Gannon And The Press

steelboy

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With his recent stance with the media and now the SFA and Referees Committee, JG has clearly demonstrated one thing - don't f*** around with him. Gordon Smith and Hugh Dallas now have to demonstrate they are responding to his requests with genuine analysis and action. Any cute sound bites or waffle just won't wash.

I really, really really like our manager. Good on ya Jim. :lol:

Number of fouls doesn't matter - well if it does if one player is persistently fouling and, yeah, he should then get a yellow - but if you commit a bookable offense with your only foul of the game then you should rightly be given a yellow card.

looking at the stats we only got one booking and it was definitely deserved. i get your point but i think the refs should be looking to punish teams that are continually fouling as a tactic. if we had done the same you'd be looking at a free kick every two minutes which would totally ruin any game. it's not a coincidence that dundee united and hibs are way out in front in terms of fouls conceded, they get a big advantage from constantly stopping attacks.

There are official channels we have to go through.

i don't think anyone would be claiming conflicts of interest if they had a chat and a cup of tea in the office at dalziel park. the problem here seems to be things are too official, gannon made his complaints to dallas but dallas isn't in a position to officially respond to them.

i generally don't see any point complaining about refs, we're not going to get new ones and the history of fitba shows there will always be someone who is unhappy. the refs seem to have circled the wagons and are unwilling to budge on anything which is annoying but when you hear the shite they take like off levein on saturday there, willie miller after the hibs-don match and walter smith and davie weir after the killie-rangers game it's understandable.

With his recent stance with the media and now the SFA and Referees Committee, JG has clearly demonstrated one thing - don't f*** around with him. Gordon Smith and Hugh Dallas now have to demonstrate they are responding to his requests with genuine analysis and action. Any cute sound bites or waffle just won't wash.

don't fuck around with him or what?

was there any genuine action after the mike mccurry game at ibrox or the shady run of decisons celtic got that year? no the sfa and the referees won't budge and they don't have to. the only thing that can come out of this is that the refs take a dislike to us. right now jim o'brien seems to have been marked out as a diver and the refs are giving him a raw deal. however reynolds, saunders and hateley seem to get a lot of leeway and big giles has had the benefit of the doubt a few times when yellow could have been red. yassin commited six fouls and never got booked on saturday, i think most refs are aware that we are a clean team and we're benefiting because of it. i hope it won't happen but we could get a petty ref who decides to crack down on us because of this.

as for the media they'll be loving this. anything that fills their pages is ideal for them and jim is writing their stories for them just now. what can we possibly do to the media? if we get totally on the wrong side of them we'll see stories about youngsters form dropping, so many games without a win and stories unsettling our players. it shouldn't damage us but it might with a young team. if he has contempt for the press give them nothing but the bland minimum, he's actually doing them a favour writing program notes and statements like this.

So managers have to sit back and say nothing, because there's no point anywaty and don't upset the weegie media or else there will be trouble? When do certain sections of the media have anything positive/accurate to say about Motherwell anyway? I'd rather have someone like Gannon who wasn't afraid to ask questions, if a few cages get rattled in the meantime so what? Managers should have the right to ask questions and get answers, it's ludicrous that they don't.

As for it affecting the team it's not exactly rocket science that we've gone some time without a win, press speculation about Motherwell is not exactly new, to say that Gannon should shut up just in case some press might write a few stories about us, well that may be your view. mine would be that they'll be written regardless.

Aye, maybe Gannon should send his da, to chap Dallas' door! :lol:

"yer tea's oot gannon!" will be ringing round dalziel park.

dallas has already said that he'll speak to any manager on the phone so i don't think he'd be against a meeting which would be very easy to arrange. you always seem to make more progress with things face to face than on the phone.

i was just highlighting how easy it would be for them to have a chat. the papers at the weekend suggested gannon wrote to dallas about the spl delegates report from the accies game which is nothing to do with dallas. that suggests jim isn't up to speed with the football beaucracy in scotland and who runs what (i doubt many people are). i'm sure dallas could give him all the details regarding the match delegate system, referee supervisors, referee training and the correct way to make an official complaint or suggestion then jim could consider his next move.

I think we can dismiss the...we complain about refs so they'll do us...argument.

The decisions we've had, i.e. the amount of times we've played against ten men is nothing to do with a referee's love of Motherwell, or a soft spot. Its simply the way we play and break seems to invite other teams to foul us.

Our limited bookings is down to good discipline, not a fascination from the referee's of all things claret and amber.

Years of whinging from the old firm, jim jeffries, gus mcpherson and craig levein havent produced a referee mafia against these groups and individuals. Any decision against them has generally been due to poor refereeing.

As will be the case with us. There is no big conspiracy, the SFA wont be riding through the alleys of Motherwell with a shotgun (or dodgy painted on machine gun) hunting us out. If Jim Gannon feels so passionate about refereeing then he must address it. And who knows, maybe the bigwigs will take note....i doubt it.

As for the media, i dont think our 4 paragraphs a day in the redtops is in danger or increasing any time soon when they have the old firm to worry about.

the papers at the weekend suggested gannon wrote to dallas about the spl delegates report from the accies game which is nothing to do with dallas. that suggests jim isn't up to speed with the football beaucracy in scotland and who runs what (i doubt many people are). i'm sure dallas could give him all the details regarding the match delegate system, referee supervisors, referee training and the correct way to make an official complaint or suggestion then jim could consider his next move.

Are you sure?

I thought Dallas was appointed as some special reff liason role by the SFA. I think he also goes around all the grounds and has talks with the squads about any new rule decree's and how they will be enforced by the team of referee's he represents.

Are you sure?

I thought Dallas was appointed as some special reff liason role by the SFA. I think he also goes around all the grounds and has talks with the squads about any new rule decree's and how they will be enforced by the team of referee's he represents.

aye he's employed by the sfa and gannon apparently contacted him about an spl document. if that report is the topic of the second letter he wrote then dallas can't do much but write back that he should contact the spl.

am I the only one fearing a media/SFA backlash against Motherwell Fc ?

I now fear the worst with back to back old firm games coming up that we are gonna get no decisions going our way ..... or is that just par for the course against them ??

Which would then pretty much prove Gannons point about the standard of refereeing and the media.

Maybe he is using the old Sir Alex Ferguson "seige mentality" tactics.

TBH though I think he's just the kind of guy that expects answers etc when he has taken the time to enquire about something.

I seem to be in something of a minority. Where others clearly are lapping it up, I'm not seeing the need for all this at all. What a drama over nothing. Its not like we've got serious grievances have we?

It seems a pretty trivial matter to be picking fights with the SFA over. Oh we didn't get a reply back about a letter we sent....well boo fucking hoo. Its hardly the end of the world is it?

Did we not used to have a fairly close relationship with Hugh Dallas. I seem to remember at some time not so long ago him being invited to speak to the squad, or least give guidance to the manager of the day. I assume that avenue of communication has been closed then.

I'm delighted where we are in the table and been encouraged by the way we've tried to play football. On the park its better than I could ever have hoped when Gannon took over.

But off the field I'm growing weary already with what seems an often unnecessary antagonistic approach. Seems like its somebody different each week that has to suffer to his wrath. Senior pros, media, referees, SFA - who's next?

I seem to be in something of a minority. Where others clearly are lapping it up, I'm not seeing the need for all this at all. What a drama over nothing. Its not like we've got serious grievances have we?

Exactly. He's alienating the media, referees, other managers and if what you hear is true some of our own players. Why exactly?

As for 'congratulating' Gannon for communicating through the club instead of the press - what short sightedness.

That's fine now when things are going reasonably well but if things later go less well who do you think is going to ask the hard questions? No disrespect to the people who are employed by the club, they do a good job, but they are restricted in what they can ask and write because at the end of the day the piper calls the tune. Part of a managers job is to speak to the press - if he doesn't then he's not doing his job properly.

Some of the stuff he's been coming away with might be crowd pleasing to the unthinking but actually its nonsense and he's starting to come across as some one who needs to learn a little humility. He's also been completely hypocritical.

He started off really well with his dealings with the press but more and more it looks like doesn't have the experience or simply can't handle the increased press cover he gets here. Elsewhere he was local news and not much else. In Scotland he's national news with a dozen newspapers or more.

Frankly someone needs to tell him to shut up. His refusal to actual learn from the situation HE got himself into suggests a stubborn and arrogant personality - already suggested by needless tactical mistakes against in particular St.Mirren and Aberdeen. He needs to take a few steps back, learn some lessons and concentrate on actually winning some games.

It seems a pretty trivial matter to be picking fights with the SFA over. Oh we didn't get a reply back about a letter we sent....well boo fucking hoo. Its hardly the end of the world is it?

Did we not used to have a fairly close relationship with Hugh Dallas. I seem to remember at some time not so long ago him being invited to speak to the squad, or least give guidance to the manager of the day. I assume that avenue of communication has been closed then.

I'm delighted where we are in the table and been encouraged by the way we've tried to play football. On the park its better than I could ever have hoped when Gannon took over.

But off the field I'm growing weary already with what seems an often unnecessary antagonistic approach. Seems like its somebody different each week that has to suffer to his wrath. Senior pros, media, referees, SFA - who's next?

I agree with much of what you say Andy and I feel a bit uneasy about the current situation but I feel that these quirks in our Managers personality may be the price we have to pay for having a really good manager.

This attention to detail, everything should be perfect attitude can be antagonistic but it is maybe the characteristics that brings him success on the football field. I am not saying that we have the next Alex Ferguson but Ferguson has done ok without pandering to anyone. On the other hand we may have the next Alex Ferguson, after all the next bright hope has got to come from somewhere.

As for 'congratulating' Gannon for communicating through the club instead of the press - what short sightedness.

That's fine now when things are going reasonably well but if things later go less well who do you think is going to ask the hard questions?

Eh.... the forums (be it here or FPC)? I know you're not talking about the media. The only way they'll ask the hard questions is because of what Gannon is doing now. If he shut up they wouldn't ask any hard questions...

:lol::D

I don't understand why Gannon is being subjected to all the media hype about referees.

After the game on Saturday everybody and their dug slagged Muir for his performance ( Levein,

Gannon, The BBC, Teletext and every "journalist " in every paper I read over the weekend and on Monday) but it's Gannon who's getting the flak.

I think the Rancid's nose is out of joint because he has pointed out that their leading "journalists"

i.e. Keevins & Traynor are arseholes who know nothing about football and seem to think the world revolves around their mindless rants in the paper.

From what I've seen and heard since he arrived I don't think Gannon is the type to make up a scenario with Dallas for no reason. I'll be interested to see the response from Dallas and Smith about his latest statement.

I'm with Gannon on this one. It's about time somebody spoke up about the standard of refereeing in the SPL.

Mon the Dossers