2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Personally I feel we should go nowhere near this lad! 2 transfer fees in the same summer gets me thinking back to the early John Boyle years or (shudder) the McLeish era and gives me the fear!

Aye its fine paying 50 grand for a Mark O'Hara and 200 grand for a promising youngster , but its a slippery slope and next thing you know we will be forking out £150k for an Andy Roddie, £400k for a Shaun McSkimming, £250k for a John Hendry and £200k plus 2 players for an Eddie May! :dontknow::lol:

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Personally I feel we should go nowhere near this lad! 2 transfer fees in the same summer gets me thinking back to the early John Boyle years or (shudder) the McLeish era and gives me the fear!

Aye its fine paying 50 grand for a Mark O'Hara and 200 grand for a promising youngster , but its a slippery slope and next thing you know we will be forking out £150k for an Andy Roddie, £400k for a Shaun McSkimming, £250k for a John Hendry and £200k plus 2 players for an Eddie May! :dontknow::lol:

Such positivity. I would hope we have learned our lesson. I very much suspect any fee will be offset by whatever we are still owed for Kipre and / or we reduce offset against sell on clause. That plus a small cash fee will all that we can afford to offer. 

Absolutely no way we will be paying hundreds of thousands of £.  Not a chance unless the management team are convinced they have a Lawrence shankland mk 11 and as posted above confident of selling Lang on for many multiples of transfer fee. But again I doubt any fee paid will be over £100k in hard cash. 

• Like 2

Totally agree with Welldaft in regards to the club being better run now but we are in need of a striker who can give us +15 goals if we are to have any ambition and I suspect that Lang will do that. Robertson will no doubt be wanting to cement our place in the top 6 and have a chance in Europe of at least getting through 2 rounds. Having chased this guy he appears to believe this guy is what’s needed to do that so I think the club must back him and show commitment to those ambitions with a realistic hope of getting a good return on this outlay. 

I’ve also no doubt that Kipre has told Lang that Motherwell Is a well run club and is a great club to further his ambitions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Totally agree with Welldaft in regards to the club being better run now but we are in need of a striker who can give us +15 goals if we are to have any ambition and I suspect that Lang will do that. Robertson will no doubt be wanting to cement our place in the top 6 and have a chance in Europe of at least getting through 2 rounds. Having chased this guy he appears to believe this guy is what’s needed to do that so I think the club must back him and show commitment to those ambitions with a realistic hope of getting a good return on this outlay. 

I’ve also no doubt that Kipre has told Lang that Motherwell Is a well run club and is a great club to further his ambitions. 

Think the young guy Lang could well be a good addition for us, however we have good experienced players in Watt and White with the latter having the best scoring  record of all 3.

Maybe White will be the dark horse out the strikers, who knows but if Lang comes in the competition is good for a crucial spot in the team.

13 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

In actuality it will only be the home gates v Livingston, Hamilton and Dundee United as fans will be back in grounds by early September if not before. United will be a hit because as their 1st away game they probably would have brought 1500+. The other two well not really much to add.  So anticipated hit will be 2500 x £x.  Probably circa £40-£50k.  

A drop in the ocean v £600k extra we got for finishing 3rd v previous season or the circa £500k we probably got in Furlough payments.  

On the assumption that we aren't allowed crowds back into Fir Park until January, then here's a back of a fag packet calculation.  We miss 2 "Old Frm" home games and perhaps lose gate income from 16,200 fans in total. Say they pay an average of £16 per game that brings in £259K gross. Deduct VAT and that gives us  a net loss of about £207K plus extras like catering and hospitality. A bit of a hit yes but not catastrophic.

Right now there is an argument to say that home crowds up to 30-40% of capacity should be allowed back for start of the season. That is still 6 weeks away. 

At the very latest and with a fair wind we are talking some point in September. 

The Scot Gov has done a very decent job tackling Covid19 and as we move into Phase 3 this week is it even plausible we wait a further 10 weeks before we move into aspects of phase 4 ? Bearing in mind each phase was to be reviewed every 3 weeks. 

I cannot see how for the next 80 days we are told we have 0 deaths (hopefully) and single figure cases or 0 and we are told we need to wait a further 2 to 3 months. 

As stated if we can keep the momentum and see no major spikes then early Autumn at the latest for fans to be back at grounds in some capacity. 

12 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Such positivity. I would hope we have learned our lesson. I very much suspect any fee will be offset by whatever we are still owed for Kipre and / or we reduce offset against sell on clause. That plus a small cash fee will all that we can afford to offer. 

Absolutely no way we will be paying hundreds of thousands of £.  Not a chance unless the management team are convinced they have a Lawrence shankland mk 11 and as posted above confident of selling Lang on for many multiples of transfer fee. But again I doubt any fee paid will be over £100k in hard cash. 

I did hope the smileys would indicate my post as a joke, unfortunately clearly not for some.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Given other clubs are allegedly interested in Lang as well, I think the club are seeing him as an investment and that he'll be back out the door in 12 months time. If that's the plan I hope it works.

