Where Is The Dig In Our Team?

gilmour

Im not knee jerking to the bad result today, been thinking this for a while just today highlighted it more.

Where are the heart and soul for the club players remember the ones who would rather run through a brick wall than accept defeat. Where is the 1 player in the team that will say defeat is not acceptable and roar at the other players to get there fingers out. I was actually thinking this at the Dunfermline game when they started to get into the game, i didnt fear not winning as we were playing well as a unit and could step it up a gear but as today showed when the unit isnt playing well where is the leader on the park?

Remember Oneill he'd rather loose both legs than get beat. Davie cooper, Mc Cormack and Mc Fadden could all change games we seem to be lacking this type of player or maybe we sold them all. But other teams seem to have a heart and soul player where is ours?

Im not knee jerking to the bad result today, been thinking this for a while just today highlighted it more.

Where are the heart and soul for the club players remember the ones who would rather run through a brick wall than accept defeat. Where is the 1 player in the team that will say defeat is not acceptable and roar at the other players to get there fingers out. I was actually thinking this at the Dunfermline game when they started to get into the game, i didnt fear not winning as we were playing well as a unit and could step it up a gear but as today showed when the unit isnt playing well where is the leader on the park?

Remember Oneill he'd rather loose both legs than get beat. Davie cooper, Mc Cormack and Mc Fadden could all change games we seem to be lacking this type of player or maybe we sold them all. But other teams seem to have a heart and soul player where is ours?

Mentioned the same thing today when we lost the cheap goals.

Absolutely no reaction from anyone, which is alarming.

Craigan certainly wasn't playing the captains role with either rocketing or geeing up team mates.

Totally flat performance again today.

Are the players happy with the line ups and instructions?

I think we do have players who's heart is with the club but today was one of those days when nothing went right from start to finish.

There was just something wrong with the whole build up to and the atmosphere around the game. I think fans as well as players were guilty of thinking this was going to be an easy 3 points despite the fact that as I and others pointed out St. Johnstone's away form is pretty good over an extended period.

At this stage you just have to write it off as a one off and hope we take on board some lessons from it. However if we play like we did in the next two games then obviously it's more of a problem.

Im not knee jerking to the bad result today

Remember Oneill he'd rather loose both legs than get beat. Davie cooper, Mc Cormack and Mc Fadden could all change games we seem to be lacking this type of player or maybe we sold them all

Are the players happy with the line ups and instructions?

I think we do have players who's heart is with the club

This place after a defeat is hilarious. After every single defeat as well :lol:

tumblr_lq5oxk7TWl1qanb21o1_400.gif

Call it dig, bottle, character, mental strength, call it what you will, but I agree there are certainly times when it appears we could be doing with a supply of it.

I think it was gilmour elsewhere who suggested painful as it was we should cut them slack for that one today. A continuation on Tuesday and next Saturday, then that changes things altogether. I think that's fair - for the short term.

Any Motherwell team no matter how well we've been doing has it in them to shit in the nest. Thinking here for example McLeish's side who finished runners-up losing 6-1 to eventually relegated Dundee Utd, or losing 3-0 to Falkirk later on that season when we still had to secure a Euro place. And staying with the Bairns there was a 3-0 at Fir Park when we appeared to be at the peak of our powers under McGhee. So an unexpected and shit result in itself is hardly rare.

The key thing first and foremost will be the immediate response on Tuesday and Saturday but it is an increasing worry the way we have been on the wrong end of some right hidings to non-Old Firm sides this calender year 3-1 Killie (going on 5 or 6), 3-0 at Inverness, 4-0 Dundee Utd and now 3-0 to St Johnstone despite us enjoying some relatively good times in this period. One such result in isolation hints at a bad day at the office. A series of results suggests there is clearly something wrong somewhere.

The debate last week was of the mentality of the team when facing the Old Firm, I think in view of these not irregular hidings where we seem to just capitulate at certain point in the game, that could also applied to some of these games also.

The point was always going to come sooner or later where our mettle would be tested when we went a goal behind to a fellow diddy team. We did not respond at all well today and that has to be addressed in conjunction with the manager being a bit more pro-active in changing formation and/or personnel when things aren't going our way.

In the short term I hope a desire to set things straight/kick up the arse/wake up call will have the necessary impact to see us past Hibs and Aberdeen. Longer term the mental side of the team has to be worked upon or the manager has to look to bring in a player(s) who has that mentally already instilled within them to drag the team kicking and screaming when the need arises. That bit I suspect is more easily said than done though!

too many key people at Motherwell believe and preach that the first goal is critical

It shouldn't be the case Iain but it is. The way the squad has been built means that we're suited to counterattacking. However if we have to lay siege to a large, well organised robust defence we haven't a clue as was borne out yetserday. We can't even resort to old fashioned route 1 tactics with any success. Many knew Saints would be hard to break down. Give them a goal of a start as we did and that allows them to defend. Score first and they have to open out come at us and thats where Murphy/Humphrey/Daley/Lawless come into their own.

Worryingly other provincial teams will be studying our failings and so we can expect much more of the same at Fir Park.

We're a limited one trick pony.

I agreed with most of the post on this thread and I could not believe the lack of reaction to St Johnston's first goal, the team trudged to their kick off positions as if they had lost a goal in the last minute of extra time

• Like 1

This place after a defeat is hilarious. After every single defeat as well :lol:

tumblr_lq5oxk7TWl1qanb21o1_400.gif

Thank you for you're thought provoking reply its so much better than cherry picking parts of others posts and then quoting them to make a witty point :doh: . I'm so glad you took the time to read my post which was an observation about the team rather than a knee jerk reaction to a defeat ( I would take the time to quote it but i don't try to score cheap points) as it was a win against Dunfermline that got me thinking most about it.

• Like 1

Think lasley put the fight back in the team tonight.

Lasley and Jennings when there on there game are priceless in our midfield. There brilliant to watch for work rate and tackling alone.

Sadly Jennings form is honking at the moment. A spot on the bench might be what he needs right now, til he shifts some weight and gets his head right. Because right now he looks slow and distracted...

Yeah he might be needing a spell on the bench but who will replace him?

Dunno if I dare to say in on here but Forbes?

As I see it we have two options.

Daley Lasley Law Humphrey

or

Law Forbes Lasley Humphrey

I'd rather go with either of those two combinations than with Jennings in his current form...

Dont want to jump on the anti jennings band wagon but he needs some time off to recharge. As for Murphy id drop him too he looks spent and burned out far from the player he was last season but who will replace him? The 11 sacred cows. Mccall wated a reaction and got it but it wasnt good enough defend a lead with 5 mins to go ffs. Either tactics wrong or players not performing there designated roles and costing us the win.

McCall says

"O'Connor is an International striker and he showed what he was capable of," he continued. "But an individual error shot us in the foot just like Saturday, and if we want to win games we need to cut those out."

So drop the fookin player.