Bert Mccann

Kmcalpin

My dad took me to that semi final. Absolutely brutal tackle and my hatred of all things Rangers stems from that day.

The half back line of Aitken Martis and McCann trips off the tongue of every Well fan of that vintage.

If I remember correctly McCann was highly educated man with a university degree in languages.

• Like 1

Bert was in the first 'Well team I saw. Cultured and a good passer. Story I heard was that Shearer justified his dreadful tackle by saying, "He shouldn't have riled me." It definitely affected Bert's later career.

Wille Hunter sustained a compound fracture of his arm in another match with them.

Like sinjy, it has coloured my views of Them ever since.

He and Charlie Aitken were immense for us.

Thanks for some great memories, Bert.

Quite envious of those that got to see that team play. My dad used to rave about them.

RIP Bert.

To complicate matters even more, an old pal of mine, who sadly died in May, called Pat Quinn "Iniesta before Iniesta was born". Then there was Demi-God Willie Hunter and Andy Weir, the crosser supreme.

And some guy called St John or something....

Great memories, but great memories were made for me last night too.

And so we all go on with The 'Well...

To complicate matters even more, an old pal of mine, who sadly died in May, called Pat Quinn "Iniesta before Iniesta was born". Then there was Demi-God Willie Hunter and Andy Weir, the crosser supreme.

And some guy called St John or something....

Great memories, but great memories were made for me last night too.

And so we all go on with The 'Well...

Yes indeed.

Im sure all the younger generation are as envious of the '91ers.....

I was fortunate to watch one of the best Motherwell teams to win nothing" The Ancell Babes", and Bert McCann was one of that famous half back line Aitken Martis McCann, and in later years played golf with Bert. McCann, when the former players played at Wishaw. A really lovely articulate gentleman. RIP.

• Like 1

Bert along with Charlie Aitken were two of my dads favourites . I saw the team play as a very young boy when my dad took me to most of the 'Well' home games in the early 60's. My big regret was not being allowed to go to Charlie Aitkens testimonial against Rangers as my dad always said that the gers fans hooligans. Not much change there then.

I saw almost all the home games in the 56-60 era, except I wasn't allowed to go to the Rangers and Celtic games, and the best description of the Ancell Babes was "pure football". IMO the best games were against Hearts. Teams from all over the place, including Brazil, came to play, and after soundly beating Leeds, they wanted to buy the whole forward line. Never been a team like them since. Bert McCann was simply magnificent as a player and as a person. Aitken, Martis, McCann, wow. With all we can get on YouTube surely there must be something of them that todays young bucks could look at. When was the last time any team other than R/C had so many internationalists.

Agree entirely with Fairhill and as 2/6 to get in says lots of young kids of that era were privileged to watch a brilliant football team but were not allowed by their parents to go to games involving the gruesome twosome because of the support that followed them. Some things never change.

COYW.