Best And Worst Motherwell Performances You Have Seen

trafficlight

My apologies if this has been covered ( and it's likely ) but in the absence of any football to discuss general chat becomes more prominent.

So all you steelmen/steelburds, with the countless number of 'Well games seen between you, which performances spring to mind as those which left you feeling you had seen the best football ever played anywhere, on the one hand, but had you questioning whether you could put yourself through it again, on the other? Football from the Gods and football from the abyss.

Give us your recollections.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are going to lots of candidates so I'll limit my ramblings to one of each to allow others to throw in their own.

Best - Probably the display in Dortmund in the UEFA Cup in 1994. A sensational performance that with a wee bit more luck in front of goal could have been arguably the greatest match in our history.

Worst - Oh its pick one from about 100 when you've watched Motherwell for 30 years. A personal horror show for me was the 3-0 loss to Airdrie in 1992. We'd failed to build on the Cup win, the team had nosedived, negativity poured from the support, square goes were being offered across the East Stand as folk struggled to adjust to the loss of the shed and being stuck next to folk they didn't want to. This epitomised it for me. Another Alex McDonald team had suckered us into a kicking match and capitalised as we pathetically tried to match them physically. When it got to 3-0 I lost it and stormed out - as my mates in the Airdrie end, knowing where I sat, gleefully watched on.

A couple of more recent games.

Worst; A 5-1 home mauling at the hands of Livingston which Mr Woods was more than culpable for a few goals.

Best; Still trying to decide between the 6-2 win over Hibs at Fir Park, the 4-1 win at Easter Rd or the couple of doings we handed out to Raith Rovers home and away. I'll get back to you when I make my mind up.

Outwith the Scottish Cup final, 6-1 demolition of Hearts at Fir Park and humping Hibs at Easter Road in McGhee's early days are two of the finest performances.

So many dreadful performances over the years, with Scottish Cup defeats at home to inferior opposition particularly hard to take. Two losses to St Johnstone spring to mind, think both were quarter final matches under Davies and Malpas respectively.

6-5 defeat starring Goram, Spencer, Goodman & Co to an Aberdeen team that had barely scored a goal or picked up a point remains the most bizarre game.

best - honourable mentions - sticking six by hearts the season we finished bottom. two nil over rangers at fir park on the last day when spencer and twaddle scored. dortmund away. the 4-3 semi defeat against rangers. grinding out a one nil win at parkhead when twaddle scored. the jamie dolan in goals win over celtic. the fitzy semi against hearts. total football on a sunny day against partick with billy davies scoring a brazil 1970 esque goal. the 3-1 win at at pittodrie when jim hamilton scored the volley

but for pure performance i'd go for a quartet from last season. the two away victories against hibs and the december wins against aberdeen and dundee united, watching those games i found it hard to believe that we could ever play better football than that.

worst - the 1-6 home game against hibs when we played like renton and sickboy's five aside team at the start of trainspotting. the 1-4 home defeat to caley was shocking that season as well.

total football on a sunny day against partick with billy davies scoring a brazil 1970 esque goal.

I have been waxing lyrical about that goal for years, does it exist in video anywhere because I'd dearly love to see it again. My wife and daughters, who were volunteers at a club for handicapped adults, had got tickets for the match from the club to take along some of the members and were in the main stand that day.

Of course they were too busy keeping an eye on their charges that teh whole match passed them by and they didn't see the goal.

Worst was in the latter days of Tommy McLean's reign and it was a performance against Hearts in which we were absolutely atrocious. Passes went astray, shots were poorly struck, the 'keeper was fumbling everything, and at one point Kirkie was out on the wing in front of the East Stand a pass was played out to him and he lifted his foot to stop the ball, the ball rolled under his foot and went out for a throw, that was enough for me. The 1-0 lose to Airdrie in the Scottish Cup semi-final was the hardest match I have had to endure, it was the last time a defeat left me in tears.

Best, the semi-final against Celtic in 1991 rides high on my list, the 3-1 defeat of Spurs in the Texaco Cup, coming up to date the 3-0 thrashing of Aberdeen a couple of weeks before we lost Phil.

Guest 'Flow

For one that no-one has mentioned - What about the 0-2 last day of the season win in 07/08 against Hibs at Easter Road?

We had already qualified for Europe and had the cigars out big time. Seem to remember young Murph tearing big Jones as new backside that evening... Great 'Well support too!

Worst - The one game that always sticks out in my mind, probably because it was recent, was the 4-1 defeat at East End Park at the erse end of Maurice's reign! That was a truly awful, awful evening and after thinking we were safe for most of the season, began to have real doubts about our ability to stay in the division.

I know last season was a bit of a let-down but even then, it is still night and day away from what we went through only a few years ago...

'Flow

One of the worst I personally witnessed was a 3-0 defeat away to St. Mirren in the Scottish Cup in 2005/2006. Utterly terrible. Can't remember a shot on goal. Pretty sure Sutton scored that day.

So many positives from 2007/08 it is hard to pick.

Best? Going to Greyskull, there to make up the numbers, there to just play second fiddle whilst the locals conga-d to George Square. Stuffing them 2-0 and it took them over FOUR minutes at the start of the game to get out their own half. That was absolute magic.

Worst? Getting humped 5-0 up in Perth at the start of the Davies reign. There have been others, but that had me about as angry as I've ever been as a 'Well fan. It was bizarre that 10 days later we comfortably saw off a star-studded Rangers side at Fir Park!

I have seen some real stinker's but under Malpas I had to stop going to games i just couldn't cope with the stress. Opening Day of his era versus Rangers, despite losing just 2-1 rangers over ran us and could have won by far more. The press raved about Paul Le guen and co.. but it was proven that we were just utter pants. Getting beat with ICT 4-1 at home, Hibs 6-1 at home and losing a 2 goal advantage to St Mirren rank amongst my worst.

BEST BITS - Def beating Hearts 6-1 under Butcher was a high with such a young team. Beating Celtic on last day of the season in 2005 was pure magic. Tik fans were near me and my family and gave us pelters all game. Scoring in 88 Mins was quality......to cost them the league and shut them up when we had been written so clearley off

Was watching a certain dvd with that Hearts game on it just the other day. Tremendous performance. Had forgotten all about Alan McLaren trying to half McGrillen after he scored at the South Stand end.

Best for me might just be the CIS cup display at Easter Road last season, irresistable football that night.

The best - beating Dundee 6-3 at Dens Park in the 70s. Last season's 4-0 drubbing of Dundee United is one of the better ones.

The worst? Last season's 1-0 defeat to Falkirk at their place last November must rank as one of the worst. Probably too many horrific performances to recall!

Best - Beating Celtic in the Scottish Cup Semi Final , Dortmund Away and the 6 - 1 game against Hearts are high on my list.

Worst - Too many to mention but in recent times losing 3 - 2 to St Midden under Malpish is up there with the best of them

Best Games: Any victories against the Old Firm, highlights being

Celtic Games

1-0 win at Parkhead around 1994/1995ish (Fergus McCann's Home Coming Party Game)

2-1 win at Fir Park Scott McDonald Day

1-0 win at Fir Park, Tommy Coyne in the Scottish Cup game

2-1 win at Fir Park, O'Donnell double (2nd goal was a cracking strike after McNally had raked in a 35 yarder)

4-3 win at Hampden, needs no further details!!!

Rangers Games

2-1 win at Ibrox, everyone invading the blue tracking after the second goal

2-1 win at Fir Park, near the end of season, Coyne Pk i think was winner, Sieb had a blinder, making at least 6 great saves from Drunken Ferguson.

2-0 win at Ibrox, the nine in a row party spoiler

3-0 win at Fir Park in the run-up to Scottish Cup Final

2-0 win at Fir Park (maybe 2-1) as Rangers Nine-in-a-row era came to an end, believe Falconer scored winner with a diving header in a muddy goalmouth wearing the white away kit.

The Nightmares;

5-0 pumping at St Johnstone with Stevie Woods being lobbed from 40 yards by John Davies (possibly??)

3-1 pumping by Hearts around 92/93 at Fir Park, Stevie Kirk scored our only goal

7-1 pumping by Celtic after Spencer was sent-off for "vicious" slap

Various Cup exits to Alloa, Airdrie, St Johnstone, ICT, Dundee, etc etc

2-2 draw at Fir Park against Rangers in Scottish Cup, Stevie Kirk blows Kevin Christie's back-pass straight to Durie

The Day Oots;

Various drunken trips to Aberdeen over the years

Inverrurie in Scottish Cup

Inverness 09' 2-1 victory

Carlisle Pre-Season around 98/99, spent the game at the bar

Nancy Away - boozy do

Killie Away - road closed so never made match, ended up one hell of an all-day bender in Motherwell

Plus many more drunken days away over the years

i love these threads - always throw up things you've long forgotton brilliant.

best games

Wullie P era game vs Killie at FP - ended up 5-4 or something. Pettigrew was on fire.

Getting a draw vs sellick at Hampden in the old Skol Cup - a tremendous performance from a Div 1 McLean era 'Well - almost snatched it with a Graham Forbes header.

Last season in that fateful day vs United - probably the best football I've seen from a 'Well team.

Softie Saturday vs rangers - in '91 (i think) - they thought all they needed to do was turn up to win the title - - was it 3-0 well in the end I think - with softie almost taking the net into hyperspace - the dent in their goal diff gave Aberdeen a chance to win the title but they bottled it at greyskull the following week.

The comeback vs Hearts in the cup last season deserves a mention too - the definition of deternination and digging deep.

The semi final Vs celtic in '91 ("Don't hit it from there O'Neil")

Vs The h**s at Fir Park when the shimmy king scored what I think was the winner (Russell and Cooper were something to behold at times)

Gahagan and Cusack scoring in a 5 goal routing of Dunfermline at EEP

I'm sure there'll be more

The Bad

recent cup exits vs St Johnstone, Accies and Dundee

recent league game vs Killie and Accies at NDP in December

The countless 6-0 / 7-0 humpings vs the OF in the Jock Wallace era

The penultimate game vs pars at East End park under Malpas