The 'old Pics Of Fir Park' Thread

trafficlight

Superb knowledge there, arbroath <_<

Was the main stand built to not run the full length of the pitch due to cost ?

Thanks, and thanks for reading it !

I got most of it from a book I mentioned on another post today "A History of the Steelmen 1886-1986" by John Swinburne but the book doesn`t answer your question.

From the same period I discovered that Hughie Ferguson who scored the goal for Cardiff City when they beat Arsenal to win the 1927 FA Cup signed for us in 1916 and went onto score 362 goals before his transfer in 1925 for £5,000. Hughie died young in Jan. 1930.

Another poster mentioned he was related to a player called Frame , a W. Frame was transferred from Clyde in October 1924 for a fee of £550 with an additional £100 for the player himself. Frame made his debut v Dundee in a 2-1 win and his name appears on teamsheets recorded in the book until November 1926

Being a Well supporter for half a century and more, and living round the corner from Fir Park for most of the early years my memory of the stand being built in this fashion was because the owner of the house(s) needed to extend to the corner refused to sell to the club. One house at least would have had to be demolished.

Shirt sponsorship arrives in Motherwell courtesy of Scottish Brewers.

10538td.jpg

The Rangers fans are silenced.

2m2j694.jpg

The Celtic fans are silenced.

2vanj9d.jpg

Putting the Kill into Kilmarnock.

2n6ssva.jpg

Celebration Motherwell style.

p41hl.jpg

Who's the player?

_ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _

20u7fpc.jpg

Peter Miller has King Kenny in his back pocket.

244p3e9.jpg

Half time entertainment Fir Park style.

b6bksl.jpg

The greatest ever goal.

2a5jiwz.jpg

Well players in picture are John Goldthorp (on ground) Willie McCallum (No.5) Tom Forsyth (No.4) Celtic Players are Willie Wallace (No.9) and Bertie Auld (No.:ph34r:. Was at this one - somewhere behind the goals at Taggarts end.

2l8i4au.jpg

My favourite old picture of Fir Park. Way before my time but I would of loved to have experienced it.

Post above

I was at the Texaco cup game against Stoke, during the same era I remember seeing us gubbed by a very good Burnley team, think it was 0-3 and losing 0-1 to an Everton team with Joe Harper in.

Pic at top I recognise Keith MacRae with the red hair, Keith was at Lanark Grammar 5 years above me, whilst at school he played outfield and in goal for `Well reserves and made his first team debut in goal. Our PE teacher at the Grammer was Roger Hynd

Post above

I was at the Texaco cup game against Stoke, during the same era I remember seeing us gubbed by a very good Burnley team, think it was 0-3 and losing 0-1 to an Everton team with Joe Harper in.

Texaco Cup nights at Fir park were fantastic, my fav being the 3-1 humbling of the might Tottenham Hotspur :nod: Great crowd and 3 great goals from Heron, Watson and Donnelly :D

Like the Goose, I don't recall games against Burnley or Everton. Stoke, Coventry, Spurs, Norwich, Notts County and Fulham yes.

This game against Celtic (we lost 0-5) was played at FP on the Saturday before we played and beat Spurs in the Texaco Cup the following Wednesday. Even though Celtic humped us Jock Stein predicted that we would beat Spurs as we played this game with one eye on Spurs.

hx95cn.jpg