Steelmenonline Crystal Ball - SPL 11/12

Steve Diggle

Dundee Utd will struggle to make the top top 6 this season. I think they have just about lost their whole midfield & if Goodfanny doesn't leave now i see him leaving in the January transfer window.

Dundee Utd can put out a midfield of Scott Robertson, Willo Flood, Danny Swanson and John Rankin, still one of the better midfield quartets in the league I'd say. The kid Scott Allan is also supposed to be a player and he'll probably get his chance this season.

With Goodwillie, Daly and Russell up front I don't think they will struggle for goals.

I've said it before but if you can get a striker to chip in with 15+ goals and an other couple to get 10+ each then Top Six is almost guaranteed.

don't think I've put one up yet so I'll go with ,

rangers

Celtic

hearts

Motherwell

Dundee united

Aberdeen

--------------

dunfermline

inverness

st Johnstone

killie

st midden

hibs

we'll improve but i reckon hearts will still be best of the rest.

hibs'll be down.... hopefully.

The big Well question right now is up front. Think Higdon is 50/50 to succeed with us. Could go like this –

We keep Murphy, bring in a quality understudy on loan, Higdon settles and scores 15. We are one of the most dangerous and balanced teams in league and fight for 4th.

Or like this –

Murphy leaves, Higdon lumps about on his own up front watching balls fly over his head, we bring in not much.

Or even like this – McHugh bursts onto the scene and steals the season – he impressed in Dumbarton.

I'll go 5th for well, not bothered about the rest. Badly want a win against Celtic the CF was painful. And I think Hearts may bomb, and I hope they do.

Rangers

Celtic

Hearts

Dundee United

Motherwell

Hibernian

Inverness

Kilmarnock

Dunfermline

Aberdeen

St Mirren

St Johnstone

Celtic vs Rangers in at least one of the finals. Then Hearts or United to win a cup.

Craig Brown will need a strong start or hes fucked.

1 + 2 - There only ever will be a handful of points to seperate them - so could really go either way.

3 - Hearts - probably have a big enough squad, and despite JJ being a wank, he has the experience and knows how to get results in this league

4 - Motherwell - normally a bit more pessimistic about our chances, but just think due to the lack of quality elsewhere in the league then we will be up there, on the occasions we have our fit first team squad we will beat most teams, we will drop points when we have the occasional injury but still more quality than most..

5 - United - Think they'll dip - they have arguably a smaller squad (in terms of first team experience) than we do, and that is saying something - with Goodwillie now cup tied, wouldnt be all that surprising to see him stay at United for one more season before his move to Rangers - if so his goals will keep them top 6

6 - St Mirren - Decent signings, Smith is an adequate 'keeper - albeit would have been better keeping Gallacher, Thompson is a great bit of business,

personally feel Teale is pish, but should still be capable of providing Thompson with enough ammunition to score a good few goals, improved their squad unlike the others who have gone backwards

7 - Kilmarnock - Loss of key players, but have signed a barrell load of foreigners, that could be brilliant or awful - putting them here as they have a knack of picking up results and always being safe, despite being fucking gash.

8 - Inverness CT - Loss of Rooney's goals could be massive, and they may be lucky to finish this highly, but Butcher will have them motivated, and they'll always be organised and hard to beat, so will pick up enough points

9 - St Johnstone - Not much between them and the Pars, but McInnes experience over McIntyre will be crucial and they'll pick up more points along the way

10 - Dunfermline Athletic - We continually see it with teams promoted from the 1st Division, they are all competitive and don't fall straight back down, as such the fight and desire to stay in the league could be enough to keep them above Hibs/Aberdeen who will have the thoughts of being "too big to go down"

11 - Hibs - Calderwood will probably be gone imminetly, which means any new manager wont have had much time to assemble a squad, nor analyse the current squad - which is frankly gash - O'Connor will still score them goals, and will be enough to keep them above Aberdeen - but I perceive an interesting relegation tussle between two of the "bigger" teams of the SPL.

12 - Aberdeen - No goalscorer, untried 'keeper (who just by the look of him looks a bombscare), a defensive line of Andrew Considine and no creativity in midfield with the departure of Hartley, and they'll sorely miss that wank Maguire - and with little to no funds to really strengthen - they are screwed and we can all hopefully all laugh at Browns departure by Nov/Dec.

6 - St Mirren - Decent signings, Smith is an adequate 'keeper - albeit would have been better keeping Gallacher, Thompson is a great bit of business,

personally feel Teale is pish, but should still be capable of providing Thompson with enough ammunition to score a good few goals, improved their squad unlike the others who have gone backwards

The most league goals Steven Thompson has ever scored in his career is 8. And that was at Rangers.

The most league goals Steven Thompson has ever scored in his career is 8. And that was at Rangers.

Scored 9 in 2008/09, but that apart, you're entirely right.

Will never forget laughing in a girls face at Hampden for shouting that we should bring Steven Thompson on, 'he'd get us a goal!'.

Scored 9 in 2008/09, but that apart, you're entirely right.

If we're being pedantic - and it looks like we are :P - Soccerbase has his 2008/2009 season stats listed as 8 in the League, one in the Championship Play-off (which arguably isn't a league game).

Call me perceptive, but when this thread started the majority of posts erred towards a bottom 6 finish, since the friendlies it's more or less been 4th/5th across the board. Don't know if its because people realise the other teams are in a worse way, a few think Nicky Law is going to be the key to our season or the optimistic posters were all away on holiday 2 weeks ago.

according to wikipedia he's scored around 89 career goals and been in double figures with all his clubs. Or something like that.

Sorry, slightly ambiguous statement by me.

I meant the most league goals he's scored in a season has been 8.

He's scored double figures at most of his clubs because he's been there for 2 or 3 seasons.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

If we're being pedantic - and it looks like we are :P - Soccerbase has his 2008/2009 season stats listed as 8 in the League, one in the Championship Play-off (which arguably isn't a league game).

It's always been considered a league game in Football Manager. That's good enough for me! rolleyes.gif