The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Hopefully we have a plan involving a half decent replacement, if we are to be emptied by any offer for Heneghan. When we thought we might get a few more miles out of McManus and Heneghan's form was doubtful, I was all for letting him move on. Now McManus is done and Heneghan has looked better, we need to consider where his departure will leave the squad, as well as the cash we might bring in.

Its very difficult for the club if players leave at the last minute but I assume we have targets lined up if some combination of Moult, Cadden and Heneghan leave.

Its very difficult for the club if players leave at the last minute but I assume we have targets lined up if some combination of Moult, Cadden and Heneghan leave.

The problem is how late they leave it if it depends on other targets at the buying club.

We get offered 500k for Ben (for example) at 11 on deadline night. Too much to knock back but not enough time to pull the trigger on the replacement. Difficult decision.

This was my response to the story in the Record linking Heneghan with Hull:

This whole thing about getting Motherwell players cheap really annoys me.

I read fans saying he’s rubbish and that we should accept £200 000 and be thankful.

Nonsense. He is a major player for us and I would be gutted to see him go.

I don’t care he is out of contract next season as unless we get a good fee for him, he’s worth more in the team.

Personally, I think we should be asking for £1 Mil. (looking at similar-ish players championship teams have bought) and stop selling on the cheap.

I’d settle for £750 plus 25% sell on.

I stand by it!

Scottish football has got into this rut of selling players cheaply, compared to other countries round Europe. It's time we said 'Can I have some more please'!

If he'd come through our academy, 6-700k would be realistic due to development fees.

Right now, however, 2-300k would be about right. I think we'll sell somebody this window, so might as well be him. Not because I don't like him as a player, but because he should be easier to replace.

This was my response to the story in the Record linking Heneghan with Hull:

This whole thing about getting Motherwell players cheap really annoys me.

I read fans saying hes rubbish and that we should accept £200 000 and be thankful.

Nonsense. He is a major player for us and I would be gutted to see him go.

I dont care he is out of contract next season as unless we get a good fee for him, hes worth more in the team.

Personally, I think we should be asking for £1 Mil. (looking at similar-ish players championship teams have bought) and stop selling on the cheap.

Id settle for £750 plus 25% sell on.

I stand by it!

Scottish football has got into this rut of selling players cheaply, compared to other countries round Europe. It's time we said 'Can I have some more please'!

Quite right to be standing by your convictions. You'll be waiting a long while before the club achieve your expectations though.

There's a small issue of market forces and they most certainly are not in our favour.

Inside the SPFL is a joke account. Constantly puts up nonsense then deleted any tweets he gets wrong.

Even if 150k was true there's not a chance we would take that. Mabye double would get us thinking.

Andy Devlin's tweet was posted at 14:09, Agent Scotland posted 14:14 with a "slight" difference to make it look #ITK. It's actually astounding that people actually engage with the utter chancer.

• Like 2

I’d settle for £750 plus 25% sell on.

That's a hell of a difference in those two figures mate!

• Like 3

If a bidding war could get up to 400K certainly won't get anymore but wound think 300K would probably do it with a sell on clause.

The thing that annoys me is that if Heneghan was playing at a league 1 or 2 club in England, maybe even national league Blackburn would probably be having to bid 2 or 3 times that amount.

• Like 1

The thing that annoys me is that if Heneghan was playing at a league 1 or 2 club in England, maybe even national league Blackburn would probably be having to bid 2 or 3 times that amount.

It's annoying, but it is what it is. Without knowing how much it costs to keep the lights on at an average League 1 or 2 club every week, it's hard to know what sort of transfer fees they need to bring in just to balance the books every year, and how that compares to us. In an ideal world a club would pay the same for the same level of player regardless of where they were buying, but at the end of the day it's a business transaction, and they'll pay the smallest amount the selling club can afford to accept.

We picked him up from the Conference. I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

Transfer fees in general don't make sense, but we are getting smarter with add-ons, and that is where we can get better value from a player.

To be honest in the 2nd half of last season I thought Heneghan was absolutely horrendous. This season like the first half of last he has done pretty well. Does the basics right for the most part and has good potential. Finally it looks like we are getting a bit of solidity at the back, it would be a shame to lose that. 150k is laughable IMO, I hope we kick anything under 400/500k into touch. Heneghan is the type of player that would absolutely walk it in League 1 and a Championship team will come in for next year and offer a million for due to the bizarro world financial climate down there. I would really surprised if he moves to anything below a middle table Championship team, there are far worst defenders in that league

• Andy_P locked this topic