

Much like yourself I can't really see much need for a centre half. Even Jack McMillan's played centre half for the 20s.

• Like 1

I would have taken him back in a heartbeat. While Ainsworth has much better end product on his day, if he's not "on it" then he's almost like a man down. Even if he's not doing well, Humphrey's pace causes teams to double up on him. A big part of our success in his time here was down to the potential threat of Humphrey and double marking freeing up space for others like Murphy who could make a greater impact.

It's difficult to tell with, as many have said, opponents trying to mark Humphrey out the game and freeing ul space.

However, having recently seen the level his old team play at, I wouldn't have taken the risk in re-signing him. Much better for us if we can find a player we can develop in that role and sell on like Marvin.