We Are Going To Finish 3rd This Season

pingu

Bold prediction I know, and it's easy to say at this stage in the season, but there are plenty of reasons why:

- one of the best keepers in the league

- a settled nucleas of a team who achieved top 6, a semi final and a final last year, and European footy for 3 years

- the right blend of youth and experience - see a potential back 4 of Saunders, Craigan, Hutchinson and Hammell for an example.

- football that is played the right way, with passing, build up play, guile and craft

- a lack of physicality in previous years has perhaps been addressed by the addition and emergence of Hutchinson, Saunders and Higdon

- a lack of a clear frontrunner as the 'best of the rest' - Hearts are in disarray, Hibs and Aberdeen will again underachieve. The main competition for 3rd is Dundee Utd and they have lost their main striker. (I also think Killie will finish top 6)

- McCall seems to have a good rapport with players and fans, and players seem to have good team spirit (see Twitter).

Discuss....!

• Like 1

We have an excellent first 11 than can compete against anyone in the league although our bench is amongst the weakest and if we were to suffer a few injuries/suspensions or were to lose Murphy without bringing in an able replacement then we could struggle for goals. We'v had a fantastic start to the season but try not to get carried away, I expect when Sergio settles at Hearts they will be a much more cohesive unit and with the size of squad they have injuries wont affect them nearly as much. Top six again and a decent cup run would be a fantastic achievement for this squad.

• Like 1

I'm not getting carried away, I thought at the start of the season before a ball was kicked (after the Leeds game actually where we were easily the better side IMO) we had a very good chance of 3rd. Now the season is 3 games in I believe that more. Seriously, and without amber tinted specs, who are better than Motherwell outside the Old Firm? I wouldn;t say anyone.

The window is not yet closed and although that means players can go, I don't see it. Instead, I would expect to be strengthened by probably 2 signings. We may appear light on numbers but we are only light on experienced numbers outwith the first 11. There are players there and signs are that a good few are ready to make a step up. With 2 extra players, preferably a striker and midfielder, and the contribution from younger players, surely to fuck we can finish top of a pile of dross?

Far too soon to tell. We need to see where we stand depth-wise after the transfer window closes. The SPL is a long, hard season and if we have to be throwing 19 year olds into the team in January then we can expect some inconsistency.

Great to get some early points on the board, though. It's a much easier game when your winning.

• Like 1

I know it's highly unlikely but just one season I'd love for us to finish 2nd, it'd be like winning the league for us!

I remember that happening but we should have won the league! (H) 0-1 Dundee Utd. (A) 3-3 Raith, (H) 0-1 St. Johnstone. Two wins out of that lot and we would have been Premier League champions if I remember correctly!

3rd would be a major achievement this season but I do think we should be aiming for Top 6 as a minimum.

Next week will be a big match. We will be missing Lasley, an important player for us, and up against a team we don't have a particularly good record against, away from home, who are also going well.

If we get through that test we will be in a good position but there is a long, long way to go. Holding on to Randolph and Murphy will be crucial.

I remember that happening but we should have won the league! (H) 0-1 Dundee Utd. (A) 3-3 Raith, (H) 0-1 St. Johnstone. Two wins out of that lot and we would have been Premier League champions if I remember correctly!

3rd would be a major achievement this season but I do think we should be aiming for Top 6 as a minimum.

Next week will be a big match. We will be missing Lasley, an important player for us, and up against a team we don't have a particularly good record against, away from home, who are also going well.

If we get through that test we will be in a good position but there is a long, long way to go. Holding on to Randolph and Murphy will be crucial.

I think that was actually previous season when we finished 3rd if I remember right? It was very tight at the top and came down to those results as you say, but the following season although we were 2nd it was by quite a distance. Much closer to winning the league when we finished 3rd than we were when we finished 2nd.

