2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I honestly think this is one of the best squads we have had for a number of years jusy oozes quality all over the park only place I worry about is the wings if the main guys get injured. 

Agreed. Usually a third place finish would see the squad taken to bits in the summer window but there doesn't seem to be any of the usual rumours of bigger clubs having their eye on anyone. We've also made what looks like good signings and got decent cover in most positions. I'd say with the exception of Gallagher or Carson, we'll be able to adapt to any losses. For the first time in a while, I've also got faith in a manager and recruitment team to bring in quality. 

It's also great to hear the manager say that this is the strongest squad he's had at the club. If we do keep the spine of the squad and make a few shrewd additions then there's every reason to be optimistic for the upcoming season. 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

We have been overdue a switch from quantity to quality. £200,000 seems like a lot of money in terms of a one off payment but all the duds we have signed over the past few years will have cost us way more.

Also when people are throwing around transfer figures from the 90s you have to remember inflation and that the clubs turnover has increased greatly since then. In real terms even if Lang costs that much it's still less than Andy Roddie.

It's easy to think that it's still the 90s when you are in the East Stand listening to Oasis and the Stone Roses but it was 20+ years ago!

Andy Roddie........what a strip !!!!

-jHQx-PQJFJynbQQQ87c9qS3SmB14hx-8PMeIqLR

11 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Would appear to suggest he is staying and if so then no Lang.

Was excited about Lang but also big fan of Long. Just hope if true then he can get his focus and attitude right.  If he kicks on from last season then very exciting. 

Lang is still very much on the cards, a deal has been agreed and everything seems fine so far...

19 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Lang is still very much on the cards, a deal has been agreed and everything seems fine so far...

Bizarre. Not sure we could afford Lang, Long, Watt and White up front. 
That would be strongest midfield and Attacking options in many a year.

Unless we know one of our prized assets is heading out the door also.....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Bizarre. Not sure we could afford Lang, Long, Watt and White up front. 
That would be strongest midfield and Attacking options in many a year.

Unless we know one of our prized assets is heading out the door also.....

I know covid has had a massive effect on a club like ours but when you think we’ve let go 3 big parts of our squad wage wise (Gillespie, Hartley and Tait) also players like Ilic and Manzinga as well as other dead wood and every youngster who was out of contract. This year could be very different and we show more ambition than before. Lang is someone who comes under the “can play across front 3” and so does Long so both offer something in other areas which is a plus.

4 hours ago, supermarv said:

I know covid has had a massive effect on a club like ours but when you think we’ve let go 3 big parts of our squad wage wise (Gillespie, Hartley and Tait) also players like Ilic and Manzinga as well as other dead wood and every youngster who was out of contract. This year could be very different and we show more ambition than before. Lang is someone who comes under the “can play across front 3” and so does Long so both offer something in other areas which is a plus.

I would guess that Fox won't be earning as much as Gillespie but don't know if the difference will be that significant. We've already brought in two defenders this summer and I'm guessing that whatever we're paying O'Hara will be costing more than the proportion of his wages we covered  while he was on loan. How much we've saved by not having Manzinga and Ilic on the wage bill, I don't know but again I  don't imagine it'll be a massive amount. 

If we're going to persevere with 433 with two wingers, then four centre forwards seems excessive. Lang may well be able to play on the wing but Long is a centre forward, nothing else. The same has to be said of White and Watt. Long or Lang, not both. Have never seen Lang play but didn't really rate Long so not fussed. Let's not waste a wage on a fourth striker though. . 

I'm going to assume this was drawn up a while ago and they've sent it out already, it's just a billboard so shouldn't be taken as any grand sign.

Lang in and Turnbull out but not until late September and I think our activity is done. Maybe a left back on loan if Carroll isn't recovering the way we hope. Also Dunne won't kick a ball for us again.

10 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I'm going to assume this was drawn up a while ago and they've sent it out already, it's just a billboard so shouldn't be taken as any grand sign.

Lang in and Turnbull out but not until late September and I think our activity is done. Maybe a left back on loan if Carroll isn't recovering the way we hope. Also Dunne won't kick a ball for us again.

And seeing some of Burrows Twitter action i'm going to say that everything I said there is balls, and Long is going to resign.

Which makes me think then why are we looking at Lang.

5 minutes ago, johnstone said:

But other than agent talk there has been nothing official about Lang from the club. Could be a load of rubbish.

Getting Long on another year is good business though.

Or it could be that we see Lang as the wide left option?

Tm. Watt / Long / White

Lw. Lang / Seedorf

Rw. Hastie / Hylton

Am. Turnbull / Polworth

Long & Watt quite similar so 6'4 White is a different physical option to the others. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

You are aware we have signed not one  but two guys who can play at left back?  Lamie at a push and McGinley who should be first choice at that position.  

I think it also has to be borne in mind that this is by no means a normal season that is looming upon us.  Whereas four strikers, if indeed that transpires, or what appears to be an additional body or two in midfield and defence might be seen as excessive in normal circumstances these are not however normal circumstances.

I think we are seeing a degree of contingency planning built in to the squad building in considering however many European fixtures we might feature in (although in reality there  is every chance we might end up with less games than had we played a League Cup group stage - but you still need to be set up for them nonetheless), the abbreviated number of weeks available to get the league campaign concluded and the absence of the winter break.  And there also remains the potential for the campaign to be disrupted further through weather or a second Covid-19 spike.

It's perhaps not something we could support normally but it seems sensible to me given the variables we know of to be well covered.

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

And seeing some of Burrows Twitter action i'm going to say that everything I said there is balls, and Long is going to resign.

Which makes me think then why are we looking at Lang.

Link to the twitter activity please? My initial thought also was that it's just a billboard.

Given how proficient we have become on the social media and digital front, did people seriously think we had put a billboard up in a prominent part of Motherwell featuring a player who had  recently turned down a contract extension? 

• Thanks 1