Odds and Sods Motherwell Thread

Andy_P

Is there a place for a thread for the wee Motherwell bits and bobs you come across and maybe aren't worthy of a thread of their own?  Time will tell I suppose.

I'll start us of with a snippet from a feature on Andy Robertson on the BBC where John Rankin, one of his former team-mates mentions us in a fairly complimentary light.

"I remember Motherwell away in December 2014," he says. "It's a difficult place to go to at the best of times. We won 4-0 that day, but I remember looking at the score and [at that point] it was 3-0.

"Andy used to always bomb forward and I'd cover for him. I turned to him and said, 'Don't go anywhere. There's only eight minutes to go, I want you to sit in'. I once played in a game where we were 6-2 up at Fir Park and it finished 6-6. Motherwell never know when they are beaten.

I thought his perception of us as a team and Fir Park as a venue was quite interesting.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Kenny Dalglish giving us a good write up as a club in this article.  

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/liverpool-icon-sir-kenny-dalglish-hails-motherwells-business-model/

Nice to see some positive comments about how the club is operating and from a true Scottish football legend as well.

Both Celtic and Rangers fans are just as bad as each other in that sense.

I have a friend who is a Rangers fan who thinks the old firm game is the biggest game in world football and everyone in Scotland is seriously interested in it.   The fans of those two hold their respective clubs in such high regard that they genuinely think the fans of all the other clubs secretly support them or the other side as well. 

As for Dalglish commenting on Turnbull being a Celtic fan he was no doubt advised by someone in the media that this was the case. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

Just found this on ya tube. First game I attended against the Buns. Obviously, they get their usual dodgy pen.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJENCLdOAo

Of course they did -  you only need to see who the referee was to know that would happen - a certain Mr JRP Gordon who was subsequently banned, found to have accepted "gifts for favours".

33 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Of course they did -  you only need to see who the referee was to know that would happen - a certain Mr JRP Gordon who was subsequently banned, found to have accepted "gifts for favours".

Later that same season, he did us out of a cup final place with another really dodgy pen against the h**s in the Scottish Cup semi. 

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

Later that same season, he did us out of a cup final place with another really dodgy pen against the h**s in the Scottish Cup semi. 

One of the worst nights in my 'Well-supporting life. A few minutes before the notorious "penalty", Willie Pettigrew was chopped down by Captain Courageous John Greig in the box at the Rangers' end with the score at 2-0 to us, right in front of Gordon. He saw nothing then, yet gave a penalty while about 40 yards away against Rennie as tubster Derek Johnstone (aka U-99 fell) over on the edge of the penalty box. We crumbled after that, perhaps sensing the stacked deck we were playing against. Ian Archer in The Glasgow Herald (when it was a newspaper) later gave a withering account of the refereeing standards of Gordon and his linesmen. At least the Gordon-led  Scottish threesome who cheated Levski Sofia against  AC Milan were caught and punished.

And then came the huge hail-storm after full time just to finish off a terrible night.....

Bitter, moi? I try not to be but the old memory cells just won't let it go :dash2:

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

One of the worst nights in my 'Well-supporting life. A few minutes before the notorious "penalty", Willie Pettigrew was chopped down by Captain Courageous John Greig in the box at the Rangers' end with the score at 2-0 to us, right in front of Gordon. He saw nothing then, yet gave a penalty while about 40 yards away against Rennie as tubster Derek Johnstone (aka U-99 fell) over on the edge of the penalty box. We crumbled after that, perhaps sensing the stacked deck we were playing against. Ian Archer in The Glasgow Herald (when it was a newspaper) later gave a withering account of the refereeing standards of Gordon and his linesmen. At least the Gordon-led  Scottish threesome who cheated Levski Sofia against  AC Milan were caught and punished.

And then came the huge hail-storm after full time just to finish off a terrible night.....

Bitter, moi? I try not to be but the old memory cells just won't let it go :dash2:

Was my first ever night watching the 'Well at Hampden that was. I was 12/13 or so. Went home in fucking tears that night.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Was my first ever night watching the 'Well at Hampden that was. I was 12/13 or so. Went home in fucking tears that night.

If you wish to replace your  misery with anger, watch the 1978 3-5 Motherwell-Hens match on YouTube, when they rioted to stop the match with us leading 2-0 and zilch was done about it, IIRC.

I tried posting the clip on here recently but failed miserably.

21 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

If you wish to replace your  misery with anger, watch the 1978 3-5 Motherwell-Hens match on YouTube, when they rioted to stop the match with us leading 2-0 and zilch was done about it, IIRC.

Was at that one as well :-( Saw most home games in the 74/75 season, got my first season ticket (when it was a ticket and not a 'book') in 75/76 and went almost every week from then to 04/05 when I moved away. Saw more than my fair share of robbings at the hands of the tims/buns/refs.

2 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Was at that one as well :-( Saw most home games in the 74/75 season, got my first season ticket (when it was a ticket and not a 'book') in 75/76 and went almost every week from then to 04/05 when I moved away. Saw more than my fair share of robbings at the hands of the tims/buns/refs.

A final thought: it seems that UEFA can fine Sevco fans  for singing sectarian songs but the SFA lacks the will. Some things never change.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

A final thought: it seems that UEFA can fine Sevco fans  for singing sectarian songs but the SFA lacks the will. Some things never change.

UEFA are pretty weak on these things, though, as their track record on racist abuse demonstrates. For example:

The world governing body fined England £16,000 after a young England player used an energy drink which was not that of the official sponsor at last year's Under-20 World Cup.

The sanction was £6,000 less than Russia's fine for the racist abuse of France's black players during a friendly in March.

21 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

I have hated that horrible horrible football club ever since.  When they died they should have been left to rot. The SFA panders to them at every turn.  No action taken against them for that incident. Today they still bring their bigotry to all area of Scotland yet it is UEFA who sanction them. And their support thinks the SFA is against  them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sinjy said:

I have hated that horrible horrible football club ever since.  When they died they should have been left to rot. The SFA panders to them at every turn.  No action taken against them for that incident. Today they still bring their bigotry to all area of Scotland yet it is UEFA who sanction them. And their support thinks the SFA is against  them. 

Try typing  motherwell 3 rangers 5 into you tube and you will get a rangers TV video of the game with most of the crowd trouble edited out.