Mmg Off To Celtic

Easy Target

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck sake. Hall of the damned for this shit.

No hall of the dammed for this shit. it is fair for fans to demand to know where the club and it's staff stand. Although it is just as fair for the club to not say anything because tbf there is not much for the club to say - to be honest I'm fucking peeved that no mention has been made of Hughes, Smith and McLean (unless I have missed it).

Yes the criticism is a little harsh at times in this thread of both Motherwell and McGhee but lets be honest not much else to talk about is there?

I wish this would hurry up and get resolved. We need to know if we have a manager or not so we can prepare for Europe and the start of next season. The silence is deafening from McGhee on this issue. I'm one of McGhee's biggest fans but i'm also sick of him being linked with every job and him not speaking out, open yer mouth Mark and let us know what's happening, you either want to leave or you don't.

Personally i think he will go and if he does decide that, then the sooner the better, if we want to keep him then i think it's down to John Boyle again give him a bigger salary.

...if we want to keep him then i think it's down to John Boyle again give him a bigger salary.

As far as I'm concerned, that cannot be allowed to happen. He either sees out his existing contract or he is allowed to move on but we simply can't afford to hand out pay rises to the management team every summer when it means we have less money for signing players.

As far as I'm concerned, that cannot be allowed to happen. He either sees out his existing contract or he is allowed to move on but we simply can't afford to hand out pay rises to the management team every summer when it means we have less money for signing players.

Spot on.

I wish this would hurry up and get resolved. We need to know if we have a manager or not so we can prepare for Europe and the start of next season. The silence is deafening from McGhee on this issue. I'm one of McGhee's biggest fans but i'm also sick of him being linked with every job and him not speaking out, open yer mouth Mark and let us know what's happening, you either want to leave or you don't.

Personally i think he will go and if he does decide that, then the sooner the better, if we want to keep him then i think it's down to John Boyle again give him a bigger salary.

He's apparently on three hundred grand a year as it is, forget that. If he wants to stay at Motherwell then fine, if he wants to bugger off to Aberdeen that's his choice. Let's not bankrupt the club to keep him.

I suppose that is the problem in getting a manager with a profile. The bigger teams will come poaching. Same thing is happening down south wigan small team (lowest attendances in the english premiership) get their manager taken by Sunderland. Martinez up and coming taken by Wigan. Real issue then is for Smeltics size (attendances pretty much guaranteed trophies and europe) why is a manager opting for wigan. Has to be either money or better league. Outside the old firm the league is of a low standard in comparrison, indeed you can argue that the old firm are shite too. Old firm can't compete until the rest of the league gets a better standard.

MMG did well 1st season. Second season was disappointing but I really think that was down to harsh injuries (look at our perfomance post christmas). He has links to both aberdeen and celtic so they in the current financial situation with the recession and setanta, with the pound having a poor performance against the euro are looking for someone in scotland to step up. Am just gutted that Aberdeen could take our manager, but in the end that all comes down to finances. Aberdeens finances are better than ours.

Question is if MMG does go, what is our next step? Do we have a list of targets? Malpas anyone?

Was having a little look at one of the Celtic boards to gauge opinion and they have a poll running asking who would back McGhee if he was appointed.

One third (33%) have voted that they would not back him. Best fans in the world!

The funniest bit about it, is that those who have voted yes are blaming the no vote on lurking Gers fans trying to sabbotage the figures. AAAhhh made me chuckle on a Friday eve.

Or maybe Martinez has already had a sniff of the bigotry that hoes on during his brief stint with us and wants no part of it - particularly with his other half being Scottish.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that the bigotry and 'politics' of the two Glasgow clubs puts off players and managers from signing for either of them. The only things that would put them off I reckon would be the obvious ones like money and standard of league and also if the player or manager in question had a previous connection to the 'Old Firm' club that he is not linked to.

One of the reasons Coyle didn't take the Celtic job apparently was the size of the transfer kitty. He is apparently getting more at Burnley.

Rangers and Celtic aren't the big attraction they used to be for any manager in the Championship or the EPL.

The lack of money in Scottish football just now is going to hamper any manager at whatever club. Yes Rangers and Celtic will continue to dominate but not at the levels they did before. It won't be too long until they see getting close to making the group stages in the Champions League as being a success.

If McGhee does go to Celtic he is going to find it hard going attracting the quality of player that the best fans in the world will demand.

If he goes to Aberdeen he will probably just retarget the guys he was looking at bringing to Motherwell but whether he'll have much more funds than us (at least this season) is debatable. I say this season due to the comp they'll need to pay us and the money they already used to get rid of Calderwood and co.

I fear for a lot of clubs if this Setanta deal goes Southwards. There are a lot of clubs that will already of budgeted this money into their factoring even if only for upgrading the stadia etc. That money will have to be found elsewhere and if we're paying McGhee £300K a year then we may be better of letting him go and rediverting that money elsewhere.

Odds on Betfair show Mowbray as the strong favourite. McGhee was down to 3/1 there (I have a cheeky wee £3 consolation bet at 23/1) but has moved to 7/1 with Mowbray the front-runner.

Aberdeen then Mark?