I will leave my thoughts on that untill after the Rangers game, then i think i would be better postioned to guess are final position in the League, but having seen whats on offer from Hearts i cant see them being a major force to be reckoned with.

Love to think 3 place, as yet not seen any team that are oustanding and that included both the OF.

This is just a wee bit ludicrous suggesting we are going to finish third after just three games. Let's not forget we are only top because Celtic and Rangers have played a game less than us.

I'll hold judgement until we've played a couple of the teams who'll be challenging us for that third spot, and until I see if we are actually going to try a leg against the blue bigots this season.

• Like 1

I think that was actually previous season when we finished 3rd if I remember right? It was very tight at the top and came down to those results as you say, but the following season although we were 2nd it was by quite a distance. Much closer to winning the league when we finished 3rd than we were when we finished 2nd.

Yeah you are right.

That 3-3 draw at Raith, it was a free kick equalizer in the last couple of minutes....I think that was the only time Raith took points off us when they were in the Premier league! Greetin' now.

With the current squad we could finish third but it's unrealistic to think the current squad will be available for the whole season. Lasley is suspended after just 3 games & Higdon missed the second game with an injury so even assuming we don't lose players in the transfer window we will be struggling with injuries, suspensions and loss of form over the season. To be honest our bench is piss poor and that will be our downfall. And before anyone gets carried away just rember that even if we beat St.Mirren it's odds on that we will get our usual pumping from Rangers no matter how well we are playing & how bad they are.

This is just a wee bit ludicrous suggesting we are going to finish third after just three games. Let's not forget we are only top because Celtic and Rangers have played a game less than us.

I'll hold judgement until we've played a couple of the teams who'll be challenging us for that third spot, and until I see if we are actually going to try a leg against the blue bigots this season.

it doesn't happen very often Lip but I agree with you.

It's far too early to even talk about finishing 3rd. Don't count Hearts out yet. In 1997-1998 season Celtic looked really poor and lost their first 2 games. They went on to win the league. Every team has a spell where they find it tough and we will have one of those spells. What matters is how we deal with it. We will either bounce back but with such a small squad we could crumble.

What I like about our squad though is it may be small but it's quite versatile. In another thread people are talking about players with the capability of playing in a number of positions. That can only be a good thing. A couple of good loanees before the window shuts and I think we will finish 4th behind Hearts and a swift return to the Europa League.

Far too premature for predictions like this! At least wait until we know our squad for the first half of the season, keep Murphy and Randolph and maybe get a few loans and 3rd could be a realistic target, loose them and its a totally different story.

Just yous wait and see! OK it's early in the season but, assuming we bring in a player or two and keep Randolph and Murphy, why the hell can't we?!

Negativity for negativity's sake. Why is it that we cannot see ourselves as 'best of the rest'? It's already negative enough to assume (unfortunately correctly) that the extent of any non-OF team's ambitions is 3rd. Why

I've seen enough signs to suggest that we will be in amongst it and I would be surprised if Motherwell and Dundee United weren't fighting it out for 3rd come the end of the season.

• Like 1

Just yous wait and see! OK it's early in the season but, assuming we bring in a player or two and keep Randolph and Murphy, why the hell can't we?!

Negativity for negativity's sake. Why is it that we cannot see ourselves as 'best of the rest'? It's already negative enough to assume (unfortunately correctly) that the extent of any non-OF team's ambitions is 3rd. Why

I've seen enough signs to suggest that we will be in amongst it and I would be surprised if Motherwell and Dundee United weren't fighting it out for 3rd come the end of the season.

You seem to have written off Hearts! I think once their new manger settles in (if he's given the time), with the squad they have, they must be favourites for 3rd. It's a long season Pingu and we are only 3 games in.

Nobody said we can't. We're just not assuming we bring in a player or two and keep Randolph and Murphy. So for now, it's too early to tell.

If we could guarantee our starting 11 on the pitch every week, we'd have a great chance, but it's very much a squad game, and we still lack depth.