Keith Lasley - Is He Having His Best Season So Far?

David

McCall has definitely encouraged Lasley to go forward more often, although I think that has caused as many problems as its solved on occasions.

However Las has been a great player for us down the years going back as far as the Butcher years. I don't think he'd quite make it into my all time Motherwell XI but he'd definitely be very close, if not actually in, my 22 man squad.

Great attitude and an under-rated footballer.

• 4 months later...

With the season a few months further along than it was when I started this thread I think the question still stands.

I found this article from the Scotsman dated March 14th 2004. It's good to look back on an article almost eight years old and still see him doing the business for the club, arguably better than he's ever been.

Where do you place Keith Lasley? He is one of countless Motherwell youngsters forging a career at Fir Park, but there is another view.

When manager Terry Butcher talks of "the senior lads" leading by example and exerting an important influence on the remainder of the team, he is referring to captain Scott Leitch, 34, Derek Adams, 28, and to 24-year-old Lasley. It is Lasley who seems to have a foot in both camps, to straddle two ages: he is a young man with an older head screwed on top.

"I don’t know where I am," Lasley laughs inside Fir Park after training. "I think I’m in between. I’m not one of the old ones, and I am not one of the young ones. I get a bit of stick in the dressing-room when the press call me a young one. I’m reminded that I’m 24 quite quickly, but I’m happy for people to think that I’m one of the youngsters."

Lasley made his Motherwell debut in December 2000 at Ibrox in a 2-0 defeat. Andy Goram was in the Motherwell goal, and John Spencer was on the bench. Billy Davies was the manager, and Lasley has also worked under Eric Black, and now Butcher. Motherwell life has altered irrevocably, and is unrecognisable from the one that the player once knew.

"It’s totally changed days," he reflects, sounding like a veteran, but offsetting the tone with fresh enthusiasm. "Some people might say it is better now with young Scottish boys coming through, that it is the way forward. I’m sure it’s the way that Motherwell will be for the next few years anyway, bringing through our own talent and getting experienced players from elsewhere."

It remains to be seen if Lasley will be elsewhere or still with Motherwell, for his contract is up at the end of the season. Other clubs have shown interest in the past, but the midfielder shrugs this off. The contracts of Leitch and Adams, among others, also run to the summer, and Butcher has made it clear that new deals will depend on finance and on Wells league placing, which is fine by Lasley. "I’ve not signed anything yet here," he reveals. "I have to play every week, and hopefully my performances will merit something contract-wise."

Does he not lust after the kind of move that propelled James McFadden to Everton and Stephen Pearson to Celtic? "I think everybody has a chance. I don’t think age is a barrier. Some people have been quite late in their careers, and they’ve had a big move, but if you’re not doing it on the park you’re not going to get anything. It’s flattering when clubs are interested in you, but you don’t know what’s true and what’s not true."

What is true is that Motherwell fans appreciate Lasley, who has missed only one game this season through injury, and who recently made his 100th appearance for the club. Supporters have also been highly impressed with defender Stephen Craigan since he joined from Partick Thistle last summer, and some would have him as player of the year thus far. David Clarkson has illuminated matches too, but there are those who would forward Lasley as candidate for recognition.

Pearson, his former team-mate, was certainly in the limelight on Thursday night against Barcelona, and Lasley is pleased for a friend with whom he has maintained contact since his transfer to Celtic. Some of the Motherwell players had been on to Pearson about bagging tickets for the Barca game, and it will be rather strange today when they come up against him on the pitch. The most recent time Motherwell played Celtic, Pearson was wearing the colours of the Lanarkshire club.

"He seems to have settled in really well," says Lasley. "I just hope that on Sunday he takes it easy. It’s been no surprise to me personally. It was a big change in his life going to a club of Celtic’s stature, but he seems to be taking it in his stride.

"It probably will feel strange at first having been team-mates for so long [Pearson made his Motherwell debut as a substitute for Lasley against Hibernian in March 2001] but you move on, and he will want to win the points for Celtic. It will be nice to see him before the whistle goes, right enough."

Motherwell last won at Celtic Park in October 1999, and almost three years have passed since Celtic lost at home in the league. When Motherwell went there in September last year, they held Celtic until half-time, but lost 3-0.

This season Celtic have been imperious at home, and only once, against Dundee United last month, have they failed to mark up three home goals in the Premierleague.

Lasley observes: "They have an incredible record there, but what do you do? We have to believe in ourselves, though we’re not kidding ourselves on. Celtic are a fantastic team, and we are going to be severe underdogs.