If that is indeed the plan (as I also expect it is) its imperative we get him on a 3 year deal. 2 years is utterly pointless, unless he goes on to score 20+?this season

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Right now there is an argument to say that home crowds up to 30-40% of capacity should be allowed back for start of the season. That is still 6 weeks away. 

The Scot Gov has done a very decent job tackling Covid19 and as we move into Phase 3 this week is it even plausible we wait a further 10 weeks before we move into aspects of phase 4 ? Bearing in mind each phase was to be reviewed every 3 weeks. 

I cannot see how for the next 80 days we are told we have 0 deaths (hopefully) and single figure cases or 0 and we are told we need to wait a further 2 to 3 months. 

As stated if we can keep the momentum and see no major spikes then early Autumn at the latest for fans to be back at grounds in some capacity. 

The biggest drawback for getting fans into games is the toilet facilities within grounds.

At our bowling club we have been playing for about 5 weeks now but clubhouse, locker room and toilets must remain closed 

Toilets might require cleaning after every use how do we manage that in football grounds??

We have been overdue a switch from quantity to quality. £200,000 seems like a lot of money in terms of a one off payment but all the duds we have signed over the past few years will have cost us way more.

Also when people are throwing around transfer figures from the 90s you have to remember inflation and that the clubs turnover has increased greatly since then. In real terms even if Lang costs that much it's still less than Andy Roddie.

It's easy to think that it's still the 90s when you are in the East Stand listening to Oasis and the Stone Roses but it was 20+ years ago!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Toilets might require cleaning after every use how do we manage that in football grounds??

Toilets are open in shops and have been a the way through. 

If people are worried about toilets don't scud 6 pints before the game!

14 hours ago, weeyin said:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we are losing the entire revenue from every home game because the season tickets are guaranteed to give 19 home games. So whether we lose the income now or when we honour the guarantee next season, we lose the income for the entire crowd, not just the away fans.

Aye, that's something a lot of people are overlooking. We just need to hope this online streaming ticket proves to be a success, at least bringing in some form of money from non-season ticket holders.

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Yip but they have to be cleaned regularly 

It not the people using them that are the problem it’s the fact that it could lead to a spread of the virus 

ps don’t shoot the messenger take it up wi Wee Nicola 

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

ps don’t shoot the messenger take it up wi Wee Nicola 

Nicola is the messenger. It's those pesky doctors with their science and their data that keep spouting all these facts.

If you want to see what happens when you ignore them, take a look at the graphs from the past 2 months of all the US States that eased restrictions too quickly (because they didn't believe the science). They have had spikes that would impress Vlad the Impaler. 

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

We're getting away from transfer chat a bit here, but I suspect things will be determined by how well people can (or can't) behave themselves with a pint in them. If we're still seeing similarly low figures three weeks after beer gardens/pubs are open then I'd tend to agree with you that we'll see some fans back in grounds soon. Still sceptical though.

Anyway, Lang. If the reported £100-200k fee is accurate would he be our highest transfer fee of the last 15 years? Can't remember us paying more than a 'nominal fee' for anyone during my time supporting the club.

Aye for me the guy looks like me is in the mould of what we normally go for looking at his stats i think he could easily be a 15 plus goals a season hope we get him.

I honestly think this is one of the best squads we have had for a number of years jusy oozes quality all over the park only place I worry about is the wings if the main guys get injured. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

We have been overdue a switch from quantity to quality. £200,000 seems like a lot of money in terms of a one off payment but all the duds we have signed over the past few years will have cost us way more.

Also when people are throwing around transfer figures from the 90s you have to remember inflation and that the clubs turnover has increased greatly since then. In real terms even if Lang costs that much it's still less than Andy Roddie.

It's easy to think that it's still the 90s when you are in the East Stand listening to Oasis and the Stone Roses but it was 20+ years ago!

To be fair people don’t have a clue at the size of the fee or how the deal has been put together, is it tied to Kipre ? However I would agree that if it’s the right player ( and we have to trust Robinson on that one ) on a 3 year deal it could end up a money spinner. No one seems to have a bad word to say about him, every club would love to have him back, he’s young, and from the clips definitely has some skill and looks very confident.

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

We're getting away from transfer chat a bit here, but I suspect things will be determined by how well people can (or can't) behave themselves with a pint in them. If we're still seeing similarly low figures three weeks after beer gardens/pubs are open then I'd tend to agree with you that we'll see some fans back in grounds soon. Still sceptical though.

Anyway, Lang. If the reported £100-200k fee is accurate would he be our highest transfer fee of the last 15 years? Can't remember us paying more than a 'nominal fee' for anyone during my time supporting the club.

My concern is that the vast majority of fans would behave and follow guidelines in terms of social distancing and entering and exiting stadiums. However the younger lads and lassies would likely find it difficult to avoid jumping on one another if we score. 

Not having a go just know it will be difficult to manage and control. 

But as heard on news just there it is looking promising as per my original post. 

How are we sitting for cover in at right back should grimshaw be unavailable ? Can Gallagher or Lamie fill in there ? 

I think Gallagher could and maybe Donnelly.Right back is a position we could improve along with left wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk