The Sun Today

ScottW1886

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thirded. The guy is just doing is job. I think it is just moronic to criticise him for writing this story. The reality of it is that two people who follow our club (don't want to refer to them as fans) attacked an old man until he had two black eyes, and anyone who thinks that is an incident that deserves watering down should take a long hard look at themselves!

I don't actually disagree with you - you've picked up on a conditional comment I made about if someone wanted to blame Scott or The Sun for the lack of mention about the positive elements of the support in Wales, my money was on The Sun.....

Peace!! :huh:

Sure, sorry I mistook you earlier for a hack too, grave insult :D

Oh and well said Scott, glad you are taking this hulabaloo in your stride.

Bloody hell :lol:

Erm...ok...where do I start here?

Quite bemused as to the response on here from certain quarters. The story with Mr Miller made it into today's Sun after we followed up on it. I fail to see how it is painting the club in a negative light, considering it makes reference to Mr Miller being helped out by fellow supporters, the club being kind and caring etc. Yes it makes reference to the two yobs who did the damage, however I wouldn't be doing my job if I said a pigeon dropped an ice cream cone on him by accident would I?

As others have mentioned in my defence, people are showing a distinct lack of knowledge of the press industry, which is fair enough as not many on here I imagine are involved in it. The story was written in full where it did actually talk about the well behaved travelling support from the 'Well fans. As Neil and others are mentioned, articles that are submitted to papers are trimmed heavily and changed and sub-edited heavily to suit each individual paper style (a wire can have easily 10+ papers on it). It is outwith my control what gets kept and what gets binned.

For me the story shows our club from an official point of view being pro-active with their fan base, especially with the lovely touch of Dougie going out to meet Mr Miller in person and also Diane paying him a visit. I did contact the club, but due to the relevant staff being abroad no official comment could be made with the club talking about the well behaved majority (this is the same position as the story in the Wishaw Press).

As I said in one PM i received, I'm sorry if some 'Well fans were annoyed by what was printed but at the end of the day it is factually correct. It reports a loyal 'Well fan being attacked by two yobs, and being supported by fellow fans and also the club. Aye it would be nice if the bit about the other 2,000 fans had made it in as well, but that doesn't sell papers...

Scott

You not fed up writing shite :lol:

Get this c**t banned :woop:

fairplay to scott.

the poster who seemed to take most offence to the story was on here last friday trying to suggest that it probably wasn't motherwell fans who commited the assualt. i tihink he's got a few deep seated issues about the 'image of our support' and the rest of them are just clowns ready to be annoyed at anything.

Perhaps the point is we are ashamed of what happened in Wales after our good display in Nancy and some on here are uncomfortable with it being "splashed".

i'm not ashamed of anything. the actions of a couple of scumbags have nothing to do with me.

stuff like this should be highlighted to root out the lowlifes.

Was gutted last week when I read it on here and gutted again today to see it in the papers.

Get well soon Jim without guys like you we are nothing. Without the guys who done it, we will be better. All the best sir I hope you get to enjoy the rest of the season.

As for the guy who wrote it he is only doing his job. If we didnt have scum like that at one of our games he wouldn't have had anything to write about. 2 out of 2000 isn't bad but still 2 too many. Hope "Karma" kicks the shite out of them.

MON the WELL

Was gutted last week when I read it on here and gutted again today to see it in the papers.

Get well soon Jim without guys like you we are nothing. Without the guys who done it, we will be better. All the best sir I hope you get to enjoy the rest of the season.

As for the guy who wrote it he is only doing his job. If we didnt have scum like that at one of our games he wouldn't have had anything to write about. 2 out of 2000 isn't bad but still 2 too many. Hope "Karma" kicks the shite out of them.

MON the WELL

Somes it up perfectly well said

Reporting the truth is very difficult. Nothing can detract from the reality of the total thuggery of the situation . The victim is a true gent who has let the two culprits off the hook. I think the story is worthy of the press attention, whether it's reported in a broadsheet or rag. Scott doesn't need to justify his actions to anyone, and is doing a job.Any other dimension to this situation is spurious, and fudges the issue.

And for heaven's sake, put Kylie out his misery and dob them in!!! :D

How dare you right an article putting the Club in a fairly decent light, trying to help a defence-less old man who was savagely attacked.

How dare you... <_<

Fair play, nae need to batter a 78 year old no matter how many times he asks you to sit down (in an all seater stadium).

Appreciate you coming on scott_mfc and explaining a little bit about the in's and out's of such a story.

Now that this is all cleared up and we are all being so reasonable about it, I look forward to the next time Hugh Keevins writes something negative about the Well and we can all rest in the knowledge that he is only doing his job and after all only bad news sells papers. Or will that be different?

Appreciate you coming on scott_mfc and explaining a little bit about the in's and out's of such a story.

Now that this is all cleared up and we are all being so reasonable about it, I look forward to the next time Hugh Keevins writes something negative about the Well and we can all rest in the knowledge that he is only doing his job and after all only bad news sells papers. Or will that be different?

Is "negative" the same as the honest truth???

Just asking... B-)

The trap Keevins tends to fall into is that he is more and more seeing himself as Keevins the personality and he lets his opinion come into his writing. That's fine if you are writing a column, but not when it is supposed to be an objective report. Jim McLean, for example, is paid to give his opinion in a column - Keevins' job is to be a sports reporter, and so every time he writes subjectively in a sports report, he is not only doing his job.