Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

One things for sure. If that is how I feel as the clock ticks down and we try to secure a top six finish there is nae way my nerves could handle winning 2-1 with ten minutes to go in a Scottish Cup Final. I must have been pure ice box as a boy :lol:

Fantastic week for us. Hearts on Saturday to SECURE top six.

Oh man, the scoreboard was at 87 FOREVER.

Anyone know when we last won 4 home matches in a row? Didn't manage it last season under the good run under Brown or under McGhee so I imagine it's been a wee while since the last time.

I thought our performance in the Cup against Dundee United was the best I've seen in years from a Motherwell team. Between that and the Celtic game, anyway.

It has just got better and better. Aberdeen and then again against Dundee United tonight. Let's just hope for more of the same in the CUP SEMI!

Jeez that last ten minutes seemed to last forever! I aged about twenty years after United scored! Talk about hanging on, that was the epitomy of that! Full credit to the players though, three big wins that have taken us to the brink of the Top Six and into another Hampden semi, superb stuff. Already without four players, many of tonight's team were like walking wounded, which makes our backs to the wall heroics even more remarkable.

Another two great goals, and a tremendous team effort. Top Six is all but guaranteed now, like others I'd rest a few on Saturday to ensure maximum fitbness and freshness for the semi.

Well done lads, proud of you all.

• Like 1

Great win tonight. after Saturday we can have a wee rest but St. Johnstone have a game next midweek against Celtic. Top 6 nearly confirmed. Was not at the game but got the last 20 mins on the radio after i finished work. Some save by Darren from what the radio said.

St. Johnstone have nothing left to play for in the league so they will field a team of reserves for that game. Don't see it having any effect on their abilities for the semi but man will it spark conspiricy theories from Rangers :laugh:

To be fair, it would probably make any man behave in an unsavoury fashion if they had to hear the chant of 'rapist' anytime they went to work, particulary if you have not been convicted of anything.

Just saying like.

Thats fair enough but he didnt react to adults or anyone it was genuinly a group of four little boys aged about 11 years old.

Thats fair enough but he didnt react to adults or anyone it was genuinly a group of four little boys aged about 11 years old.

what exactly happened? I seen him flash his arse at the fans shortly after

nothing in it till 70th minute and then they battered us and they really deserved at least a draw in the end but who cares. For us to beat Utd four times in one season is an acheivment itself. Goodwillie may be a rapist but he's a great player and big Hutch did well to limit him to 2 or 3 chances. Delighted for murphy and Hump they are going to destroy perth saints on that big Hampden pitch

IMO play the under 19's vs Jambo's - if ICT win those 3 games fair play they deserve to be in the top 6

He came to the East Stand touchline pretending he was injured. One of the young lads said something and he turned and called him a little prick a couple of times! A few adults reacted and Goodwillie didn't say a word to them but turned and called the young and again I stress 11 at the most a fucking little prick ran away and bared his arse!!!

Complete wankstain of a man.

St. Johnstone have nothing left to play for in the league so they will field a team of reserves for that game. Don't see it having any effect on their abilities for the semi but man will it spark conspiricy theories from Rangers :laugh:

Funnily enough I kinda feel that doing that isn't a good idea. You don't want players resting up and not being 'on' for a match.

Sure switch things around a bit and bring people off the bench but making a wholesale change one week and then the next I tend to think actually backfires a bit because the team get a little rusty even with only one game out.

I don't know how many times teams in World Cups and European Championships have looked like potential winners, romped the first two matches, rested a whole team for the 'meaningless' third match, brought in the first team again for the next match and then gone out.

Funnily enough I kinda feel that doing that isn't a good idea. You don't want players resting up and not being 'on' for a match.

Sure switch things around a bit and bring people off the bench but making a wholesale change one week and then the next I tend to think actually backfires a bit because the team get a little rusty even with only one game out.

I don't know how many times teams in World Cups and European Championships have looked like potential winners, romped the first two matches, rested a whole team for the 'meaningless' third match, brought in the first team again for the next match and then gone out.

What you say is fair enough but would you risk your key players potentially picking up a knock a few days before a semi final? I would be surprised to see more than 5 first team regulars in their starting line up.

Delighted with that tonight. Don't think we should rest anyone on Saturday lets gub the Jambos and try and get 4th in the league. I fancy another European tour.

Our only realistic chance of Europe is winning the cup, or losing the final to Celtic. (sorry, not a nice thought).

We will play as strong a squad as we had out tonight, perhaps minus murphy and humphrey and possibly another odd player that's struggling.

I'd like to see murphy and humphrey brought on later on in the game for some game time before our biggest match of the season the following weekend.

I would say we are really hitting form at the right time now. Getting top six is great in itself, but 2 semi's and the possibility of a Scottish Cup and europe still on the go in April? That's tremendous and full credit to the team for working their socks off to achieve that.

Sod it, if things keep going well, who's to say we can't finish 4th or 5th? :thumbup:

that has to go down as one of the hardest fought three points ever.

randy - heart heart heart

saunders - first start in a long time but superb

hutchy - brilliant, he owned the beast.

craggs - two or three last ditch challenges on the beast

mo ross - his celebrations at the end show where his heart is, mo loves randy

humph - great goal, lets keep it going

las - playing within in himself, i hope he gets a break on saturday. still amazing tho

hateley - another guy playing injured but a good show

forbes - he took confidence from the goal but tired near the end

murphy - quality, united's full backs are terrified of him

sutty - he looked tired, a legend regardless.

I think it's safe to say many who posted on here at the start of this thread felt that based on last week and ibrox on Saturday the best we could hope for was a draw. I bought into it if I'm honest, envisaging what we witnessed over the last half hour would extend over the whole game considering the players we had missing (2 in particular who were instrumental last week in Jenno and Jeffers).

While the ball being in the net was fortunate for both our goals, the drive and skill involved in the build up certainly warranted reward for the endeavour of Murphy and Humphrey.

Around me a number of fans were generally supportive of Forbes, partly down to his age and mindful her has played very well recently (Celtic and Dons away), it appeared to me many are mindful that confidence needs to be nurtured. I don't fully understand why as a young pro he is running on empty from 50 minutes on.

Goodwillie showed yet again why he's a player you love only if he's in your teams shirt. Verbal with some kids but the most surprising for me was his finish at the end, ball slipped through, 10 yards out, unmarked and with time, 9 times out of 10 he would have slotted it away. A lesser keeper would have been castigating his defence while picking the ball out of the net. Randolph stepped up tonight with some class saves, every Well fan owes Christian Dailly a pint if we ever see him.

Couldn't understand the reluctance of McCall to make subs to eat up time and/or give a few who were blowing a respite.

Have we exhausted every avenue with respect to Hutchison having a Scottish grandparent?

Last 30 was torture.

• Like 1

A very valuable win last night that we probably just deserved. Still Stuart McCall deserves a lot of credit for getting it right once again. The players deserve a lot of credit too for digging deep when many were tired and / or carrying injuries. For me, Shaun Hutchison and Darren Randolph were the pick of the bunch.

The highlight for me was Jamie Murphy's goal it it was good to see Chris Humphrey score again - convinced at the time it was going out for a corner! Not a great game football wise and David Robertson, Severin, Gomis, Goodwillie and Conway can all consider themselves fortunate not to be booked. Another typically physical display from United. We dug in an had to cling on desperately for the last 20 minutes or so. With legs tiring I thought we may have seen Jones, McHugh and Page come on a wee bit earlier to ease the pressure on a very deep defence.

Still the result now gives us a good chance of a top six slot.

Couldn't understand the reluctance of McCall to make subs to eat up time and/or give a few who were blowing a respite.

He said in his interview that it was mostly young boys on the bench and he needed experience on the pitch to deal with how tense the game had become.