How Did They Ever Wear The Jersey?

Ian-in-Oz

We had some right dross in those days but Davie is probably remembered because he had quite a long run in the team . Although he was guff we probably didn't have anyone better!

Did he come from Clydebank and then return to the lower divisions?

There was a Mark Shanks wasn't there, I seem to remember a scrawl in my school boy autograph book

Mark Shanks was a decent right-back.

If you were to make a modern day comparison I'd say Davie Shanks was the Jake Taylor of his day, perhaps even a little Craig Clay-esque. Not great in the tackle, no great determination, nothing much going forward. Nothing much at all really.

He was a Tommy McLean signing around the back end of 87'88 if I remember rightly. Something in the back of my mind has it that he was unveiled as part of a double signing with Paul Kinnaird though I could be mistaken. I think he saw out his contact, most of the last season of it in the reserves and on the bench and left at the end of it.

Last I heard Davie Shanks was a high standing board member (Chairman even?) at Albion Rovers, but even that was years ago granted.

I was 13, 14 when he signed - was, at the time, and all through my life, actually, completely utterly shit at football, but even then I could still spot he was a complete fuckin' donkey...

I'm still waiting on John Hendry to come good though...

Telling ye' all he needs one goal and he'll be rattling them in...

If only klinsmann hadn't kept him out of that Spurs team......

Esteban Casagolda- with a name like that I can't believe he wasn't a giant on the International stage-

Mind you, Roberto Martinez flamenco dancing substitute warm-ups flattered to deceive too

Some record in a lower Belgian league for the last couple of years. 41 goals in 59 games or something.

• 2 months later...

This wins me over completely, sums up Woods' time with us perfectly. He was always our number 2 keeper.. even when he was no1 we were always looking to replace him... And to be honest I can see the exact same thing happening with Fraser.

Also remembered a classic Woods blunder, probably early in his career... caught a pass back 2yards off the goal line.. possibly from Chris 'theivy' McCart, they scored from the resulting free kick to win 2-1. Can anyone confirm or correct?

Stevie Woods for me by a country mile. Still remember us desperately needing points playing Aberdeen at Motherwell... point was a huge one for us. Drawing the game in dying minutes SW takes a kick out belts it off Billy Dodds arse and ball ends up in the net and the ultimate in the Scottish Cup against Rangers.... trying to take on Gordon Durie instead of leathering it into row .

Closely followed by Eliphas Shivute and Bob Malcolm and a player no one ever remembers Peter Leonard 8 ft tall and couldnt jump 10 inches. Played a couple of games as sub in Ally McLeod era .... utterly honking.

Stevie Woods for me by a country mile. Still remember us desperately needing points playing Aberdeen at Motherwell... point was a huge one for us. Drawing the game in dying minutes SW takes a kick out belts it off Billy Dodds arse and ball ends up in the net and the ultimate in the Scottish Cup against Rangers.... trying to take on Gordon Durie instead of leathering it into row .

Closely followed by Eliphas Shivute and Bob Malcolm and a player no one ever remembers Peter Leonard 8 ft tall and couldnt jump 10 inches. Played a couple of games as sub in Ally McLeod era .... utterly honking.

Cant agree with you singling out Eli.

Frustrating sometimes but very often was unplayable because of his unpredictability. He was also a great `out` for the defence whenever we were under the cosh.

Borderline cult figure.

As for Woods in that Scottish Cup tie I have to say that I have seldom ever felt so shit [ in footie terms] after that mistake . That tie was ours as witnessed by the many Rangers fans streaming out of FP.

I was at a party a few years ago that John Reilly was at, he tried to tell me that basically the whole time he played for Motherwell he had a broken leg! Some excuse....

I also remember a guy who was really honking who came on as a sub (debut) in the same game that Mario Dorner debuted. Can anyone think of his name??

Brian Kerr's problem was entirely down to attitude. Unless his injury affected his brain in some way that increased his ego, made him a complete non-tryer on the pitch and saying that his ex-teams were mince every time he moved on.

If he'd applied himself he could have been a class act.