Groundsman Required

Onthefringes

Understanding of the 'in & outs' marathon elsewhere, with rapid grass growth everywhere, hence, the demise of our 'green grass of home' thread, thought this worthy of it's own...

Probably* the best 'out' in the current closed season could be, if industry information is correct, Mr Wilson is now the ex-groundsman at Fir Park and destined for lush pastures (nae pun intended, lush and pastures are terms I'd use loosely as they never graced our hallowed turf for long) new.

*and I take no enjoyment of those facing impending redundancy ;)

I've long been a champion of the need for a better playing surface (holding up other pitch conditions as some sort of virtue carries no favour with the league committee either). As the club strives for the unexpected, it's emphasis on a productive youth system, efforts to engage the community amongst their aims... how may their attempt to provide a season long platform to showcase talent aid Stuart McCall? Monies better utilised elsewhere in the club be-it playing or non-playing side :nod: We await with interest.

They've got my vote.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aye really!

Nothing to to with rain or mud. The drainage is top notch at Fir Park.

Other factors affected the breakdown in the pitch.

The pitch broke up because the root system was overcooked by undersoil heating and suffocated with covers during the snow and frost.

The sand was added to and rolled to try and create a flat surface when it began to break up.

I'm happy to help

The undersoil heating pipes had baked the clay in the soil creating a solid layer between the grass and the drains. The drains were fine but the water wasn't even reaching them. To solve this they drilled down through the solid layer to allow the water to drain away, but also drilled through some of the heating pipes, which then meant the system had to be replaced too.

The following year when we had all the snow, SPL requirements forced us to have our covers and undersoil heating on, but because we grew the new pitch from seed, the year-old roots weren't strong enough to cope with that, and they were basically cooked and killed off.

Last time round they took it right back, around 4 feet from surface if I remember rightly. New sub-layer and foundations, new and additional drains, new heating system, new base and topsoil, and new turf.

I agree with the rest of your summary of the events that led to the pitch being fucked, but this part makes me wonder about the big wet patch christened "the deep end" that sprung up right in front of the east stand corner.

The drainage had collapsed over there, or had become blocked with mud & clay if I remember right no? It has been worked on since right enough.

Aye that's true - i was talking about the past cuppla seasons since the park was re-donw