Motherwell Vs St Johnstone Discussion Thread

David

Where do you start after a performance like that? You could spend all weekend typing. From the management team to the goalkeeper to the rest of the team from back to front it was absolutely woeful. Not a single player out there with perhaps the exception of Nicky Law gave it more than 65% at any point in that match.

Stuart McCall. It's not good enough to have a Plan A and then cross your fingers. If it's not working you have to make changes, you have to switch things. It was obvious changes had to be made today AT HALF TIME and nothing happened until the 72nd minute!

Darren Randolph. Brilliant last season. This season he is rapidly going backwards. Came out and missed a cross under no pressure whatsoever. Did it again the second half and then the third goal was poor from him as well. I'm not saying he is at the liability stage but it is worrying to see him doing things you would never have dreamed of him doing last season. It started with Leeds Utd and it's been creeping into his game ever since.

The rest. Sloppy in defence, the midfield was BLOWN AWAY by St. Johnstone's second string midfield. Did Steve Jennings sign a new contract or what? Shocking display. I'd drop him for next week. He looks like he'd rather have moved on during the close season. Kevin Moon and Jamie Adams ran all over the top of us in midfield. Up front nothing but to be fair its hard for strikers to do it on their own if the rest of the team is rank rotten. That said we had one shot on target today as far as I can remember that required a save.

We were just timid, lethargic, under performed in every criteria you could imagine. The midfield needs to be revamped for next week. Humphrey, Jennings, even Lasley - not good enough.

Let's be honest about this - our points tally this season has flattered us a bit. We were lucky to get a point at Kilmarnock, we were lucky to get three points at St. Mirren. We probably deserved the win against Hearts but Hearts were terrible and we didn't exactly set the heather on fire in that game. I think too many people, including some of the players, think we are better than we are because we've had some breaks this season.

Time for a kick up the arse, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

A terrible performance. Not quite sure what actually happened to be honest, we simply didn't look like the team we've been in recent non-old firm games :mellow:

Still, it's games like this that give the moaning c*nts on this board a chance to do their thing.

You're not moaning there are you?:whistling:

Anyone that watched that dross today is entitled to moan all they want in my book as that was the worst i have saw in a long time. Couldn't pass 10 yards, control was non existent, drive and creativity well lets just say there wasn't a lot to be kind to the players.

Mc Call you said its about how we react after the Celtic game, if that's how we react then were fooked.

I can accept a poor performance from any Motherwell team, but what I will never accept is being outfought, which is what happened today. Too many players simply didn't give enough against a St Johnstone team who were hungrier and worked a damn sight harder than anyone in Claret and Amber today. I'd have them in for training tonight and tomorrow, they have a cheek taking a wage quite honestly.

Defensively we were very weak, and quite frankly were bullied by Sheridan and Sandaza. Time to man up lads! The midfield was non-existant too, when we needed some drive and direction sadly they went into hiding. Up front we were powder puff, but the service to them was shocking, so perhaps they escape the major flack.

Tuesday night v Hibs I'd be starting Page, Forbes, Carswell and McHugh, some of the established players need a real boot in the arse, so dropping them might just achieve that.

One awful performance doesn't necessarily ruin our season, but we need a big reaction over the next two games, otherwise we will slip into the mid-table mire and the early season optimism will be completely dissipated.

Utter, utter shite. Made an average team look great.. Loads of the ball but absolutely terrible passing at times made it too easy.

Defence was howling, both centre-halves have a cheek to call themselves footballers. Cannae pass, run or dribble worth a fuck. With Hutch and Saunders out I'm worried for our goal difference. I usually like to give a player time to settle but Tim Clancy is pish. Seriously pish.

If our attackers had shown up today we mightve won but the whole team were off the pace today and we deserved to get pumped.

Let's be honest about this - our points tally this season has flattered us a bit. We were lucky to get a point at Kilmarnock, we were lucky to get three points at St. Mirren. We probably deserved the win against Hearts but Hearts were terrible and we didn't exactly set the heather on fire in that game. I think too many people, including some of the players, think we are better than we are because we've had some breaks this season.

Time for a kick up the arse, I'm afraid.

In a nutshell! After 15 minutes I thought here we go, we were playing some attractive football and at that point could not foretell what was on the cards.

