The League Cup 2018'19 Thread

postiejim

Could make things more difficult for us, if they can bring in someone who can make a difference.

Feel a bit sorry for Miller. Without knowing any of the circumstances beyond results, he has scarcely been given a chance. However, if the board feel that his appointment has been a serious mistake, then they need to act quckly and decisively. Of course, being the people who made the appointment, maybe they should also consider their own positions at the club?

9 hours ago, Katie said:

As an optimist (see also ‘happy clapper’) myself, I don’t really see what the issue is in highlighting the potential for a really tough game. 

Ha ha.

Some people have taken against me and kick out at virtually anything I say, even when if you isolated what exactly I said, they would actually agree with me.

But hey, that's the fun of the forums.

Watching game on Saturday Miller seemed to spend whole 2nd half getting deeper and deeper telling everyone what to do and in turn done absolute nothing himself due to this . Imo board have noticed this and decided not able to do both jobs so wanted him to concentrate on management only when he’s more interested in playing .

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, superward said:

Although it was dross on Sunday I'm not actually that fearful for Wednesday. If we can keep it tight for the first half were in with a chance....not sure Hearts offered much apart from our gift when we last played them.

I admire your optimism but we can't keep hens oot a dustbin 

3 hours ago, superward said:

Although it was dross on Sunday I'm not actually that fearful for Wednesday. If we can keep it tight for the first half were in with a chance....not sure Hearts offered much apart from our gift when we last played them.

Teams are obviously aware that if they score first and sit tight they are near enough guaranteed three points.

We have barely made a chance this season and when we have scored it's been down to defenders slipping and set pieces. Johnstone's goal at Livi was the only one tha doesn't fit description.

I have my doubts but getting through (note we might not necessarily have to actually win) here is far from beyond us.  We have consistently risen to the occasion in Cup ties against top flight sides over Robinson's tenure and I would hope that would be the same on Wednesday.  Whether that is enough to beat Hearts though that remains to be same.  Celtic finals apart this is arguably as difficult a fixture as we've had in the Cup games. 

Points taken about the manner in which we've scored this season and obviously we would want to be scoring a good deal as a consequence of our own open play but when it comes to Cup games it's all about getting through and I'll be content enough if it's an OG, penalties or a shot that was heading for the corner flag deflecting off a Hearts defenders arse f it means we get through.

Hope to fuck they've been practicing their penalties after Stranraer though in case it comes to it!!

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Teams are obviously aware that if they score first and sit tight they are near enough guaranteed three points.

We have barely made a chance this season and when we have scored it's been down to defenders slipping and set pieces. Johnstone's goal at Livi was the only one tha doesn't fit description.

Yep spot on.

The optimist in me hopes for no defensive mistakes for the first 45 and something slightly different tactically....the realist in me thinks another turgid game...

1 hour ago, superward said:

Yep spot on.

The optimist in me hopes for no defensive mistakes for the first 45 and something slightly different tactically....the realist in me thinks another turgid game...

I don't think we have much choice but to try and grind something out on Wednesday night. It will be backs to the wall.

I'd like to see us try something different on Saturday though as Clarke has owned Robinson tactically they two times we've played them.

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Anybody got our stats on shootouts?

Can remember a few we’ve lost v Hamilton, Alloa, Stranraer

Only one I can remember winning off the top of my head was at Cappielow in 1991.

I was there when we beat Stoke on penalty’s after drawing 2-2 in Texaco Cup

Keith MacRea saved 2 that night … … got a funny feeling he scored with a penalty as well

3 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

I was there when we beat Stoke on penalty’s after drawing 2-2 in Texaco Cup

Keith MacRea saved 2 that night … … got a funny feeling he scored with a penalty as well

Yes he did.  I was there as well and we left for our bus with Stoke about to take a penalty to win it. McCrae saved it, scored one, and saved the next one (as we headed back to the bus). Still we sang with everyone else on the bus home think I was about 14.

I don't think we have much choice but to try and grind something out on Wednesday night. It will be backs to the wall.
I'd like to see us try something different on Saturday though as Clarke has owned Robinson tactically they two times we've played them.
A bit harsh.... he has though owned Rodgers in the 4 times he has played Celtic......class act is Mr Clarke. I Saw that 8 of the Killie team who beat Celtic were in the team that got thumped 5 nil just before he took over.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

A bit harsh.... he has though owned Rodgers in the 4 times he has played Celtic......class act is Mr Clarke. I Saw that 8 of the Killie team who beat Celtic were in the team that got thumped 5 nil just before he took over.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Aye it's impressive that he took the squad McCulloch had which we were all talking about as relegation candidates and improved them so much. The game they beat us at Fir Park they completely shut us down any time we had the ball and took away our passing options.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, sbcmfc said:

Can remember a few we’ve lost v Hamilton, Alloa, Stranraer

Only one I can remember winning off the top of my head was at Cappielow in 1991.

We've lost twice to Accies as I remember one at home, one away.  Also lost to Hibs at Fir Park.

Wasn't at the Cappielow match, I had school and wasn't allowed to go, so I can't think of us actually winning one.

I think I can vaguely remember a penalty shoot out in a Lanarkshire Cup final.....but can't remember who won......I might be making that up though!

We beat Airdire, I think, in a Lanarkshire Cup shoot out. But I think that may have been the semi. My Lanarkshire Cup memories are a bit hazy.

I haven't see us in a lot of penalty shoot outs. Probably because I'm of the age where a lot of my Cup memories are from the days of multiple replays all the way to the final.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, sbcmfc said:

As far as I can tell its:

1986-87 Celtic Lost

1990-91 Morton Won

1995-96 Clydebank Won

1996-97 Alloa Lost

1997-98 Inverness Won

1999-2000 Raith Rovers Won

2003-04 Forfar Lost

2011-12 Hibs Lost

2014-15 Hamilton Lost