S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

It might be a case of offer it to Robinson until the summer then bring in Simo to do the rebuilding job and give him a fresh start of it.

I don't think that stacks up. Why interview now for an appointment in the summer?

As a few have posted on here, they're essentially looking at a choice between 2 jobs here;

- Robinson short term until summer then re-evaluate in the hope that league status being secure along with an almost blank canvas to work with will attract a better response in terms of quality of applicant with regards the "ideal" candidate.

or

- Valakari as a longer term option, we'd not be looking at bringing him in to just see how it goes until summer after all. If he comes in and he's a disaster then we'd be stuck with him. I'd guess that his interview would have been to convince them that it'd be worth going with a more risky appointment. I'd have thought the direct questions would be, amongst other things:

- what would his approach to the Motherwell job be right now?

- what's his knowledge of the Scottish game and direct opposition? He's not been involved in the game up here for 17 years.

- would he be willing to work with the current coaching staff or would he need to bring in his own people?

- what's his track record like with player development?

- what's his track record like with youth development?

- what does he look for in recruiting players?

So on and so forth. Barring the first point, little of that necessarily applies to the job that Robinson will be asked to do if he's given it until summer. He's being asked to get the team organised, grind out wins and try to keep us in the league. End of. Valakari would be required to do that and present his overall approach to management.

The idea that they shouldn't have spoken to Valakari or that it's somehow disrespectful simply because they had/have a preferred candidate and are erring on a path that's presenting less risk is pretty daft tbqhwu. It's just seething for the sake of it. I'd have thought he'd have been interviewed to give him an opportunity to convince them that he was the right man for the job and give them confidence to move away from their preferred option.

I can't help but feel this whole thing hasn't been handled very well.

In what way?......the club have said nothing until an appointment is made which is the way it should be. Perhaps you are reacting to the speculation on here which as in any messageboard will contain the usual mixture of views and conjecture.

My preferred option is Robinson till end of season but have no problem with club exploring other options.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Might instill a bit of passion back into the dressing room.

On what are you basing that assumption ? I am not getting this enthusiasm for appointing somebody with i assume a limited if any knowledge of the current Scottish game, an average at best record as a manager in a league that probably nobody in Britain sees any of the matches or knows the standard. Yes he was an average at best player for us 20 odd years ago but why would that or any of his other qualities inspire passion, i bet the vast majority of the squad don't have a clue who he is.

I haven't really followed this thread that much, but I suppose at a quick glance my earlier post was my fairly uneducated opinion of proceedings.

After reading Capt_Oats well articulated summing up of the situation, I don't know what else the club could've or should've done differently.

• Like 1

On what are you basing that assumption ? I am not getting this enthusiasm for appointing somebody with i assume a limited if any knowledge of the current Scottish game, an average at best record as a manager in a league that probably nobody in Britain sees any of the matches or knows the standard. Yes he was an average at best player for us 20 odd years ago but why would that or any of his other qualities inspire passion, i bet the vast majority of the squad don't have a clue who he is.

Im not assuming anything, hence the use of the word might.

Simo was a better than average player for us. He would stroll into the current team.

That of course is no guide to what kind of manager he would be. I agree he would be a risky appointment but if he is the best candidate then he should get the job.

Robinson has no track record in management at all. The only pro's for him is we know him a bit better.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't to an extent. Make a quick appointment and some will be slating them for having rushed into it. Be perceived to have taken too long and they'll get slated for having dallied and not knowing what they want.

We're in relatively safe hands with those in the caretaker position currently. They should take as long as it takes until they feel they've got the best person for the job.

• Like 4

If we are looking 'under the bonnet' (Dempster must have gave him that one) then you can understand us taking our time, particularly with the international break next week. Again though, the ongoing delay suggest the Board are not sure about Robinson.

The limited noises coming out the club when McGhee was sacked implied we wanted an appointment before the Aberdeen game. I therefore suspect we had 1 or 2 in mind but it's not come to fruition and we are now fumbling around trying to find the best of a relatively poor bunch (or not giving up in our original interests).

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't to an extent. Make a quick appointment and some will be slating them for having rushed into it. Be perceived to have taken too long and they'll get slated for having dallied and not knowing what they want.

We're in relatively safe hands with those in the caretaker position currently. They should take as long as it takes until they feel they've got the best person for the job.

100% agree.