If Carlsberg Did Football Fans...

David

Seriously? You don't think encouraging someone helps them more than giving them abuse? :blink:

Not really in football no.If a player's getting abuse it should encourage them to do better and shut them up.Trying to get behind a player who's having a shocker is unlikely to make much difference imo.

Some of the abuse from the East Stand has been going on for years. In Butcher's time the abuse levelled at Shaun Fagan was nothing less than shocking. Never a player who merited the shirt, in my opinion, but we should still back who is on the park.

Saying that, the East Stand is one of the best places in the world for banter and atmosphere. Close to the pitch and a hardcore of passionate fans, unlike the muppets that spend - who knows how many grand - for Ibrox and Parkhead to sit half a mile from the pitch.

I've always thought the family stand was a bit like a morgue the few times I've sat there. I know I may get slaughtered for that comment.

anyone see the incident between 3 oldish fans in the second last section of the east and craigan?

they went mad at mcCall for subbing off humphrey and then even more mad when murphy got subbed calling mccall a wank a fair few times which craggs took exception too and told him to calm down. Then at the end of the game craggs comes straight over to the 3 guys and gives them a big giruy and a hug.

Moan the craggs

Saying that, the East Stand is one of the best places in the world for banter and atmosphere. Close to the pitch and a hardcore of passionate fans, unlike the muppets that spend - who knows how many grand - for Ibrox and Parkhead to sit half a mile from the pitch.

And that's the thing with the East Stand.

Harnessed in the right way the East Stand can really be that "twelfth man" for us. Witness the way Broadfoot and McLaren have gone to pieces in front of it and how the likes of McGeady have reacted. Look how often the players and management have been quoted as saying how much a positive atmosphere coming from it helps the team.

But it can go the other way too. Craigan's not the first to remonstrate with supporters in there. I remember Stevie Kirk and Brian Martin to name but two responding in kind.

Have a go back at someone giving stick by all means if that's how you feel, but if you don't fancy a potential confrontation just give the recipient of the stick as much vocal encouragement the next time there in your area.

anyone see the incident between 3 oldish fans in the second last section of the east and craigan?

they went mad at mcCall for subbing off humphrey and then even more mad when murphy got subbed calling mccall a wank a fair few times which craggs took exception too and told him to calm down. Then at the end of the game craggs comes straight over to the 3 guys and gives them a big giruy and a hug.

Moan the craggs

I wisnae there, but I can bet I know exactly who they are. The numpties do nothing but abuse who they dont like (Higdon in particular).

Just got home from the Aberdeen game, and have to say that I'm seriously getting sick & tired with the moaning-faced c*nts that sit in the east stand.

I've heard the much-used "greatest fans in the world" slogan that Celtic fans like to throw around when talking about themselves, but I'm really starting to wonder if we should be branding certain sections of our support as the exact opposite.

In fact, the use of the word support perhaps shouldn't apply to these people. If we look up the term in the dictionary it reads as follows;

Now, entry number five is what should apply at Motherwell games, but going by recent reactions to the likes of Tim Clancy, Chris Humphrey, Stephen Craigan & Michael Higdon I think the last thing these people can call themselves is supporters.

It's no secret that the last few games haven't been our best. The above-mentioned players haven't exactly been firing on all cylinders (especially Higdon & Craigan). This is where the paying punter in the crowd comes into his own, right? When the players aren't on top of their game we step in and offer support (there's that word again) and encouragement to get them back on track?

Do we f*ck. If a player has the sheer audacity to play a couple of stinkers we get right on their cases.

Take today, for example. The ball gets played to Higdon after 4 minutes and he chests it down, turns and misplaces a pass. Uproar from the "fans" in the middle of the east stand.

The tone was set for the rest of the match right there & then.

It also appears that the team have the sheer cheek to retain possession when we have the ball. If there isn't a pass on going forward they do the unthinkable and play the ball backwards, looking to reset and move forward again.

A fucking disgrace!

Get it lumped forward so we can all moan like fuck when Higdon either doesn't jump for it or mis-controls it after taking it down!

One incident at around the 75th minute summed things up for me when Hately played the ball down the flank looking for Daley, only for the pass to get intercepted. The middle section of the east rose and fired the kind of abuse that should be reserved for a near-side throw in by Kyle Lafferty or Scott Brown.

Hately turned to the crowd with a look on his face like "what the fuck?!? Aren't you guys supposed to be supporting us?!?!"

If it wasn't for the boys up the far end of the stand I think the team would be hard pressed to get any support from the east.

If this is how we react when we're sitting 3rd in the table, four points clear of Hearts and two behind Celtic I'd hate to see us if we were fighting relegation.

Fucking disgraceful.

Havent read this whole thread as yet, however the originator is spot on. Some of the guys that sit in the East Stand should be ashamed of themselves, supporters my arse! . FFS if you need to shout abuse direct it at the opposition or the ref. Understand we all get frustrated at times and shout the odd thing that in hindsight we regret but berating a player for 90 mins (i.e Higdon yesterday and Craigan/Humphrey at times) is NOT going to help them! Wake up!

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Truth be told, I'm on these boards less and less these days and at Fir Perk less and less, and the main reason for that is the utter negativity that a percentage of our fans have.

You come on here and read some proper shite at times and it annoys me to the point that I don't want to read it and actively avoid it.

As for Fir Park itself, I used to love going to games sitting in the East Stand and soaking up what was a brilliant atmosphere. However, over the last few years some of the things you hear are just pathetic. Yeah work committments and financial restraits stop me going as well, but I don't miss it half as much as I used to a few years back when I couldn't make a game. Now I'm very indiffrent.