Then after the St Johnstone goal (from yet another freekick/dead ball situation :wallbash: ) we were as a whole abject. Not one player deserves a pat on the back yet all deserve a kick up the backside.

I had fears about today, especially with the majority of fans predicting an easy home win. This is Motherwell after all :evilgrin:

What worries me:

7 goals conceded in 2 games

A St Johnstone side with 3 or 4 key players missing :blush:

Lack of options on the bench

Lack of tactics form the Manager when we are up against it

Clancy looking like the player most Killie fans said he was :doh:

Higdon looking like the player most St Mirren fans said he was :doh:

Murphy touted for £1million. At this rate £1

We have Aberdeen next week and a player who takes long throws ins a la Delap at Stoke. The way we are defending cross balls. Squeaky bum time.

I don't think we have been as good as has been made out and we are not as bad as we were today - hopefully.

Concerned a little over Higdon. He did little more than jump for the ball and then stand still whatever the outcome. I don't think there would be one poster on here tonight that would not swap Higdon for Sandaza. The big man needs to get the finger oot

Bad day at the office

I can accept a poor performance from any Motherwell team, but what I will never accept is being outfought, which is what happened today. Too many players simply didn't give enough against a St Johnstone team who were hungrier and worked a damn sight harder than anyone in Claret and Amber today. I'd have them in for training tonight and tomorrow, they have a cheek taking a wage quite honestly.

Defensively we were very weak, and quite frankly were bullied by Sheridan and Sandaza. Time to man up lads! The midfield was non-existant too, when we needed some drive and direction sadly they went into hiding. Up front we were powder puff, but the service to them was shocking, so perhaps they escape the major flack.

Tuesday night v Hibs I'd be starting Page, Forbes, Carswell and McHugh, some of the established players need a real boot in the arse, so dropping them might just achieve that.

One awful performance doesn't necessarily ruin our season, but we need a big reaction over the next two games, otherwise we will slip into the mid-table mire and the early season optimism will be completely dissipated.

Totally agree about Page, Forbes etc, Completely pathetic performance, I can no longer pay money to watch that, times are tight!!! you wouldn't mind if you seen players bursting a gut but that they aint!! Not one pass mark today.....an embarrassment!!

That was abysmal today. Looked like a bunch of strangers who were out for a stroll and got their arses well and truly kicked. Big, big turnaround required for the next two absolutely crucial games.

Tae go to Celtic park and create nothing you can to a certain extent understand that ,but to lose 0-3 to a St Johnstone side missing 3 or 4 first team regulars is inexcusable. The whole team with the exception of Law was rank rotten and Lasley ,Higdon ,Murphy and Humphrey were posted missing once again.It speaks volumes about our squad that players can play crap week in week out and still keep there place in the first eleven.

The full team were pish today and the effort, heart and fight was missing just like last week. McCall has one plan and if that isn't working there is no plan B and no way he will change it. Higdon will take a lot of abuse and blame after today, but IMO the faults don't lie at his door. How many passes were played on the deck near him today, how many crosses were put in for him and how many players were near him for flick ons and 2nd balls - answer absolutely fucking none. Jennings has been a fat over weight passenger this season, Murphy is wasted where he's getting asked to play and Chris Humphrey makes Casagolda look like a footballer. Yet we suffer him every week and McCall appears either too arrogant or inept to drop him.;

We have lost 9 goals since Tim Clancy joined our back four and you can read into that what you want but why is Page not getting a chance or will he ever? Forbes has played one game this season and played well, when will he get his chance? I'm not saying they will makes things rosy in the garden but at least I might see some effort and fight.

The happy clappys on here will bury their head in the sand and say this is negative but with such a thin squad, a manager who appears to have no plan B and a team who for two weeks in a row have shown no fight, spirit and heart I fear a long season with a relegtaion fight!!

Have a go at me all you want but the lack of motivation is a big problem since McCall come in. Don't get me wrong i like the guy but every game we lose there doesn't seem to be any drive in the players. Its as if they don't wanna be out there. Yes they should be up for it etc etc but they aren't are they. Some players look like they are there just to make the numbers up.

