Refereeing Decisions This Season

Well-Made

I am starting to feel like a Celtic fan and thinking there's a conspiracy afoot to see ICT and Motherwell relegated this season...

2 goals not given against Dundee, one against Hamilton, both our nearest rivals and all 3 would've given us extra points on the board. On top of that you have the red card binge we went on earlier this season and how none of them were successfully appealed, despite seeing other worst tackles not even having the ref talking to the player..... even better Brown's tackle was a red. Then Halliday gets away with a challenge in the semi final game, the next day a Celtic player says the fact that tackle wasn't punished should be vindication for over turning Brown's red..... shockarooni.. days later it's reduced to a yellow....

However I then start thinking ICT game, we got a goal that may or may not have been but I can't think of anything else that's went in our favour, so the paranoia starts again... did we get that goal to ensure ICT struggle to stay up.. plenty of time to down us.... Schalk gets a penalty that never was against Celtic to give them an extra point..

Then I slap myself on the face and look a little wider at the some of the refereeing decisions around the country and see the likes of Falkirk getting a penalty for one of the most blatant dives ever and you start to realise that the referees and assistants this season, no matter what the level are worse than they have probably ever been but you can garauntee over the Summer that they will be looking for more money for next season....

I have been against goal line tech and video reviews but I am now wondering if we should be doing something down these lines. I know clubs in Scotland can't afford goal line tech so it leaves video reviews, I know we could use two other officials like they do in some other competitions, but I have seen them not give goals or advise the ref of incidents in the penalty box,

So to video reviews, you'd have to have cameras looking along the goal line and possible ones just behinf the goal line or around the goals, then you'd be looking at ones to cover the penalty area.... feasible? Possibly not... so once again leaves us with the human element so do we have to accept the standard we are currently seeing and jut say get on with it or should we be pushing clubs and the relevant bodies to make the training of the refs better and responsible for their decisions.... If a red card can be rescinded, why can't a goal be given or struck off on review and the points adjusted accordingly?

I have went on a rant here and I'll apologise for that but would be interested to hear others thoughts on the best way forward,,,,, or even if anyone else is feeling a little paranoid.... :)

Add to that Jim, a perfectly good goal chalked off at Firhill and Inverness being given an "offside" goal at Fir Park a few weeks ago. Yesterday Dundee could easily have had 3 players booked in the first half hour. Things certainly aren't going for us are they?

Oh, and I'm stunned by the media silence over our disallowed goal yesterday........not.

Video reviews would waste the game in my opinion because everybody loves a good tackle it may be is red or not but it's part of the game but I 100% agree with goal line technology as it it's fantastic but I feel as though the league should be paying for these improvements

The league is the member clubs though....

I don't think there is an agenda against any team especially though I do find the decisions to uphold Kiernan and Browns appeals this season to be flabbergasting.

As for us, we've had three red cards this season which is about average across the league and I think two of them were fair enough (Lucas and McDonald) and one that was a joke (McHugh) but we didn't appeal it. I know lots of people disagree with McDonald's but I think his straight leg, off the ground.

Offside decisions happen sometimes - I actually think we maybe gained one yesterday as I'm not convinced Cadden was onside when Ainsworth poked the ball across.

If we end up in the play off, our complete inability to compete in the midfield and defend set plays will be why, not referees.

If you remember back to 2014, we were all moaning we had no luck all season long and then we hit the last week of the season and we got a softish penalty against St Johnstone, the Inverness shot hit both posts, Aberdeen were denied a one on one with a shocker of an offside call and then we got Craig Reid's goal and sealed 2nd place. Not suggesting that will happen again but football is a funny game.

If you remember back to 2014, we were all moaning we had no luck all season long and then we hit the last week of the season and we got a softish penalty against St Johnstone, the Inverness shot hit both posts, Aberdeen were denied a one on one with a shocker of an offside call and then we got Craig Reid's goal and sealed 2nd place. Not suggesting that will happen again but football is a funny game.

Off the top of my head and in the same season Aberdeen got an illegal goal at Fir Park when Russell Anderson scored. Nought wrong with Craig Reid's goal in my view and we ought to have had a penalty a few seconds before in any event.

This is becoming a distraction. We need to concentrate on things which we can do something about, like our next performance, and not waste time thinking about crap which has already happened.

Agreed. We've had a rough ride with disallowed goals but if we weren't so incompetent ourselves, we'd be sitting comfortably.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head and in the same season Aberdeen got an illegal goal at Fir Park when Russell Anderson scored. Nought wrong with Craig Reid's goal in my view and we ought to have had a penalty a few seconds before in any event.

I remember making the case to Aberdeen fans that it was 3-1 to them on bad decisions that season. The three being Anderson handball goal, a penalty that was about 5 yards outside the box (early on in the season) and something happened it a cup game which slips my mind, offside goal maybe?

As sickening as the decisions have been, especially of late in crunch matches, I struggle with the notion there's an agenda against us. Certainly things haven't gone our way though. What did shock me was the media harping on about our goal vs Inverness, without pointing out their offside goal, and barely a mention of our legitimate goals vs hamilton and yesterday. Both potentially season defining moments for us. Yet they choose to focus on an incident that (1) evened out another decision in that game and (2) was a game which we scored again and probably would have gone on to win anyway.

For what it is worth, I don't think there is any agenda behind these decisions. Luck plays a part in sport and we have had a bad run, but that is just the way it goes sometimes.

There was a New Zealand athlete at the last Olympics who was in a good position before the final day's competition, who then had a poor day and failed to gain a medal. They were asked by their media what they were going to do now. The answer was that he was going to go out that night, have a few drinks, think about what might have been, how unlucky they were and feel sorry for himself, before adding and tomorrow, I will just have to get over it.

Against our nearest rivals had 4 good goals not given 2 over line v Dundee and 1 over line v accies and 1 wrongly given offside I don't think theirs an agenda but it's pretty shit tbh to not get 4 goals against the 2 teams directly above you as would be above them if given but it's done so just need to move on .

Referees get £850 per top flight match.

That's more than a lot of the players will be earning.

The standard is absolutely deplorable and yet these guys are coining it in for what is essentially a part time gig.

I don't disagree, but this crop is supposedly the best we've got.

The challenge is how do we make them better? It should be possible, but like most of the flaws in our game, the authorities rarely have the appetite for long term changes.

Need to stop just pinning the blame on the defence. Our "goals for" tally has been dismal too.

Can't agree with that Weeyin.

We've scored 40 goals, second best in the bottom 6 and only 1 less than County who've scored the most. We've also scored more than Partick, and only 6 and 9 less than St J and Rangers respectively.

The 64 in the GC column is undoubtedly the issue for me. I appreciate some of our goals have come in gluts - 4 vs Accies, 4 vs County, 3 vs ICT, but at the minute we need to score minimum 2 goals to even pick up a point (1.88 average goals conceded per game) which is abysmal.

I don't disagree, but this crop is supposedly the best we've got.

The challenge is how do we make them better? It should be possible, but like most of the flaws in our game, the authorities rarely have the appetite for long term changes.

The thing is there is no way referees like Andrew Dallas are the best we've got.

The whole thing is a self interested clique with barely any accountability.

• Like 1

The thing is there is no way referees like Andrew Dallas are the best we've got.

The whole thing is a self interested clique with barely any accountability.

He's probably not. But they aren't going to appoint the best one to our game every week.

So we need a deeper pool of talent and, going back to my original point, I don't see anyone in power working to create that pool (including, like you say, accountability).

Can't agree with that Weeyin.

We've scored 40 goals, second best in the bottom 6 and only 1 less than County who've scored the most. We've also scored more than Partick, and only 6 and 9 less than St J and Rangers respectively.

The 64 in the GC column is undoubtedly the issue for me. I appreciate some of our goals have come in gluts - 4 vs Accies, 4 vs County, 3 vs ICT, but at the minute we need to score minimum 2 goals to even pick up a point (1.88 average goals conceded per game) which is abysmal.

Most teams need to score 2 goals to get a result. We have failed to score 2 in far too many games this season - in fact in something like 23 of our league games this season we have scored 1 or less. Not the way you win games in our league.

Every time theirs a terrible decision they call for technology when in fact it's mostly shit referees .The Moult goal wrongly disallowed against Accies and the goal line goal not given v Accies and given v ICT were close calls but the 2 over line against Dundee were well in and the Skippy goal at Thistle was well onside so just total incompetence.That together with bad goals conceded and chances galore missed is why we are where we are so imo a combination of all 3 not just bad decisions .