Yeah, I appreciate that at times players can be frustrating and poor, but some folk need to know where to draw the line! Through my time as a fan we've had guys like Eddie May, Andy Roddie, Derek Adams, Paul Harvey, Derek Townsley, Marc Fitzpatrick, etc who I thought were poor players for us....but on no occassion did I go out my way to boo or shout abuse at them! And when these guys did put in a good display I was first to give them all the credit they were due.

Thats what being a supporter is. And all this stuff with Higdon strikes me as a bit of deja-vu. Wasn't the Juke a target of the boo boys?! Also remember Clarky and Quinn getting a tough time of it at one point or another.

Fact is, as a supporter you are supposed to back the team, win lose or draw. Yeah you can be royally pissed off with players after a pish performance, but to boo them?!

From what I've read on here, Higdon made a bad pass 4mins into the game and the floodgates opened. Imagine if he got a bit of encouragement, maybe he would have raised his game a bit! Surely there can be nothing worse for a player than having your own fans on your back from the off - does bugger all for their confindence, and its a given that happier players play better.

Think some "fans" need to have a long look at themselves and think about what supporting Motherwell is about - a small community club that has consistently punched above its weight, If they can't lose that negative attitude their is no place for your at Fir Park IMO!

Doubt anything will change though.

• Like 2

Do you know what has royally fucked Motherwell? Seating.

Days gone by you had the choir, right on half way, mostly bouncing, supporting the team, winding up the opposition fans at the cage, your dissenting voices were scattered far and wide, and if you happened to be next to a zoomer, you walked away and stood somewhere else.

There are bangers in every section of Fir Park and yes we are supported by some arseholes, every team has them, just right now seating favours negativity.

Mild success has raised expectation too far.

• Like 4

Absolutely spot on. We are enjoying a sustained period of relative success on the pitch that in years to come I am sure we will look back on fondly.

Also agreed. What concerns me though is that to look back on things fondly kind of suggests not being at that previous level at that specific time. When our time comes for an 'Aberdeen season' I think some will likely explode with rage and hatred.

Couldn't agree more with the OP.

Truth be told, I'm on these boards less and less these days and at Fir Perk less and less, and the main reason for that is the utter negativity that a percentage of our fans have.

You come on here and read some proper shite at times and it annoys me to the point that I don't want to read it and actively avoid it.

As for Fir Park itself, I used to love going to games sitting in the East Stand and soaking up what was a brilliant atmosphere. However, over the last few years some of the things you hear are just pathetic. Yeah work committments and financial restraits stop me going as well, but I don't miss it half as much as I used to a few years back when I couldn't make a game. Now I'm very indiffrent.

Yeah, I appreciate that at times players can be frustrating and poor, but some folk need to know where to draw the line! Through my time as a fan we've had guys like Eddie May, Andy Roddie, Derek Adams, Paul Harvey, Derek Townsley, Marc Fitzpatrick, etc who I thought were poor players for us....but on no occassion did I go out my way to boo or shout abuse at them! And when these guys did put in a good display I was first to give them all the credit they were due.

Thats what being a supporter is. And all this stuff with Higdon strikes me as a bit of deja-vu. Wasn't the Juke a target of the boo boys?! Also remember Clarky and Quinn getting a tough time of it at one point or another.

Fact is, as a supporter you are supposed to back the team, win lose or draw. Yeah you can be royally pissed off with players after a pish performance, but to boo them?!

From what I've read on here, Higdon made a bad pass 4mins into the game and the floodgates opened. Imagine if he got a bit of encouragement, maybe he would have raised his game a bit! Surely there can be nothing worse for a player than having your own fans on your back from the off - does bugger all for their confindence, and its a given that happier players play better.

Think some "fans" need to have a long look at themselves and think about what supporting Motherwell is about - a small community club that has consistently punched above its weight, If they can't lose that negative attitude their is no place for your at Fir Park IMO!

Doubt anything will change though.

This is a great post. We're sitting 3rd in the League, some of the players are having the inevitable dip in form (human nature) and yet we still won on Saturday. Give the players a bit of slack, they want to win as much, if not MORE than we want them to win.

The atmosphere at games isn't what it used to be (although the boys at the end are doing their best), in fact it's down right rubbish. My favourite game of last season was the Dundee Utd cup replay. In fact that could be in my "top games ever" in terms of performance also, but also because the atmosphere was great. I thought Saturdays atmosphere was kinda weird, and not in a good way. Perhaps the crowd were all still a bit miffed at the awful performance against St Johnstone the previous Saturday? And were still smarting from the Hibs game during the week? (which you could also argue we didn't technically lose?) It was a shit game on Saturday and we didn't play well, but we won, got it up Auld Judas and are sitting 4 points clear in 3rd so surely we should be absolutely bloody delighted at how thing are progressing? Apparently not...

I think the Higdon and Jutkiewicz comparisons are way of the mark. The Juke may have took 3,4, 5, even 6 games to settle but after that it was pretty clear we had a player on our hands. Higdon is going to divide a lot of fans I think/fear. I don't think it's too excessive to shout or exclaim in frustration "oh for fuck sake" when a player makes an arse of what appears to be an easy pass etc..

Anyway, I quite often shout "C'mon the 'Well" or "Heads up" or encourage a Motherwell player who may be taking a throw in near us. I also have been known to utter "For Fuck Sake Motherwell" from time to time I admit and I miss singing and/or giving absolute dogs abuse to the opposition but most people around me sit in complete silence.

I do fear what the crowd may become like though if we do go on a really wretched run. We are, and have been, living in pretty good times, and for a quite a few seasons now.

• Like 1