"But apart from our Scottish Cup defeat, we’ve had good results and decent performances, so we have to take confidence from that, and try and cause Celtic problems. We have to be strong at the back, which we have been. We need to be disciplined, and when we get the ball, try to express ourselves."

The only expression after last weekend’s Scottish Cup quarter-final exit at the hands of Inverness Caley Thistle was disappointment for Motherwell. Unable to replicate the success of reaching a Hampden semi-final last year, at least their league position has altered greatly, and offers some cheer.

They finished bottom last season, and before this one started Butcher asked players to write down where they thought the team could finish. Lasley chose the top six, and they are on course to fulfil a prediction shared by many team-mates.

Motherwell have won their past five home games to reach fifth place, and now have Dunfermline in their sights. Butcher was named manager of the month for February, and if the coming weeks are good for Motherwell, they could yet celebrate a worthwhile season, though they have some tough games before the split, including Hearts and Rangers.

"If the cup defeat was disappointing, we are taking heart from where we are in the league," says Lasley. "We have something to fight for, and we can consolidate and push up even further.

"I think a lot of people were thinking survival first this season for Motherwell, but after last season who could blame them? But within the dressing-room we knew - even when Faddy and that were here, they always said there were other good players in this team.

"We thought we could do something this year, and in a way it’s maybe helped that people didn’t really expect anything of us. I think we are where we deserve to be at the moment, but it’s up to us to stay in the top six. It would be a major disappointment now not to make it."

Keith Lasley is intent on sustaining his form, and on making it. For a 24-year-old veteran, he still has many years of football ahead of him.

Las is in the form of his life by far the best season he'll ever have had! But an ther is a but if Jennings wasn't along side him I don't think he would be the same player, all I ever here is Jennings shouting to las get in the box while he sits an takes care of ye defensive side of things! In tha we have the most perfect partnership.

Las is in the form of his life by far the best season he'll ever have had! But an ther is a but if Jennings wasn't along side him I don't think he would be the same player, all I ever here is Jennings shouting to las get in the box while he sits an takes care of ye defensive side of things! In tha we have the most perfect partnership.

Don't agree with this. Lasley has been a great player for us throughout his career at Motherwell - Jennings or no Jennings.

They have a good partnership and anything good should be greater than the sum of the parts but Lasley has always been a great wee player. He's definitely one of the best midfielders at the club in my time as a supporter and that's based on a career starting back to 2000 or so.

As for his more attacking role this season, he played a similar role in his first spell at the club so it's not so much something new to his game, more going back to the old days.

Has it been confirmed how long he's been suspended for?

Its been suggested to me today from someone who knows the family that he's going to miss two games

I thought it was for the next two games;

Hibs at home and Celtic away.

Might be wrong though and it could be Dunfermline on 3rd March he misses.

Don't agree with this. Lasley has been a great player for us throughout his career at Motherwell - Jennings or no Jennings.

They have a good partnership and anything good should be greater than the sum of the parts but Lasley has always been a great wee player. He's definitely one of the best midfielders at the club in my time as a supporter and that's based on a career starting back to 2000 or so.

As for his more attacking role this season, he played a similar role in his first spell at the club so it's not so much something new to his game, more going back to the old days.

Have to disagree with this, although I do think they complement each other very well.

Lasley has been in great form since day one this season and while Jennings is at the top of his game now, it took him until October to find it.

I thought it was for the next two games;

Hibs at home and Celtic away.

Might be wrong though and it could be Dunfermline on 3rd March he misses.

I think he was one yellow card away from a ban before the Hearts game, so if that's the case a 2 match ban would be right. Not that he should have been sent off like ...

While I agree that some overstate Lasley's abilities, I don't think it's possible to overstate his importance to our team in terms of the way we play. Both he and Jennings are excellent as a base for others to play from. Their presence allows Hammell and Hateley scope to get forward. There are midfielders in the SPL with more ability than both but few with the same awareness of and commitment to their job for the team. We'll notice how much he contributes while he's suspended.

In terms of Lasley's ability, he's our Dado Prso. Not outstanding at any part of his role but good at all aspects...

While I agree that some overstate Lasley's abilities, I don't think it's possible to overstate his importance to our team in terms of the way we play. Both he and Jennings are excellent as a base for others to play from. Their presence allows Hammell and Hateley scope to get forward. There are midfielders in the SPL with more ability than both but few with the same awareness of and commitment to their job for the team. We'll notice how much he contributes while he's suspended.

