Gannon And The Press

steelboy

apparently jim gannon refused to speak to the press today because they linked certain players names to his comments about players leaving the club in january. what did he think was going to happen? i'll paraphrase, but these were some if his comments

he's hoping players leave in january

some players aren't earning their wages

he hopes to keep the players we have with quality

to be honest when i heard the comments my reaction where that i wasn't suprised but it seemed like a poor show that he would make comments like that in public without naming names. he was asked who he meant and he said "have a look at the team sheet". my impression was that he was sending a direct message to certain players and although i found it distasteful i've learned to live with gannon's style because i like the results.

the fact that he's spat the dummy today suggests to me that his comments didn't go down well with the squad and now he's trying to backtrack. the squad seem pretty tightknit, i doubt any of the players whether they're in favour or not would have liked the comments.

at best the comments were extremely naive and at worst malicious. people will say that there's no room for sentimentality but i've heard about gannon freezing people out and being blunt at stockport and for me that's not what's motherwell's about. we've gained a lot from having jim as our manager but i hope he learns from us that there are right ways and wrongs ways to go about things.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. It's his team, he decides who goes and who stays and I am absolutely fine with whatever decisions he makes.

so am i, i just think he's made a mistake this week. from my experience of being in teams no one likes any one being singled out, i honestly believe that he's backtracking because his comments haven't went down well with with the squad. he can't deny what he said because it's on video on the bbc website and to act offended because the press linked names to his comments is pathetic. he was refering to specific players even if he didn't want to name names, clearly that would be the main topic of conversation on friday morning in the dressing room.

gannon's done a great job so far but i don't want that kind of atmosphere at fir park. for the last few years there's been a great bond between the club, the players and the fans. since we went into to admin there's been an amazing spirit around motherwell.

he's clearly attempted to isolate certain players but the squad have stuck together and now he's backtracking. gannon can do what he wants on the playing side but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

If he is attempting to freeze players out, he'd come right out and say it.

Remember what he said about Craigan after the Llanelli game? I don't think Gannon gives a fuck who he offends in the squad, he wants the best he can get and if he feels he's not getting it, he's well within his rights to expect better.

I don't think he's being 'petty' or 'malicious' or any other words you've used, nor do I believe he is backtracking.

i just think he's made a mistake this week...

i honestly believe that he's backtracking because his comments haven't went down well with with the squad...

gannon can do what he wants on the playing side but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

I was surprised with Jim's comments during the BBC interview earlier in the week. I genuinely think he may regret saying them and in hindsight would probably have not. You can't tease the press and not expect them to speculate on the names. Jim is a great manager and has the potential to be our best since Tommy McLean. I think he has learned a valuble lesson this week and when he begins to speak to the media again we may see a more guarded Jim Gannon.

the comments were clearly aimed at lasley, mcgarry, fitzy, dazza and maybe crags. we might think fuck them we can live without but i doubt their teammates and friends will see it that way.

he didn't have to make the comments in the first place and he's an intelligent man so i'm sure his words were considered and he knew how how the press and the players would percieve them. what i'm taking from his backtracking is that it created a bad atmosphere in the dressing room and now he's trying to disassociate himself from singling people out.

Stockport fans did say that he would eventually put a foot wrong with the press. And if felt wronged by them, would not be slow to make it known.

For what it's worth I think the apparent singling out of Craigan is deliberate to an extent. In doing that, it would be criticising a player who has a great deal of affection for the club and would therefore be reluctant to speak out disrespecting the club. But by doing so, it also sends a message to the other players. On the other hand, it's been made very easy for him to do so, given the number of clean sheets with Craigan in the team and without Craigan in the team.

I stated when Gannon arrived that I had heard that players would love and hate him in equal measure. If you're one of his favourites (I would say Coke) then you'll feel protected and have nothing bad to say about him, if not (Craigan, allegedly) you'll feel shunned and as welcome as Barack Obama at a BNP meeting.

What I would say is that it's up to the players how they react. A real strong character would be determined to prove him wrong any chance they got, kind of "I'll show you". If they're going to go in the huff, are they the type of people you want in your squad.

Gannon should simply be clever about it and say to the players that the press are simply trying to undermine what they're trying to achieve by creating divisions. By not naming names, he keeps people on their toes, and doesn't alienate (for example) Lasley by saying "Lasley's for sale" in case with Coke and Forbes injured and Hately suspended he has to rely upon Lasley in December. The players like Lasley, Craigan and Jennings aren't naive enough to think they're in his thoughts for a starting place at the moment. But hearing Gannon's comments, I suspect most of them looked around the dressing room and thought that he was talking about McGarry, Fraser and Fitzpatrick. The first three I mentioned have at least seen some competitive game time this season...

I was surprised with Jim's comments during the BBC interview earlier in the week. I genuinely think he may regret saying them and in hindsight would probably have not. You can't tease the press and not expect them to speculate on the names. Jim is a great manager and has the potential to be our best since Tommy McLean. I think he has learned a valuble lesson this week and when he begins to speak to the media again we may see a more guarded Jim Gannon.

that's just about spot on for me .. whether the press should or shouldn't speculate like this is another matter.

i'm 100% behind Jim - I really believe we'd struggle to find a manager better suited to our club than him.

but i do think this one got away from him a bit - it was either conceived badly - or he was caught off guard.

no-one's perfect :lol:

as I said in another thread - it's worth remembering that the stockport fans on this forum told us to expect some unusual press interaction - and to be honest I'm just glad we're discussing this rather than relegation threats!

Gannon should simply be clever about it and say to the players that the press are simply trying to undermine what they're trying to achieve by creating divisions. By not naming names, he keeps people on their toes, and doesn't alienate (for example) Lasley by saying "Lasley's for sale" in case with Coke and Forbes injured and Hately suspended he has to rely upon Lasley in December. The players like Lasley, Craigan and Jennings aren't naive enough to think they're in his thoughts for a starting place at the moment. But hearing Gannon's comments, I suspect most of them looked around the dressing room and thought that he was talking about McGarry, Fraser and Fitzpatrick. The first three I mentioned have at least seen some competitive game time this season...

he can't say anything to the players he's on video on the bbc sport website making the comments.

I felt during the week his comments were ill advised. If some players have took the hump i dont blame them. Gannon taking the hump with the press is bizarre.

We know the ones we dont want at the club, but to make it fairly obvious when collecting a manager of the month award for October....probably no need

Bit quick to jump to conclusions are we not? Already said I don't give a fuck about weejie meedja hacks getting their noses put out of joint but prefer it if we find out the story before sticking the boot into our own manager.

And in fairness Gannon was probably a little quick to put the boot into Craigan after the Llanelli game.

Gannon supporter, but his comments suprised me during the week

I thought his comments were quite good. Put it this way, Manager and Young Player of the month. The wee yins might have thought, ya beauty we are bullet proof.

The bench warmers will obviously try to raise there game. The young yins know to keep their place they need to stay consistant and not let the hype get to the heeds.

Gannon taking the cream puff wae the press isney right, but his initial comments were fine.

I thought his comments were quite good. Put it this way, Manager and Young Player of the month. The wee yins might have thought, ya beauty we are bullet proof.

The bench warmers will obviously try to raise there game. The young yins know to keep their place they need to stay consistant and not let the hype get to the heeds.

Gannon taking the cream puff wae the press isney right, but his initial comments were fine.

Finally!!!!!! Someone has got the point of the fecking interview!

he can't say anything to the players he's on video on the bbc sport website making the comments.

He's on there saying "some will have to go, look at the team sheet", nothing more. With the exception of McGarry, anyone going into his office to complain could be given reasonable answers. Fraser -has been injured and Ruddy has been the man in possession of the jersey. Craigan - how could I be talking about you big man, you've played a good few games. Lasley and Jennings - can't be talking about you boys, you're on the bench every week, keeping the three midfielders on their toes. Fitzpatrick and DLS - you've been injured at the start of the season, bad timing, keep the head down and work. Now we might know that some of that will be bullshit, but which bits? Other than McGarry, who has been "frozen out"? On here, and in the press, it's all speculation...

With one league defeat after Bonfire Night, no one in the squad can complain about team selections anyway...

the comments were clearly aimed at lasley, mcgarry, fitzy, dazza and maybe crags. we might think fuck them we can live without but i doubt their teammates and friends will see it that way.

I don't think they were aimed at Crags at all and I think that is why JG has taken umbrage at the Beeb (which used to report facts back in the day, not speculate as to what the facts MIGHT be). Gannon said "look at the teamsheet". Crags has been playing pretty regularly so I don't think it is levelled at him - more like players like McGarry, possibly Jennings. Now due to the Beeb speculating (ie stirring a pot with a rather large stick) Gannon's relationship with guys like Lasley and Crags is being questioned. I expected better of the Beeb - this rubbish is usually the mark of The Sun or Record.

I don't think they were aimed at Crags at all and I think that is why JG has taken umbrage at the Beeb (which used to report facts back in the day, not speculate as to what the facts MIGHT be). Gannon said "look at the teamsheet". Crags has been playing pretty regularly so I don't think it is levelled at him - more like players like McGarry, possibly Jennings. Now due to the Beeb speculating (ie stirring a pot with a rather large stick) Gannon's relationship with guys like Lasley and Crags is being questioned. I expected better of the Beeb - this rubbish is usually the mark of The Sun or Record.

What I was trying to say, but much more concise. Thank you...

Haggis, if they only reported the facts (which is Gannon's quotes) then the article would've been 2 paragraphs long. They need to thicken it out and they've done that with, well, facts. "Craigan has started X amount of games", "Lasley has only played x amount of minutes" etc etc, whether we like them or not, are factual pieces of information.

They are technically factual but the way the media protrade it they made it look like Gannon was specifically talking about them when if you took Gannon's quote as gold and pure you will know for a fact Craigan and Lasley are safe if they want to remain at the club because as has already been mentioned before both appear on the team sheet practically every week.