S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

So we know or believe that Robinson, Simo and Yogi have been interviewed. Who are the other 2 ?

I think Simo would be a bigger gamble in many respects. Say what you want about Yogi. He knows the Scottish football scene better than the other 2 we know about.

No idea where this is going.

Still feel Robinson till end of season and we review from there. But a left field appointment possible

Record are now quoting Hughes as favourite. I suspect all conjecture and no substance behind that article / story.

On a few occasions I've retrospectively seen the list of guys who have applied for the managers job at any given change. Some of them were absolutely hilarious!

Was never sure what was more unexpected...Terry Butcher repeatedly applying (once whilst he was ICT manager) despite never being interviewed, or the fact that on each occasion he's specified bringing Malpas as his assistant (which may explain the lack of interviews...).

For the record, I'd take Yogi. He talks like he's got water in his mouth and he's trying not to spill it, but he's had relative success everywhere he's been in Scotland and I don't think we're in a position to overlook that.

I don't mind Yogi. Mental accent but apart from that he has a decent record and should bring a bit of stability. Going into a relegation scrap id much rather have him than the likes of Canning or Foran.

Yogi for a year or two before Craggs, Las etc are ready to step up would work for me.

I'll reserve judgement until there's something official, but I genuinely think Yogi is a lot smarter than he's given credit for. He's done well at several smaller clubs, and got them playing good football in the process. I certainly wouldn't be offended if he were the new man in charge.

• Like 1

In terms of Yogi, I think I'm very much in the "underwhelming, but I can see why he might do a good job" camp. Certainly not the kind of appointment to get anyone's blood pumping (but then, I don't think there's been anyone linked with the job who would do that anyway) but there's no arguing he's achieved a good deal in Scottish football given the clubs he's managed. Wouldn't be shouting for him to be given it, but if he is appointed I don't think I'd be overly disappointed.

I'm really not sure though where the frustration and claims of the club's search being a shambles have come from though. I'm not sure how long on average a football club takes to name a new gaffer after a sacking, but as far as I can see we've spent last week looking at CVs and putting together a shortlist, and half of this week interviewing folk with - it appears - an appointment before Saturday. Unless I'm missing something, I don't really understand how that translates to being either chaotic or dragging on in some way. I think it's more just a symptom of the anticipation and uncertainty among the support, rather than any real sign that it's anything other than a standard process.

• Like 9

Except it only tells part of the story, if you look at Falkirk forums there's a generally held view that his management caused "long lasting damage" to the club while ICT fans aren't exactly enamoured with him given the way he left them with toys strewn all over the place and in a worse place than when he started, having fallen out with the board about the United job, taken the huff about budgets and by all accounts having shown how key Latapy was to their success.

With Motherwell's much heralded focus on youth development he hardly strikes as being a good fit in that respect either.

Who would you say at Motherwell left with reputation intact?

Davie Hay - turned his back on a new contract for a fake job in the US?

Tommy McLean - walked away after falling out with the Board over budgets

Alex McLeish - oversaw the demise of a good squad

Terry Butcher - lied about his "holidays" in Australia then walked out during the season

Craig Brown - only talking to Aberdeen as a courtesy

Stuart McCall - walked away because he lost the team and ran out of ideas?

etc. etc.

There isn't a single manager we have had that we couldn't find many faults with.

I'll bet, however, there few fans who wouldn't take a couple of seasons from any manager if it meant a Cup victory or Europa League group stages.

Anyway, I'm not expecting Hughes to be anywhere near our management vacancy - I'm just amused by people who think, with his track record, he's useless.