Motherwell Vs St Johnstone Discussion Thread

David

the next two saturdays are games that really matter. if we want to get europe we need to be regularly taking 3 points in these kind of fixtures.

last season against the bottom six teams we took 28 points from a maximum 54. there is obvious room for improvement there and we have started well getting 9 out of 9 against what you would assume will be the bottom six.

last season hearts took 44 of their final total of 63 points against the bottom six. they only actually took one point more than us against the other top six sides which means they basically got third because of their record against the bottom six.

• Like 1

Got to say St Johnstone are generally a well organised stuffy outfit and it is very unusual for them to be conceding many. On the flip side they don't score a fat lot either. Really outwith the Old Firm last year the only team that turned them over in the league was us and that happened to be a night that Humprhey was just unplayable. I can see this being one of these frustrating games where the opposition come along and dig in for 90 minutes. Most of the game will be played in front of their goal but goalmouth action will be at a premium and we'll find them a tough nut to crack. What will make this game a comprehensive win will be if Humprhey and Daley (if he plays) run riot down the wings and follow up with good final balls. If they aint on song we'll struggle to get better than a 0-0. However I think we'll snek it 1-0.

Got to say St Johnstone are generally a well organised stuffy outfit and it is very unusual for them to be conceding many. On the flip side they don't score a fat lot either. Really outwith the Old Firm last year the only team that turned them over in the league was us and that happened to be a night that Humprhey was just unplayable. I can see this being one of these frustrating games where the opposition come along and dig in for 90 minutes. Most of the game will be played in front of their goal but goalmouth action will be at a premium and we'll find them a tough nut to crack. What will make this game a comprehensive win will be if Humprhey and Daley (if he plays) run riot down the wings and follow up with good final balls. If they aint on song we'll struggle to get better than a 0-0. However I think we'll snek it 1-0.

An early goal is crucial against teams like this, try and make them come out. We beat them 3 times last season and each time we scored in the first 15 minutes and the games were essentially over by half time. Infact twice last season we were 3 up at half time against them. They really seem to struggle with our pace and width and if we come flying out the blocks and grab an early goal as I said earlier I feel we will win it comfortably. However the longer they keep it at 0-0 the more I will worry. People will get restless and we will end up panicking if we can't break them down and start pumping aimless high balls forward.

However I think both Murray and Callum Davidson are out and Jody Morris is a doubt, they will be big misses. I fancy us to come out with a point to prove and take the game to them and as I said if we get an early goal we will win it comfortably.

All these folk getting carried away with themselves and predicting an easy victory, not gonna happen.

I reckon it will be a very tight and downright awful football match....however....I think we'll just scrape it 1-0.

It's as likely to be an easy victory as it is a downright awful 1-0.

If we're going to be near 3rd we need to win these sort of games and we will win this one, 3-1.

It's as likely to be an easy victory as it is a downright awful 1-0.

If we're going to be near 3rd we need to win these sort of games and we will win this one, 3-1.

I don't really agree with that because when we finished 3rd the last time there were games we should have won and didn't. The 3-0 pumping at home to Falkirk springing to mind.

Throughout the course of a season you will lose games that you expect to win and vice versa. The trick is to keep the losses against the teams you expect to beat to a minimum. If we lose on Saturday it's not the end of the world although some people will be on here afterwards acting as if it was :rolleyes:

We'll need to keep an eye on Sandaza especially with an under strength defense.

Good player and if we'd got him I'd have thought it was a bit of a coup.

Then there is Ciaran Sheridan who hasn't scored in 6 games and who I didn't rate at all and therefore is probably a stick on to score on his return!

Not much chat going on about this one tomorrow is there, i am confident of the win, really looking forward to seeing Omar Daley have a run out, quicker than Humphrey that has got to be worth seeing surely, could be the missing link.. cant wait!

i think we'll win tomorrow but i'm a bit worried about the craigan - clancy partnership at the back, i think we'll probably concede.

looking forward to seeing daley. released by bradford and unemployed in august doesn't sound that promising but he seems to be doing ok internationaly and we all know that pace can make up for other failings.

i'm really hoping to see murph back on form tomorrow after a wee spell where he hasn't done much. hammell, law and murph were electric down the left in the leeds and ict games but we haven't used that option much since then. hopefully tomorrow the 3 of them get right at dave mackay and we'll have some joy.

It a fare point actually, Murphy has been AWOL, in the last few games, well lets hope he will shine tom, big game for Higdon, could be a hero after tom game... all out attack as i cant see them scoring many, but prob the coupon buster knowing Motherwell.

St. Johnstone Away form

09.04.11 Dundee Utd L 1-2

30.04.11 Hibs W 2-1

07.05.11 Aberdeen W 2-0

14.05.11 St.Mirren D 0-0

23.07.11 Aberdeen D 0-0

21.06.11 Celtic W 1-0

10.07.11 St.Mirren D 0-0

So undefeated in 6 away matches, not conceded an away goal in 5 matches (or 517 minutes to be precise).

Will be a tough nut to crack but I fancy a debut goal for Omar Daley and a 1-0 win. If we can do better great but I just want the 3 points.

sunny where I am

anyway looking forward to todays game as I missed the last home game

as for todays result St Johnston won't make it easy and unless we score early and make St Johnston open up a bit it will be a bit of a dull match but what the feck I've seen loads of them before!

2-0 Well

Well, its finally happened, able to go to the game today but not bothering, nothing to do with the team, they're doing fantastically well but £20... no thanks. Always said i'd have to pick and chose my games this season and this one bites the dust. Will still be hoping for a win though, just on the couch rather than at the 'ark :P