2018'19 Game 6: Aberdeen (A) Saturday 22nd September 2018

Yabba's Turd

14 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

He is not playing well but he has shown that he can be a great player. Juatvhopw he gets through form slump sooner than later. As said though I think how he is being played and who plays beside him is a big factor.

Is it just a matter of where he's playing? I've not seem him deliver a ball well for quite some time and, bar his shot against Aberdeen, I've not seen him connect with a shot in a while either. He had two great chances against Hearts to get a shot on target and neither of them made the highlights because he hit them so poorly. I think it's got to be a matter of sitting him on the bench and trying to get him to work his way back into the side. Get Tait in at RWB on his natural foot to deliver some better balls into the box. 

I find criticism of Cadden puzzling. 

We shout and clamour to get young players in the team (see Turnbull and Maguire) yet we pillory them when they dont perform?

The guy is 22. He has over 100 appearances for Motherwell already and has been in both full and U21 international squads so he cant be as rubbish as some make out.

He is not excempt from criticism and if the team was settled and playing well, I think he would be fair game. But to have a go at him in the current circumstances is imho unfair.

This is a form slump. Not entirely unconnected to how he is being asked to play, the number of games he is playing and the general inconsistency of the team. He will come good again. I have no doubt about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We shout and clamour to get young players in the team (see Turnbull and Maguire) yet we pillory them when they dont perform?

The guy is 22. He has over 100 appearances for Motherwell already and has been in both full and U21 international squads so he cant be as rubbish as some make out.

He is not excempt from criticism and if the team was settled and playing well, I think he would be fair game. But to have a go at him in the current circumstances is imho unfair.

This is a form slump. Not entirely unconnected to how he is being asked to play, the number of games he is playing and the general inconsistency of the team. He will come good again. I have no doubt about that.

This for me is actually a factor as much as anything else for his recent performances. I think he's burnt-out. We've all seen what Cadden is capable of on his day but he's been off the boil for a while now.

His Scotland call-up, as great as it was for him, probably couldn't have came at a worse time as it meant him being in South America for nearly a fortnight rather than getting a full summer break. Factor in that he's been a regular starter for us for nearly 3 seasons now as well as away with Scotland U-21s during any international break and you can perhaps understand why he's hit a slump. Given that we have put an emphasis on beefing up our squad over the summer, I think it would make sense to start actually using some of these players and give him a rest for a few weeks.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Cadden has gone backwards at a rate of knots and played all his best football under McGhee.  Robinson doesn't know what to do with him and the player is being ruined.

For me he is never a wide player in a million years.  He doesn't have the technical ability or the ball skill to perform that role.  Frear, a very average wide player, is streets ahead of him in those regards. 

His attributes, strength, decent pace, energy, point him towards being a box to box midfielder but while I don't think he's being utilised properly Cadden has to take on his own self development.  His goal return is pathetic, his final ball has been really poor, and recently he's looked lost and disinterested. While player performance doesn't always boil down to stats Cadden has something like 0 goals and 6 assists from his last 43 league matches and that's just not good enough. At the end of the day you can't put that on the manager and it's down to the player to give himself a shake.  Being played out of position is no reason to not be able to cross a ball.

If Cadden comes back into the team Rose should be being dropped and Tait should be playing on the right hand side.  That way you have a runner (Cadden), a ball winner (Campbell) and a ball player (Bigi) in the midfield three and that seems much more balanced that of recent times. The left hand side position is a problem but you don't sort a problem by causing bigger problems elsewhere so Robinson needs to get thinking instead of sticking with something that's not working.  At least he tried something different on Saturday even if it didn't work but we have something like 50 professional players on our books so I'm sure one of them can play at left wing back.

Genuine question - Can I ask why every stat I recall you mentioning relates to league matches?

Why don't cup, or international appearances count? I don't have the knowledge/data to say that would make things any better or worse. I was just wondering.