Craig Brown Statement

Guest 'Flow

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Brown was offered the Hibs and Aberdeen jobs (and he feels he needs to move on) then surely that decision is a no brainer. Is there a worse job in British club football than the Aberdeen one. Utterly thankless job with fans who have ridiculous expectations. Why would you want that job? Why would you want that challenge at 70?

Not much to say on this except three points, most of which have been said elsewhere...

Firstly, anyone who wishes to portray Craig Brown as some kindly old gentleman is having a laugh. I mean this is as no disrespect to Craig Brown but you don't survive as long in a business as cutthroat as football without being, frankly, a bit ruthless. Anyone with an eye on the world of football over the last 20 years will tell you this.

Secondly, it does strike me that maybe we jumped the gun a bit in releasing a statement. If there were only early overtures from Aberdeen, maybe we should have waitied to ensure they didn't want a second dance. I know the club would then have been slated for its silence on the matter. Perhaps a simple "We're doing everything we can to get Brown and Knox to stay" could have been issued?

Thirdly, if he leaves, he leaves. We have a decent squad in place, no mad owner wanting to run the team, no major debt that will require selling off the full first team squad. If the last three or four years has shown anything, it's that the Motherwell job is an attractive one, you never know who might show an interest...

Can't see Collins being interested IF we do need a new manager. Didn't he lose interest at Hibs as he felt they weren't matching his ambition and were too keen to sell players. Not sure he would fancy working with our promising squad only to lose them anytime a good bid comes in.

I'm sorry but I just don't see it, I don't think we'd have released a statement were we not 100% certain what was going to happen, the fact that the only paper that has this is one from the deluded North East makes me think it's a load of crap.

These quotes could come back to haunt Craig Brown.

"If you had any doubts they are removed when your captain says something like that. "The players believe we can achieve more and so do Archie and I.

"But we can only achieve success by sticking together and working even harder than we have been. The players have been magnificent since we came here and it's a small squad, so we know week in, week out we're asking a lot from them.

"But they are happy we are staying and that makes us all the more determined to help them achieve success at Motherwell.

"They are a superb bunch of boys and one of the main reasons we decided to stay at Fir Park."

I'm sorry but I just don't see it, I don't think we'd have released a statement were we not 100% certain what was going to happen,

Yeah, just like the shirt sponsor thing . . . . .etc

the fact that the only paper that has this is one from the deluded North East makes me think it's a load of crap.

Yeah, just like the Mcghee story - it didn't happen either did it?

Folk need to get real and get real quick.

I'm sure Boyle as always will get himself into action quickly if this arises - but it looks like it's coming round again.

In fact it might be time to start looking - because if we thought the two kind old men were gonna trundle along until there were handshakes and teary mutiual goodbyes we might be mistaken.

This place will be funny as fuck if they do go!

Oh well such is life.....

It is no different to any person being offered another job. They are flattered and if they are uncertain about moving would at least try to negotiate better terms at their current job or signs that they are valued.

The signs that Craig Brown and Archie Knox are looking for are for some extra money to boost squad numbers and strengthen the team. If we as a club cannot afford that or john boyle is not prepared to help futher, then they may take that as a sign and look to move after all. One thing is for sure - we cannot give in to this emotional blackmail - if that is what it is. We need a sound financial footing as we do not want to be the 2nd club to go into administration twice!

Either way if he/they were to leave they would lose a HUGE amount of respect after the comments quoted.

I hope not as they are a wise combination and have been VERY GOOD for this club.

brown is just a auld haverer, he says what ever is in his head or what he thinks people want to hear eg the "we've no money/we need to get through this round to make a signing/nae money/alan gow" patter in the summer.

i don't think he's going anywhere he just likes a wee bit of attention.

But he is six players down on the squad he inherited from Jim Gannon.

And he insists it's vital he's given money to spend in January or Well could miss out on a top-six finish. Brown warned: "I feel we have the potential now to take this club forward, but we need the support of the board. We have lost six players from the squad we inherited.

There ye are. Haha.

Can't imagine what the attraction is up there. It USED to be a bigger club, now for years the only thing bigger is the potential crowds they can pull thanks to being in a city of some 214000 people and having no real near neighbour to compete with for crowds. That club is rotten to the core and needs to be cleaned inside out firstly, and that comes from Aberdeen fans. Brown doesn't need the money I'd have thought, or to prove anything. Disaster waiting to happen for him if he goes, we'll survive regardless.

Despite the uncertainty (not to mention raging paranoia) on here I'd be very surprised if he went anywhere. Even on a personal basis, why would someone at his time of life want to up sticks all the way to Aberdeen? Like I said before, the expectation at that club way outstrips anything they're even remotely capable of. If he has any ambition left at his time of life then surely it would amount to no more than another wee European adventure. Smaller club or not, he has a much greater chance of that at Fir Park.

I personally think he's just trying to force a reaction out of JB but we can only wait and see.

Hold I say hold that result boy. ;)

CRAIG BROWN has revealed his special bond with his Motherwell players saw him reject Aberdeen.

But SunSport can reveal the Dons were last night still trying to lure the ex-Scotland boss to Pittodrie.

Yet it's unlikely the 70-year-old will have a change of heart after committing his future to Well.

Brown said: "We had a gut feeling staying at Motherwell was the right thing to do. The other hugely influential thing was the attitude of the players. The response we've had since taking over has been exceptional.

"These players are so diligent and conscientious.

"The staff are also outstanding, we have the best backroom staff in the league.

"Motherwell is the club where it all began for me really, so the place is very close to my heart.

"It would very difficult to match that and very difficult to leave."

Brown and Knox met a Dons delegation that included chairman Stewart Milne and director of football Willie Miller on Tuesday.

They headed back north disappointed after failing to sell the pair on a move to Pittodrie.

Yet Brown added: "Aberdeen have asked us to reconsider, but we have made a commitment to Motherwell.

"I wouldn't like to be the next guy to come along and think he was second choice.

"They indicated if we wanted the job we'd be considered."

Brown and Knox have been working without contracts.

But in light of their talks with Aberdeen, it's understood Well chairman John Boyle is now keen to tie the duo down.

Brown said: "It might be that they are looking to put us on a contract now.

"We didn't believe other teams would come for us. But Aberdeen are not the first to come for us."

Meanwhile Miller has told the Dons players to CANCEL their Christmas night out in Newcastle.

They were due to head south after the game against Hearts on Saturday.

But one player said: "Willie told us because of the club's position we had to be seen to be being totally professional in our approach towards turning things around.

"We had to agree that this was the right decision."