When players are motivated and right up for playing they obviously play far better. We need mr motivator :help:

Its tiny simple things that make the biggest difference :nod:

Atrocious. Total inability to pass the ball, no creativity and no awareness of what was going on. To be honest I think we were trying hard enough it just didn't happen today. Wrong decisions all over the place, couldn't get the midfield in the game - did they show enought to get in it? Humphrey wandered inside so often - thats not his strength. Higdon was the best of the forward six. And he was mince. Craigan and Clancy were on the whole fine but then lost concentration and every time they did it cost us a goal. But they aren't quick enough. The full back - Hammell was all right, Hateley probably had the best bits of play for us but he also had some of the worst. Randolph didn't cost us any goals despite his moment in the first half.

Life under McCall from day one has drifted from really highs to really lows and today is the worst I've seen since the 1-4 at Dunfermline under Malpas. Hopefully it was a freak and he gives them a rocket up their collective rectums because performances like that will end the optimism in jig time.

Higdon will take a lot of abuse and blame after today, but IMO the faults don't lie at his door. How many passes were played on the deck near him today, how many crosses were put in for him and how many players were near him for flick ons and 2nd balls - answer absolutely fucking none.

One of the problems, and I've mentioned this before is our wide players, especially down the right hand side don't get to the by line. Instead we either hit crosses from the 18 yard line or play triangles and either try to cut inside by dribbling into the box or move it back into midfield again.

A wide player has to hit the by line and then cross to be effective, especially when like St. Johnstone today, the opposition is playing with two fours really compact in front of the goal, there is no space to cut inside, you aren't going to through the middle of them and crossing from 18 yards or so makes it much easier to defend.

You have to give your own players a chance of winning it by having the ball crossed out towards the players moving forward instead of straight on to the defending players.

Back down to earth with one hell of a bump eh!

If we had any cover at the back I'd have Hately back in midfield pronto as I thought he did ok today. He certainly didn't look disinterested and you couldn't question his effort IMO. Jennings just hasn't been at it this season and after a good start Lasley's form has evaporated.

Nicky Law needs to stop wandering inside all the time and remember he is playing on the left side of midfield. Some of our bast play has come from his link up with Hammell and Murphy but when he wanders all over the pitch those two struggle to get into the game.

It hasn't taken teams long to work out how to stop us playing, all they have to do is press us high up the pitch and stop our fullbacks pushing forward. As others have said we have absolutely no Plan B.

That was just surreal today....bizarre. It wasn't even a poor performance, because in a poor performance a few players don't play well, make a few mistakes and things don't come off. This beyond that and was every single player. It was like watching a group of guys who have all had a fucking massive argument, and then went out and tried to play football while they are all still thinking about it.

If Chris Humphrey INSISTS on looking to run inside every single time, FUCKING PLAY HIM ON THE LEFT! It's no difficult to figure out....

Outfought and never up for it, to read these c***s on twitter you'd think they were fucking Barcelona, put down the keyboards chaps and get back to playing football.

When you're having an off day you fucking work hard to make sure you don't lose.

• Like 2

Just back in from the game after spunking the best part of a ton on ferries, petrol, pies and paying at the gate.

What a load of pish.

Clancy is not a central defender. What the fuck has happened to Jennings ? Humphrey is a waste of a jersey (seems to be every game I go to) and Higdon actually looks like his feet are nailed to the floor.

No pass markes for anyone really today, apart from maybe Law, but the packed final 3rd meant he regularly ran into a brick wall.

Makes it a long bloody trip home after watching such a shower of shite :wallbash:

just up on the bbc.

Manager McCall bemoans Motherwell performance

_55432454_mccall.jpg McCall is hoping for a response when Motherwell play Hibs on Tuesday Motherwell manager Stuart McCall admitted his side were "second best" after watching them go down 3-0 at home against St Johnstone.

"From one to 11, not one of us won an individual battle," McCall told BBC Scotland. "Throughought the entire team, we lost every battle going.

"We were poor in possession. Movement wasn't good enough.

"Take nothing away from St Johnstone. Disappointing goals obviously. The second goal killed us off completely."

McCall is relieved Motherwell have a midweek match on the horizon, with Hibernian visiting Fir Park in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

"It's all about character - we'll be back to the grind tomorrow," added McCall.

"When you've had a poor performance like that, you need to get back out there and thankfully we've got a game on Tuesday night at home and we need to show character, first and foremost.

"We need to battle and scrap and show the desire to win football games rather than just playing pretty, passing football because sometimes that's not good enough to win football matches."

I thought thats what today was about???