In terms of Lasley's ability, he's our Dado Prso. Not outstanding at any part of his role but good at all aspects...

Aye Dado was a dude

Hes missing two games, whats the situation with the bookings that he mentions 5yellows? Is he due another ban at 6? If so, considering the situation with rangers, potential for 2nd place and or champs league qualification, him& mccall need to be clever& plan when to get the next ban. Same with jenno&probably hutch. Got some big games coming up!!

Hes missing two games, whats the situation with the bookings that he mentions 5yellows? Is he due another ban at 6? If so, considering the situation with rangers, potential for 2nd place and or champs league qualification, him& mccall need to be clever& plan when to get the next ban. Same with jenno&probably hutch. Got some big games coming up!!

they could have been clever on saturday, got one booking and missed the game at parkhead. he'll probably end up getting booked at parkhead now and missing the aberdeen league game as well well. you can say he was unlucky with the second one but the first one was idiotic.

hutchy, jenno and clancy are all one booking away from a suspension. clancy will be suspended by the end of the week guaranteed.

I think he gets auto 1 game ban and so misses the Hibs game. Thats because of 2 yellows in 1 game.

His 2 yellows takes himover 18 points So i Believe he misses a game for that also. However, that suspension takes effect 14 days after the date of the incident which would be March 3rd. So he should miss the Dunfermline game.

So we should have Keith for Celtic game and both Aberdeen games. Then he will not be suspended again till he reaches 18 points again.

Google "sfa disciplinary procedures"

I say 1 game for reaching 18 points but apparently they also take last season into account so if he got suspended last season for 18 points then it will be a 2 game ban and so would miss aberdeen game as well. The suspension doe not apply to the scottish cup.

3.7.2 On accumulating 18 penalty points in a League competition, a player will automatically incur a suspension for a number of matches, starting with one match for his first 18 penalty points, and increasing by one match for each successive 18 points accumulation, within a two season period. In effect, a player's record over the current season and the immediately preceding season will be taken into account.

after doing some digging

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/squad/_/id/266/season/2010/league/all/motherwell?cc=5901

looks like he had 7 yellows in the SPL last year so if i am reading the SPL disciplinary procedures correctly I think that incurs a 2 match ban ( over and above the automatic 1 game ) and so misses Dunfermline and Aberdeen games in the SPL.

Suspensions are applied based on penalty points not necessarily 6 yellows.

Sent off is always an auto 1 game ban.

Suspensions are applied at 18 point intervals. points accumulated per section 7 below.

So Clancy has 5 yellows but he also has 1 red. so I am thinking that his points tally is 27 [12 + (5 x 3 )] next suspension point is 36 points, So I think he needs another 3 yellows before he would be suspended.

I think if Jenno gets another yellow he misses 3 games. ( they take last season into account also for number of times you reached an 18 point mark. Jenno reached it twice)

If Hutch gets another yellow should just miss 1 game.

Section 7

Schedule of Penalty Points

Sending Off Offences

A1 Serious Foul Play

12 penalty points (plus an automatic one match suspension)

A2 Violent Conduct

12 penalty points (plus an automatic one match suspension)

A3 Spitting at an Opponent or Any Other Person

12 penalty points (plus an automatic two match suspension)

A4 Denying the Opposing Team or an Opponent a goal or an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity as Defined by Law 12

5 penalty points (plus an automatic one match suspension)

A5 Offensive, Insulting or Abusive Language and/or Gestures

8 penalty points (plus an automatic one match suspension)

A6 Receiving a Second Caution in the Same Match

The penalty points recorded will be the combined total for the two cautionable offences (plus an automatic one match suspension)

Cautionable Offences

Penalty Points

B1 Unsporting Behaviour

a) Obstruction involving bodily contact 2

b) Deliberately tripping 3

c) Recklessly dangerous play 3

d) Deliberately playing an opponent's leg or legs 3

e) Adopting a threatening and/or aggressive attitude 3

f) Holding or pushing an opponent 3

g) Time Wasting 3

h) Shirt pulling, etc. 3

i) Handling the ball deliberately 2

j) Feigning injury 3

k) Simulation 3

l) Action(s) deemed by the referee to be inflammatory 3

m) All other offences deemed by the referee to be unsporting behaviour 1

B2 Dissent by Word or Action 3

B3 Persistently infringing the Laws of the Game 3

B4 Delays the restart of play or fails to respect the required distance at the restart of play 1

B5 Entering or re-entering or leaving the field of play without the referee's permission 1