Red Card Statement

Kmcalpin

I despair. Charlie Richmond in the Rancid recently, said the red cards we got were def red cards. Fair enough, thats his opinion.

He now talks about the weekends talking point and on the RC V AFC says Madden got that one correct and it wasnt a red card, yellow card or even a foul. He does point out that the keeper got a touch and that was the key issue. McDonald got the ball, Clay got the ball....... Consistency of the rules. Aye right.

Quote "Perhaps the other big talking point of the weekend came in Dingwall when Aberdeen keeper Joe Lewis could have seen red for his tackle on Michael Gardyne.

The Dons goalkeeper got a touch on the ball before clattering the County player and that really is the key issue.

However slight, it was a touch. I’m sure that is what went through Bobby Madden’s mind.

There are other factors to consider such as reckless play but Bobby got that one correct."

I despair. Charlie Richmond in the Rancid recently, said the red cards we got were def red cards. Fair enough, thats his opinion.
He now talks about the weekends talking point and on the RC V AFC says Madden got that one correct and it wasnt a red card, yellow card or even a foul. He does point out that the keeper got a touch and that was the key issue. McDonald got the ball, Clay got the ball....... Consistency of the rules. Aye right.
Quote "Perhaps the other big talking point of the weekend came in Dingwall when Aberdeen keeper Joe Lewis could have seen red for his tackle on Michael Gardyne.
The Dons goalkeeper got a touch on the ball before clattering the County player and that really is the key issue.
However slight, it was a touch. I’m sure that is what went through Bobby Madden’s mind.
There are other factors to consider such as reckless play but Bobby got that one correct."

That's hilarious - just read both articles.

6th Feb "managers and players must realise that the way you go into the tackle has no bearing on whether you win the ball or not."

13th Feb "The Dons goalkeeper got a touch on the ball before clattering the County player and that really is the key issue. However slight, it was a touch."

Absolutely bonkers, although why would we be surprised at inconsistency?

I often think refs think they are conductors of an orchestra. It's not their job to control the flow of the game. It's not their job to try to keep 11 men on the park. It's not their job to decide before a match what type of game we all want to see. Just try yer best to apply the rules the same each game and we'll have a hell of a lot less to complaint about.

• Like 3

It was a dangerous tackle. Studs showing, straight leg, waist height. Much worse than McDonald or McHugh and probably more reckless than Lucas. I dont think there was intent but he is still extremely fortunate to get away it.

• Like 1

I think it's one that could have gone either way. In context Teirney's taken a poor first touch, the ball's popped up and Bowman's clearly got to it first by some distance rather than just a nick on the ball and collided with the player in following through. IMO that's how the referee saw it and why it was only a yellow. It's also how I think the Celtic players saw it as well since watching it back not one of them takes issue with it. Had they thought he'd gone in to do Tierney or that it merited a red card they'd probably have made the point to the ref. As it was, Brown checks on Tierney and seems happy enough to take the free kick.

Had the ref seen that in following through Bowman had planted his (sizeable) boot on Tierney's knee in the way it's shown (out of context) in the still photos that are kicking about then it could easily have been a different story. However it's one of those that in my mind, given the pace the game is played at, depends on what the ref has seen and how he's interpreted it. In this case I think he's just seen it as an unfortunate, awkward coming together of two players rather than a challenge using "excessive force" etc

Was interesting to read Rodgers play it down and put a lot of it down to the pitch;

"I thought the Kieran Tierney challenge was a result of the pitch. The ball pops up, and the player makes the challenge on the back of that.

It didnt look very good but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the player that he didnt mean it."

IMO that's a fairly reasonable assessment.

Edit: it's quite telling that the only people who actually seem to have any sort of interest in the incident are supporters (and I suppose the media). The players didn't make much of it, Tierney played the full 90, Rodgers seems to have played the challenge down and is more concerned about the state of the park.

I noticed Sportscene never showed the Jim Obrien tackle you put up on P & B yet to me that was much worse than Bowman as he lunged 2 footed yet only booked .John Beaton had usual piss performance how he missed that handball as well on the line is unbelievable and imo its 2nd worst refereeing decision of the season after the decision not to give our goal at Dundee .

I noticed Sportscene never showed the Jim Obrien tackle you put up on P & B yet to me that was much worse than Bowman as he lunged 2 footed yet only booked .John Beaton had usual piss performance how he missed that handball as well on the line is unbelievable and imo its 2nd worst refereeing decision of the season after the decision not to give our goal at Dundee .

It just goes to show the power and influence of the media and in particular TV companies. I'd not seen the game before but it must have been a real thrill a second stuff if this controversial incident wasn't deemed worthy of inclusion. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it was one of Scotland's biggest clubs and BBC media darlings at that (Aberdeen) which was involved. Had it been a player at fault from a smaller club, like us, they'd have been all over it like a rash no doubt catching the interest of the Compliance Officer. Sports editors are acting like God here.

It just goes to show the power and influence of the media and in particular TV companies. I'd not seen the game before but it must have been a real thrill a second stuff if this controversial incident wasn't deemed worthy of inclusion. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it was one of Scotland's biggest clubs and BBC media darlings at that (Aberdeen) which was involved. Had it been a player at fault from a smaller club, like us, they'd have been all over it like a rash no doubt catching the interest of the Compliance Officer. Sports editors are acting like God here.

I think you're talking about a different game. The O'Brien incident was Ross County vs St Johnstone. I'm not sure where Aberdeen come into it.

There was a tackle in the first half of the Sutton v Arsenal game last night (on the half-way line) which was very similar to Carl McHugh's and no foul was given.

I saw that and thought exactly the same, very similar tackle. The pundits even had a laugh about it at HT, absolutely no suggestion of it being a foul never mind a red card! Just makes it even more frustrating I suppose.....

I think you're talking about a different game. The O'Brien incident was Ross County vs St Johnstone. I'm not sure where Aberdeen come into it.

Yes, you're right - apologies for that. I retract much of what I wrote, but my principle assertion that the media have a huge influence over what is picked up still stands.

Yes, you're right - apologies for that. I retract much of what I wrote, but my principle assertion that the media have a huge influence over what is picked up still stands.

The Lee McCulloch elbow on Cummins in the cup game when Rangers were in the 3rd division, was as blatant a deliberate elbow as you'll see.

Didn't make the highlights, and try and find any footage or photos. Coincidentally mcculloch was/is very generous with his time for the media...

So is Skippy. He was even on the programme to discuss his own sending off.

They kind of had to show that though.

:lol:

Would be interesting in that case if he was involved in an off the ball incident or got off with one, would it be glossed over, or would they build the whole analysis around it?

They kind of had to show that though.

Would be interesting in that case if he was involved in an off the ball incident or got off with one, would it be glossed over, or would they build the whole analysis around it?

Aye, I know they had to show it. I was more pointing out that being media friendly didn't help Skippy out this season (or last season) when it came to highlighting his red cards.

Aye, I know they had to show it. I was more pointing out that being media friendly didn't help Skippy out this season (or last season) when it came to highlighting his red cards.

Yeah, I was more meaning the trial by sportscene angle, where they can choose to highlight or not incidents the ref has missed.

We have had no luck with those either. We had a shocker of a spell where Higdon got banned for a fist pump and Jennings got banned for getting punched by him Goodwin.

• Like 1