2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

In terms of rebuild - first mistake was resigning players who aren't good enough to be auto first choices.

From who we have signed.
Kelly , Ojala, Slattery , VV all look very decent.
O'Conner also looks decent - don't know why he's been dropped.

The others don't look good enough - albeit Woolery may need time to settle down.

we need to sign another quality 4 to go right through the team 

Please tell me what Slattery or Ojala have done in a Motherwell jersey to date to be in the very decent category apart signing from reputation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Please tell me what Slattery or Ojala have done in a Motherwell jersey to date to be in the very decent category apart signing from reputation

Personal view - Slattery looks to be a decent player - he can pass - which is something the rest of our midfield struggle to do.  

Ojala - you're right, purely on reputation.  I didn't see him yesterday so difficult to say for sure. 

I haven't seen Ojala or Shields yet. Having seen the rest of them, Slattery and Kelly look good enough, O'Connor looks to have potential.  Van Veen, Woolery and Amaluzor don't look anywhere near good enough. They might come good but so far they look like out of their depth...

I haven't seen Ojala or Shields yet. Having seen the rest of them, Slattery and Kelly look good enough, O'Connor looks to have potential.  Van Veen, Woolery and Amaluzor don't look anywhere near good enough. They might come good but so far they look like out of their depth...

Did you not see Van Veen against Hibs different class

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Ojala yesterday looks promising he had a few scary moments ( still not sure who was supposed to be marking Ashcroft for the winner) but it was his first game so hopefully he will improve.

Shields I think he will come good, he is certainly not scared of having a go at goals, but probably need to persevere with him, even King Louis when he arrived took a couple of months to start scoring, so patience is required (I hope)

We need a holding midfielder who can fucking demand the ball off of Rickie Lamie and play short, sharp passes. Donnelly is not that guy, and Crawford is half hearted in his efforts to take the ball off the defence. Someone in the Gorrin mould.

I like Lamie, he's a solid defender, but his distribution is absolutely honking. I don't know if Alexander tells him to constantly go long with it or if it's his own doing, but it is a massive problem.

Watt & Van Veen are great with the ball at their feet. Woollery is rapid. Let's use these attributes and not smash long balls at head height for the bruisers of this league like Jason Kerr and Andrew Considine to win all day every day. It's turgid to watch.

24 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We need a holding midfielder who can fucking demand the ball off of Rickie Lamie and play short, sharp passes. Donnelly is not that guy, and Crawford is half hearted in his efforts to take the ball off the defence. Someone in the Gorrin mould.

I like Lamie, he's a solid defender, but his distribution is absolutely honking. I don't know if Alexander tells him to constantly go long with it or if it's his own doing, but it is a massive problem.

Watt & Van Veen are great with the ball at their feet. Woollery is rapid. Let's use these attributes and not smash long balls at head height for the bruisers of this league like Jason Kerr and Andrew Considine to win all day every day. It's turgid to watch.

agree with all of this. 

Which begs the question - what happens at training to improve this turgid crap 

14 hours ago, GazzyB said:

If you take our last three first pick DMs which I would say are McHugh, Gorrin and Donnelly you'll notice only one of them was an actually midfielder by trade and I know which order I'd rate them in.

Sometimes football ain't rocket science.  It's a defensive MIDFIELDER.  Not a defender IN midfield.

• Like 3

https://insidefutbol.com/2021/08/16/motherwell-fail-with-bid-for-defender-considering-new-offer/523552/

Motherwell Fail With Bid For Defender, Considering New Offer

16/08/2021 - 12:15 BST

INSIDE FUTBOL

Motherwell have had a bid for Mjondalen defender Sondre Solholm Johansen rejected, but could well return to the race with a fresh offer as they look to snap him up.

Johansen is out of contract at Norwegian side Mjondalen at the start of 2022 and Motherwell have zeroed in on him as a potential recruit in the ongoing window.

The Scottish Premiership side slapped in an offer for the player, but it has been rejected, according to Norwegian outlet Nettavisen.

General_Motherwell_620_pa.jpg

However, Motherwell are claimed to strongly want to sign Johansen and are considering going back in with an improved offer.

The Scottish Premiership side though are not the only club keen on the 26-year-old.

Several sides are alive to Johansen’s situation and could well make a move to rival Motherwell for his signature this summer.

He has clocked 15 appearances in the Norwegian top flight this season, chipping in with one goal and one assist.

Johansen is an experienced campaigner and has turned out in both the Norwegian top flight and second tier.

It remains to be seen if Motherwell will win the race for his signature as he edges towards the exit door at Mjondalen.

7 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

If we sign Johansen then that's him, Ojala, Mugabi, Lamie & O'Connor for centre half. I wonder if we'll see Lamie or Mugabi move on.

Given our track record with defensive injuries, we might need more than that.

17 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

If we sign Johansen then that's him, Ojala, Mugabi, Lamie & O'Connor for centre half. I wonder if we'll see Lamie or Mugabi move on.

There’s also McGinley and Devine and you could also count Donnelly and Maguire in there as well

Is everyone blind at the club where are the midfielders that we are desperately calling out for !!!!!! 

5 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Is everyone blind at the club where are the midfielders that we are desperately calling out for !!!!!! 

It's never about missing what we need. It's always about can we afford it and do they want to sign for us.

The benefit of an academy is that we got someone like Campbell or Turnbull for free. The downside is there is no way we can afford players like that to replace them. It's not a simple problem to solve.

20 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

There’s also McGinley and Devine and you could also count Donnelly and Maguire in there as well

Maybe we're doing the most Motherwell thing imaginable and signing this centre half to play in midfield.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic