Gannon And The Press

steelboy

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought diggle have u ever thought of starting a merge thread police you can be the sheriff we can start a thread so you can get deputys to apply.

Honestly i can't wait to see the day that i can go into a thread without you moaning about whether or not it should be part of another thread.

Who cares?

he was much more scathing about the sfa/referees in the sky sports news interview. i still don't understand what he's trying to achieve with his comments. neither the sfa or the referees will ever consider or accept singling out individual refs as weak links as anyone with any knowledge of scottish football could tell you. i'd also be interested to hear what kind of improvements in refs' performances he believes his suggestions could lead to.

i was interested hearing him say that if he felt the refs/sfa attitude to him was harming the club he "would have to consider his position". the thought had occurred to me that he might be engineering all of this as a machiavellean exit strategy so he can leave at the end of the season without losing face claiming that the sfa and the media left him with no choice. i hadn't posted that before since there was no real evidence to back it up but the man said it there himself.

i'm still a bit annoyed about how little we've heard about the hibs match. hearing that some players are inconsistent isn't much of an answer. it was apparent early on saturday that passing the ball out from the back wasn't going to have much success yet it was the only strategy we tried. we've got three months of winter ahead of us and if we aren't able to put out a team who are prepared to fight and play ugly for points it'll be an unpleasant few months.

i'd also be interested to hear what kind of improvements in refs' performances he believes his suggestions could lead to.

If you think about any other walk of life, if you're bad at your job you don't make it to the top. Why should referees be allowed to carry on regardless of how badly they perform. Some sort of league table for refs where the top performers get the top games and the poorer performers get moved down the leagues could only be a good thing in my opinion.

They don't need to single people out or slate referees but at the moment the shutters come down and there's not even any acknowledgement of mistakes being made. The more feedback can be made, the more referees can learn from their mistakes and strive to improve themselves.

i was interested hearing him say that if he felt the refs/sfa attitude to him was harming the club he "would have to consider his position". the thought had occurred to me that he might be engineering all of this as a machiavellean exit strategy so he can leave at the end of the season without losing face claiming that the sfa and the media left him with no choice. i hadn't posted that before since there was no real evidence to back it up but the man said it there himself.

It's a poor choice of words but I don't think it's anything more than that. Gannon's spoken many a time about his plans for the future and I don't see him leaving because of a spat with the sfa. You're beginning to sound a bit like a Celtic fan. :lol:

It's a poor choice of words but I don't think it's anything more than that. Gannon's spoken many a time about his plans for the future and I don't see him leaving because of a spat with the sfa. You're beginning to sound a bit like a Celtic fan. :lol:

He just doesn't like the man and never will. Simples! What Gannon meant is if his comments start having an affect on Motherwell resilts then he will have to consider his position. Why not?

He just doesn't like the man and never will. Simples! What Gannon meant is if his comments start having an affect on Motherwell resilts then he will have to consider his position. Why not?

Yeah, I get what he's saying it's just, call me naive if you like, but I don't think the referees are dishonest, they're just shite. I don't see them going out to deliberately cost us games, if anything I'd think it would work the other way and refs would be scared to upset us in case they get another tongue lashing from JG.

Yeah, I get what he's saying it's just, call me naive if you like, but I don't think the referees are dishonest, they're just shite. I don't see them going out to deliberately cost us games, if anything I'd think it would work the other way and refs would be scared to upset us in case they get another tongue lashing from JG.

See I think that's exactly what he is trying to do. It's a classic Benitez, Mourinho, Fergie and Wenger tactic. Whether it is moral or not is another story. However, why shouldn't we be standing up to refs. They are pish and have been pish for a long time. Now I can understand the 50/50 split second decision mistakes but the blatant ones get on my wick.

If you think about any other walk of life, if you're bad at your job you don't make it to the top. Why should referees be allowed to carry on regardless of how badly they perform. Some sort of league table for refs where the top performers get the top games and the poorer performers get moved down the leagues could only be a good thing in my opinion.

there are only a small pool of refs who get spl matches already, according to that spl refs site there have only been 17 refs who have handled spl matched this season. the sfa are never going to publicly rank or critisice refs, their attitude is right in line with that of fifa and uefa and it's something we should accept and deal with.

the idea of a reporting system seems a bit daft as well. the refs are there to apply the laws of the game not to attempt to appease individual managers interpretations of them. if there was a reporting system in place on saturday gannon would obviously have had a lot of complaints and john hughes would have said the guy had a great game. what value would have that had in improving reffing standards?

i actuall think the refereeing has been good this season and in the three game where refs took the most stick (killie-h**s, hibs-dons, us-utd) the majority of the decisions were right. i don't think the refs have been any worse than in previous years and i don't think the standard is any worse than what i've seen on tv down south. considering that refs have handed us a massive advantage this season (5 pens for none against, no reds for us but 7 opponents sent off) i don't understand why he feels the need to come out against them so publicly. his comments have zero chance of improving the refs we'll meet this season and could well set them against us in close decisions (eg. hammell and murphy on saturday).

because there's no football without a referee.

Did I say ethinically cleanse them? I said stand up to them and make them more accountable. They make mistakes that can cause people league titles, european slots and could see teams relegated. That can put teams out of business. They can't go on making howlers and then reffing another gem the following week.

Did I say ethinically cleanse them? I said stand up to them and make them more accountable. They make mistakes that can cause people league titles, european slots and could see teams relegated. That can put teams out of business. They can't go on making howlers and then reffing another gem the following week.

we've got the refs we've got and we have to deal with it. they don't have to change because as long the sfa back them (as they always will the same as fifa and uefa do) nothing can touch them. we're the ones with something to lose so we're the ones who should adapt.

I've enjoyed reading the posts. I've found peoples opinion of how Jim Gannon has handled these last two games interesting. I have to admit Gannon's stance has annoyed me.

The only one's who suffer are the fan's and supporters. The Press don't give a fuck. They'll just print more column inches about Hibs.

Gannon puzzles me. Although I'm delighted with our position in the league, I wish the football was more incisive. I like Gannon's faith in youth but think the team needs greater experience.

I also understand Gannon's shock at the standard of refereeing but question the wisdom of his attack when it is rightly pointed out we've really had a good time with refs lately.

Lastly, just as the club finally makes great strides in public and supporters relations, Gannon's not talking.

January will hopefully bring goodwill and some creativity.

The only one's who suffer are the fan's and supporters. The Press don't give a fuck. They'll just print more column inches about Hibs.

:lol: How? In what way? Plenty have stated similiar in this thread without explanation, seems to me that it's only affecting the sycophants on here that have a self importance that knows no bounds...

Remembering it's the Jim Gannon show! I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall at his Thursday press conference. Believe Mr keevins was given his place. Todays' edition of the Daily Rebel should be good (using that term very, very loosely).

Believe Mr keevins was given his place.

Potted like a black ball supposedly, and not before time.

I remember Gannon saying a couple of weeks into the job that he works in the 'entertainment industry'. In that respect he's doing a good job, albeit off the park.

Personally, I'd just like Gannon to explain exactly what he means by a "reporting structure" when it comes to refs. Presumably they have this in place in England, or if not, he should be explaining how it would work. He should also be stressing the point that he is trying to suggest ways/ideas to the SFA/SPL (whoever runs the refs and decides who should officiate in the SPL!) which will enable the refs to improve across the board, not just in the SPL.

In saying that, I admire him for speaking out against Hugh Dallas who seems to be completely incompetent in his role as refs development officer and the refs who have been producing ridiculous performances in a number of games this season.

the idea of a reporting system seems a bit daft as well. the refs are there to apply the laws of the game not to attempt to appease individual managers interpretations of them. if there was a reporting system in place on saturday gannon would obviously have had a lot of complaints and john hughes would have said the guy had a great game. what value would have that had in improving reffing standards?

A reporting system isn't a black and white thing. It's an avenue for managers to highlight issues raised by the referee's performance. It doesn't mean that they're wrong in what they say or that their complaint should be taken as gospel. It's simply a way to give proper feedback which can then be evaluated and decided whether said manager has a case and how the referee in question performed overall.

I'm sure John Hughes would have had a lot of complaints on Saturday as well as Iain Brines was pish for both teams. It wasn't just big decisions either, he kept getting everything wrong, an advantage here, a 50-50 there, the same as the ref for the Utd game, hence why Gannon slated him after that.

I don't agree that we should just accept the SFA's approach on this and get on with it. If something's wrong, do something about it, don't just stick your head in the sand. Even by not speaking about the issues Gannon's putting pressure on the SFA. He's saying just enough to highlight that he's not happy with the ref without getting into specifics and getting himself or the club in trouble. The more people that stand up to the mistakes by referees, the more likely it is that something will be done about them.

EDIT: The Daily Record link: Clicky

EDIT: A less sensationalist link to the Scotsman

Keevins headline this morning was that Gannon believes a referee may have already cost Celtic the league.

Would be interested to know what went on at the Press Conference.

For the time being though, I hope all this pish is put to one side and we are fully focused on getting our first victory for a good wee while...