• Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because players have to respect the manager enough to do what he tells them. look what happened to newcastle when the players lost respect for bobby robson or le guen at rangers. the players at barcelona had looked up to guardiola since they were kids, the same thing goes for walter smith at ibrox and when mcghee came into motherwell you can guarantee the players were getting him up on wikipedia and finding out what he had done in the game.

you live in america, who are the best coaches in the NFL, college football or american football? generally it's not ex players, it's guys like bellicheck, coack k or urban meyer who have spent more time studying the game than playing it. wenger and mourinho have had success along similar paths but it seems that in football players are generally unwilling to play for some who hasn't played at a level equal to them.

So basically you agree with me, as I'm sure you don't earn a player's respect by telling them to pass the ball to each other.

Steelboy has hit the nail on the head!

Respect is key for a club the size of ours and now my choices sway towards the likes of Gary McCallister, or Paul Lambert.

Think if I was going the "former player" route, Lambert would get my vote ahead of Gary Mac, just based on Gary's comments about the gig the last time he was asked. Of course, we don't know that Lambert doesn't think the same, but at least he hasn't said so :lol:

1/ he turned out a youth training system that would leave ours in the shade .........and ours is very good indeed :lol:

2/ Can't remember offhand who his head coaches were but each and every one of them speaks very highly of Luc. :lol:

3/ Co Adriannse (?spelling) went out of his way to entice Luc from Telstar to red Bull so yes he was headhunted :P

4/ No :D:D:D

I'll stand corrected, but I've never seen any of these quotes or references. But its not me he has to convince its prospective employers and he's been over looked a few times and for all the alleged plaudits, his managerial track record speaks for itself.

But that sounds too much like Luc bashing, he is a legend and if he is a future manager of Motherwell, I hope I'm wrong.

I just don't get the enthusiasm for Luc Nijholt that everyone else has. I think it smacks of the same shite that celtic fans trump on about, expecting their manager to have some mystical connection to the cause. Just my opinion mind.

See, I kind of agree with this. I don't go for the 'returning hero' bit as he won't be much of a fucking hero any more if he leads us into a relegation dogfight, even if that happens through no fault of his own (finances, etc).

No, go for someone with something to prove (and, erm, good managerial and coaching skills) rather than getting all misty eyed about the past. Maybe someone with no prior connection to the club would best fit the bill but above all else, get it done quick. Our season starts before everyone elses and at this rate John Boyle will have to register himself as a player just to get through our first couple of games.

Scott Leitch will be Caretaker manager for the first two games in Europe to give us time to find a new manager. After this he will join up with McGhee at Aberdeen or Smellick wherever he goes. Whoever we get I will give them ma upmost support as always. A only hope if he loses the first 3 games the fans don't get on his and the teams backs as always. This is a time for all the fans to pull together and SUPPORT the team because i feel this is gonna be a long hard season and criticising the team wil not help one iota.

For what it's worth, I think you need someone with experience who will provide stability and so sustain the good work of the past of couple of years. Someone who knows his way around the SPL and can get the best out of his players on a limited budget. Finally, someone with a bit of attitude and charisma who will get 'Well punching above their weight.

Of the options in the poll I went for Calderwood.

For what it's worth, I think you need someone with experience who will provide stability and so sustain the good work of the past of couple of years. Someone who knows his way around the SPL and can get the best out of his players on a limited budget. Finally, someone with a bit of attitude and charisma who will get 'Well punching above their weight.

Of the options in the poll I went for Calderwood.

Thank fuck you added the bold part as everything else sums up Jim Jeffries :O

No fecking way................

Former Celtic striker Chris Sutton has put his name forward to replace Mark McGhee as Motherwell manager.

McGhee is in talks to take over at Aberdeen and the 36-year-old is eager to take his first managerial steps in Lanarkshire, in a role that would see him join up with his brother John who is a striker at Fir Park.

Sutton was linked with the Inverness job in January when Craig Brewster left The Highlanders and he would like to be considered if McGhee does head north.

“I have a lot to offer and under the right circumstances I believe I'd achieve good things,” Sutton told The Evening Times.

“I'm serious about giving this a try, but I need to be given a chance. There does appear to be a number of gaffers out there doing the rounds.

“Many have failed at previous clubs, taken them backwards, yet still get offered other jobs. It's frightening really. I played 17 years at the top level and understand tactics and players.”

Sutton could face a fight with Neil Lennon, Paul Lambert and Gordon Chisholm, who are all linked with the Fir Park role if McGhee is announced as Jimmy Calderwood’s successor at Pittodrie.

So basically you agree with me, as I'm sure you don't earn a player's respect by telling them to pass the ball to each other.

i don't agree with you at all.

malpas and mcghee were about the same level as players. mcghee before he came to motherwell had no managerial achievements which would impress our squad. so they basically started off on the same level.

the difference is mcghee demanded high standards of fitness and commitment. while malpas spent very little time at the club and set a poor example to the players. on the park he gave very little guidance and most of his tactics were stick ten men behind the ball and hit it at mcdonald.

here's another example. if i became england manager and did exactly what fabio cappello has down to the finest detail it wouldn't have worked, the england players respect cappello and they wouldn't respect me. there are plenty of people out there smart enough to be effective football managers in every aspect except controlling and influencing players. why wenger and mourinho have been able to do this is a mystery.

Didn't the hibees demand Frank Sauzee? That was a disaster

I think there is a difference between what will get the fans excited and what is best for the club. For me the names I think are exciting are Gary McAllister, Luc Niljolt or Paul Lambert because of the link with the club and the possibility that this could go really well and we are top 3 again next season. The downside to these names are, it is a risk

On the other hand there is Jimmy Calderwood, Gordon Chisholm, Jim Jeffries who will head us towards mid to lower table respectability without the fear of relegation but without setting the heather on fire either.

Personally I would rather take the chance and head for Europe or the First Division next year. 11th place safety makes me think one thing, Maurice Malpas. Why not. It looks like the SPL is going down the toilet anyway.

Scott Leitch will be Caretaker manager for the first two games in Europe to give us time to find a new manager. After this he will join up with McGhee at Aberdeen or Smellick wherever he goes. Whoever we get I will give them ma upmost support as always. A only hope if he loses the first 3 games the fans don't get on his and the teams backs as always. This is a time for all the fans to pull together and SUPPORT the team because i feel this is gonna be a long hard season and criticising the team wil not help one iota.

If he loses the first 2 games there won't be a third <_<

I reckon a good shout for the managers job would be Davy Hay as he clearly knows scottish football inside out and also remember he was the one who brought the likes of di canio to Celtic so he can spot a player <_<

That was Tommy Burns, no?