Amazing Story From The Past...if True!

Well Up For It!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot about Coyle, and thought Simo was a Kampman signing. I suppose you have a case for Garcin as well just for that freekirk and nothing else!

Oh...Matthei! He was no bad, and Doesburg did do a job too!

Me finks I'm starting to contradict my initial post about him signing pish! ;)

Still...Andy Roddie outweighs any decent signing he made! And he did sign about 20 players when he was at The 'Ark - and so far we have named three good ones and three no bad ones!!

Let's not forget he was the man who signed Emersboggie and Nuno Capucho for the Gers! They were both quality signings for us...and every other team in the SPL!! :rolleyes:

As above poster says, Doesburg, Matthei, along with Michels, Miller, Jamie someone (centre half), McLair formed Kampmanns first few signings.

Valakari signed in 1996, whilst McLeish was manager.

Incidentally, Valakari is currently playing for Finnish side TPS Tuku alongside one of the Paataleinan brothers, Mikku.

Signing players is a bit of a lottery. It doesn't matter if you are Big Eck or Sir Alex. There are all sorts of reasons what seems like a good player fails to perform in your team. And, even worse, goes on to shine when you sell him on.

Because the bigger teams have more cash, people tend to forget their clangers. Look how many dodgy goalies Man U played before they finally managed to get a replacement for Schmeichel (not to mention Veron). My favourite example is Titus Bramble. When I used to watch him with Ipswich he looked a pretty useful defender. As soon as he left Portman Road, he turned into a donkey.

As above poster says, Doesburg, Matthei, along with Michels, Miller, Jamie someone (centre half), McLair formed Kampmanns first few signings.

Valakari signed in 1996, whilst McLeish was manager.

Well that just emphasises my point about Big Eck being rank rotten at talent spotting!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for making me feel reassured in myself.

So we have settled on Van der Gaag, Simo and Coyle as his three good signings.

Rest = balls!!

Roddie = Utter Balls!!

I seem to remember hearing that about Neil Lennon...

Don't know if that was a good move or bad move cause he prob would have been a good player for us, but afterall he is Neil Lennon....

Tough one!

As far as I am aware it was Bobby Jenks who spotted Neil Lennon, when he had the youths over in Belfast for a tournament. He was signed but I think it was only on 'S' Form. If memory serves I believe he left because he was homesick.

Well that just emphasises my point about Big Eck being rank rotten at talent spotting!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for making me feel reassured in myself.

So we have settled on Van der Gaag, Simo and Coyle as his three good signings.

Rest = balls!!

Roddie = Utter Balls!!

Wait a wee minute, what about John Hendry.

Spurs paid Dundee 50K for John Hendry and in a 5 year career he played 1 (ONE) match for them. Spurs had been loaning him out with a hope of him striking a deal with another club, it didn't happen. They couldn't get rid of him, along comes Alex McLeish and offers them four times what they paid for him, yes he paid 200K for him. There is nothing in Hendry's career that warrants that amount of money. I couldn't uinderstand it at the time and I understand it even less now. Although I can understand now why Big Eck kept coming to his defence when the fans were booing him.

Wait a wee minute, what about John Hendry.

Spurs paid Dundee 50K for John Hendry and in a 5 year career he played 1 (ONE) match for them. Spurs had been loaning him out with a hope of him striking a deal with another club, it didn't happen. They couldn't get rid of him, along comes Alex McLeish and offers them four times what they paid for him, yes he paid 200K for him. There is nothing in Hendry's career that warrants that amount of money. I couldn't uinderstand it at the time and I understand it even less now. Although I can understand now why Big Eck kept coming to his defence when the fans were booing him.

The next Jurgen Klinsmann apparantly.

I also remember a mad rumour going about in the summer of '98...

Davies was in charge, and he was looking to sign Swiss legend Kubilay Türkyilmaz (mind him!) from Grasshopper after he had fallen out of favour there. Think that one was utter balls though! Think it might even appeared in one of the tabloids here!

i remember that 1,swiss int`l, wasnt it Alain Sutter tho? (think that his name) the dodgy lookin striker wi long blonde hair

It could have been to be honest mate - very vague. Tried to find something online about it from Daily Racid or Sun as I'm sure it was in one of them. Alain Sutter did have long blonde hair, so your thinking about the right guy.

He was at FC Dallas at the time of Billy Davies tenure and would have been about 30, so there is every chance it could have been him. Turkylimaz was at Grasshopper at the time and later moved to a lower league team - so could have been any of them.

I heard that before davie cooper signed for rangers we sent a scout to clydebank to watch him and he came back saying he was pish and didnt have a left foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonder what that scouts doing now eh?

Pretty sure Ian St John tried to sign him up before Clydebank but Motherwell wouldn't pay a (pitiful) signing on fee.

I heard that before davie cooper signed for rangers we sent a scout to clydebank to watch him and he came back saying he was pish and didnt have a left foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wonder what that scouts doing now eh?

Would have been Bobby Jenks!!

Say what you want though, the man is a legend. Yeah no doubt a few have passed through his net over the years, but he has uncovered a fair few gems. Having met him, he is a top quality bloke and if you ever get the chance ask him about the time he discovered Cristiano Ronaldo!!! Priceless :wacko:

Pretty sure Ian St John tried to sign him up before Clydebank but Motherwell wouldn't pay a (pitiful) signing on fee.

Aye but he was a Rangers lad through and through - so if he had joined us then instead of the gers he would have moved to them eventually - and maybe we wouldn't have won the Cup in '91??

It could have been to be honest mate - very vague. Tried to find something online about it from Daily Racid or Sun as I'm sure it was in one of them. Alain Sutter did have long blonde hair, so your thinking about the right guy.

He was at FC Dallas at the time of Billy Davies tenure and would have been about 30, so there is every chance it could have been him. Turkylimaz was at Grasshopper at the time and later moved to a lower league team - so could have been any of them.

It was Alain Sutter unless Turkyilmaz was linked separately.

Aye but he was a Rangers lad through and through - so if he had joined us then instead of the gers he would have moved to them eventually - and maybe we wouldn't have won the Cup in '91??

Was in an interview with Ian St. John somewhere I pretty sure, he had Cooper and Jim Bett in his office, they wanted approx £500 each to sign and St. John told them to take a hike as it was to much.