Steelmenonline Crystal Ball - SPL 11/12

Steve Diggle

I cant see anything positive fior us next season, or league form in the latter end of last season was nothing less than shocking. After beating celtic at Fir Park we slumped to two appalling defeats to ICT and Killie and from then on in, the Cup run apart, the only decent performace was the comeback against Hearts.

We shipped 17 goals in the last 5 games including the Cup Final. We haven't strengthened anywhere we've just replaced Sutton with Higdon. Frankly, I think we'll struggle and I reckon relegation could be a threeway battle between us, St Mirren and Killie. Couldn't give a toss which of the bigots wins it but think it'll still be Hearts and Dundee United in the Europa places.

get a fucking grip man :doh:

Poor forum at the end was mostly down to fatigue, you could see it in the players, such a long season and by then pretty much nothing to play for. With no European games focus will be on the league and I think top 6 a minimum this season, the other sides in the SPL are all there for the taken and we do have some really technically good players. With McCall saying he will strengthing areas of the squad for competition I can only think that we will do better this season, I think 4th behind Hearts or who knows if we build some decent momentum up a title challenge :whistling:

I think it all depends on if we can keep Jennings and get another midfielder and striker in. According to McCall's e-mail to us he's got a few irons in the fire and the players seem focussed on bettering 6th spot and of course we can. I think 5th and a reasonablly good season ahead. :thumbup: . St.Mirren.Killie and Dunfermline will fight it out for relegation.

My predictions for the league are:

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Hearts

4. Dundee United

5. Motherwell

6. Inverness Caley Thistle

7. Aberdeen

8. Hibs

9. Kilmarnock

10. Dunfermline

11. St. Mirren

The fact our budget hasn't been cut and we have the nucleus of a good team in place will go in our favour, as Dundee United can't sign anyone until somebody leaves and Aberdeen and Hibs have big rebuilding jobs on their hands. As for the cups, my gut feeling is we will reach the semi-final of the League Cup, only to be beaten by one half of the Old Firm and we will get knocked out of the Scottish Cup at the first hurdle by an SPL team of similar or slightly lower reputation.

I think Celtic will win the league, as Jay said I don't think McCoist has enough to win the league in his first season. I don't think Rangers will be able to spend in the way some are suggesting. If Celtic can stop leaking silly goals I think they will win the league. If Hearts can gel their team quick enough they should walk third place, I think they'll be the only provincial club with competition for places this year. I think it will be between us and Dundee United for fourth, depending on the Goodwillie situation and who be bring in. As much as I can't see us being consistent and high quality next year, I can't see the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen doing much. I think Inverness are a shoe in for top six.

Perhaps this is wishful thinking but I think Aberdeen will struggle. Other than his "contacts" down south who may get him one or two decent players on loan, I think he will struggle to build a team. His success both at Scotland and us was largely down to him using the resources he already had. I also can't see Calderwood turning the corner and I think O'Connor will flop and will be lucky to hit double figures. Kilmarnock will struggle without Eremenko and Bryson, Dunfermline and St. Mirren will be made safe by St Johnstone, I think after promotion and a couple of good seasons, they will run out of steam, like Accies did last year.

Poor forum at the end was mostly down to fatigue, you could see it in the players, such a long season and by then pretty much nothing to play for. With no European games focus will be on the league and I think top 6 a minimum this season, the other sides in the SPL are all there for the taken and we do have some really technically good players. With McCall saying he will strengthing areas of the squad for competition I can only think that we will do better this season, I think 4th behind Hearts or who knows if we build some decent momentum up a title challenge :whistling:

A Cup Final isn't much to play for? Come on man, ffs we should have had players champing at the but to get picked for the final, instead we were going through the motions and that was the attitide we took into the final.

After beating celtic at Fir Park we slumped to two appalling defeats to ICT and Killie and from then on in, the Cup run apart, the only decent performace was the comeback against Hearts.

From what I understand, the defeat in Inverness was woeful, however the only appalling thing about the Killie game is they scored from their 1 attack after we camped in their half completely unjust and against the run of play. I'd suggest were you at the game caller, but I know you weren't.

Can't believe some of the doom and gloom on here. 3 Europa's in a row, 2 top 6's, Cup Final and diddy cup semi, every other team in the league cutting their cloth, our budget maintained, manager performing above average in transfer market so far, team maturing together and healthy bank balance.

I know its a Scottish trait to tend towards pessimism, but come on tae fuck.

From what I understand, the defeat in Inverness was woeful, however the only appalling thing about the Killie game is they scored from their 1 attack after we camped in their half completely unjust and against the run of play. I'd suggest were you at the game caller, but I know you weren't.

Can't believe some of the doom and gloom on here. 3 Europa's in a row, 2 top 6's, Cup Final and diddy cup semi, every other team in the league cutting their cloth, our budget maintained, manager performing above average in transfer market so far, team maturing together and healthy bank balance.

I know its a Scottish trait to tend towards pessimism, but come on tae fuck.

Hardly describes the 3-1 scoreline but I'll take your word for it, a friend who was there said we were fine first half and shite the second.

I

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Hearts

4. Hibernian

5. Dundee Utd

6. Inverness

7. Motherwell

8. Aberdeen

9. St Mirren

10. Dunfermline

11. St Johnstone

12. Kilmarnock

Really is a bit early to make a decisive punt but for right now I'll go with this.

Celtic will beat Rangers. In my view they have a slightly better squad and a fiiter squad. They dropped four home points to Inverness and Dundee Utd back in November last year from winning positions because Lennon thought they had the games won. Duly lost goals at the death and the points went abegging. Smith doesn't make mistakes like that in the other side of the city. Now Celtic have the more experienced manager and I expect them to utilise that. Also I see their team remaining more settled and as such can see them hitting the ground running.

Hearts only had Dundee United as challengers last year. However 2011 has been awful for them. I think having had 3rd sewn up and St Johnstone papping them out the cup in January they ended up without a fat lot to play for and suffered as a result. If they start poorly I can see their fans getting nervous and given their first game is at Ibrox, there is a chance their game with us in fixture round 3 could make or break their season.

Dundee Utd challenged well last year but there is no doubt in my mind they will go backwards. Colin Calderwood is a good manager however he has not really shown it at Hibs yet. Over the summer he has the chance to build his own team and if he can keep Gary O'Connor fit that is their goals problem sorted. Add in some of their youngsters have a year's experience I can see them having a decent season and jumping United.

I think Aberdeen, Inverness and us will be all very close. By the time the season starts we will all have a decent SPL squad. Brown is a wily old fox and as much as I hate him he will improve Aberdeen. Inverness are robust and difficult to beat and have a proven SPL goal scorer so I think they will do all right. I think we will have a season similar to last. We have an intensity about us and some good solid SPL players. Our youngsters, a bit like Hibs, will have another year in them and our number of games will have reduced.

St Mirren are the one team in the bottom four who look to have improved. Though like Hibs and O'Connor they need to keep Stephen Thompson fit. If not they'll go down a couple of places. Dunfermline have their first two games at home courtesy of this ridiculous friendly ruling with the Old FIrm and if they can get a good start momentum is a powerful ally and you can see them getting belief instilled in them.

St Johnstone are toothless and I just can't see where the goals are coming from and I feel Kilmarnock minus their four best players will just not recover. And I think Kenny Shiels could be their Maurice Malpas. And for me that is why they'll be going down.

I predict we won't make it through the first week of the season before someone says we are

a) punching above our weight

or

b) riding the Motherwell roller coaster

Far too early to make a prediction on the season when we are so far away from the transfer window closing. 10th or better will be just fine, but lets see how the squads line up first.

1 - Celtic

2 - Rangers

3 - Hearts

4 - Motherwell

5 - Dundee Utd

6 - ICT

-------------------------

7 - Dunfermline

8 - Aberdeen

9 - Hibernian

10 - St Johnstone

11 - Kilmarnock

12 - St Mirren ( R )

---------------------------

1 - Raith Rovers ( C )

League Cup - ICT (Big Tel deserves some success up North)

Scottish Cup - Motherwell I Hope :evilgrin:

Think the Shellik will win the league. Lennon has a season under his belt in charge whereas inexperience will cost McCoist who will flounder by March, out the cups and the league and will end up getting the sack.

Hearts will continue to be the 'third force' in the SPL but it won't be as easy as that suggests. I think Hearts, Dundee Utd and ourselves will be pretty close come May with us taking points off each other and the OF. If we manage to keep Jenno, that will be 6 or 7 first names on the team sheet who have been through the ups and downs of last season.

Same for the other Top Six spot. You'll not get a fag paper between ICT, Dunfermline, Hibs and Aberdeen.

I also think that Dunfermline will do that trick of newly promoted sides and stay up comfortably. There is little difference between the top of Division 1 and the bottom of the SPL.

Bottom three will consist of St Johnstone, Killie and St Midden and the table I've put up is how I hope it finishes. St Johnstone were hopeless in front of goal and will shop a shed load of goals. Killie have pretty much lost their first team and the leadership of big MIxu. I don't see Shiels being the answer. Finally, St Mirren and Danny Lennon will get found out, despite the signings and I hope they slip out the SPL, never to return.

Lot of people predicting a top 6 finish for Motherwell. Seems a bit premature considering so far we have signed a like for like striker, released a few players & not brought anyone in to replace them. Been a few exciting prospects branded about but until they put pen to paper then don't count on anything as the Grella saga should prove. Hopeful of a good season but until the signing window closes i have no idea what kind of season we will have. And what's with the we will do well in the cups? Just coz we had 2 good cup runs last season? We won the cup in '91 and done absolutely hee haw until the diddy cup in 2005 and then again hee haw til last season and we had better teams then than we do now.

Lot of people predicting a top 6 finish for Motherwell. Seems a bit premature considering so far we have signed a like for like striker, released a few players & not brought anyone in to replace them. Been a few exciting prospects branded about but until they put pen to paper then don't count on anything as the Grella saga should prove. Hopeful of a good season but until the signing window closes i have no idea what kind of season we will have. And what's with the we will do well in the cups? Just coz we had 2 good cup runs last season? We won the cup in '91 and done absolutely hee haw until the diddy cup in 2005 and then again hee haw til last season and we had better teams then than we do now.

I was basing my predictions on where i think teams will be when the season starts.If we went in with the team we have just now then relegation would be a serious possibility.

If we went in with the team we have just now then relegation would be a serious possibility.

Absolute nonsense. So we pretty much equal our league placing from the 09-10 season, haven't really lost integral players as yet, had two managerial upheavals running at Xmas (you would think we'd avoid that next year), we're maintaining our playing budget when everyone else's is decimated with a team growing and gelling together and a manager increasing his knowledge of the opposition and his teams capabilities. What precedent or reasonable argument can you have to suggest relegation is on the cards with a team from the following at present:

---------------------- Randolph --------------------------

Saunders - Hutchinson - Craigan - Hammell

-- Hateley ----------- Forbes ---------- Lasley --

------- Humphrey -------------------- Murphy -------

------------------------ Higdon --------------------------

I think many overlook if almost everyone else in the SPL (gruesome twosome and Hearts - I don't know how, exempt) is losing around £400k from their wage pool it means they can't attract anyone of any quality ..... and that's our opposition. You're giving too much respect to some of the other pish in this league and how they will perform.

However don't let the fact its mid June and there's still 2 months till the transfer window closes get in the way.

We do in theory have a decent squad, and I would assume that (if he goes) Jennings will be replaced very decently. I have a feeling that something is lined up for there.

I based my lower half Well prediction on nowt bar pessimism and my bad feeling that we are "due" a disappointing season.

However don't let the fact its mid June and there's still 2 months till the transfer window closes get in the way.

Its the fact that its only mid-June that is making me hesitant at being too sure of where most teams will finish. Potentially much wheeling and dealing to be done. Given the finances of most, most likely a list as long as your arm of EPL youngsters on loan in the last couple of days in August.

There are other factors too like a change of manager that can de-rail a side for a spell, a January firesale or perhaps most significant if teams are carrying reduced squads, a spate of injuries.

I suspct there will be very little between 4th and 10th next season but at the monent I'd hazard a guess at.....

1st: Celtic

2nd: Rangers

3rd: Hearts

4th: Dundee Utd

5th: Motherwell

6th: Kilmarnock

7th: Aberdeen

8th: Hibernian

9th: Inverness

10th: St Johnstone

11th: St Mirren

12th: Dunfermline