V Accies

Moe_Green

"What annoys me is that people don't bother to understand. They say I've done the same thing as Aiden McGeady, but the difference is he always wanted to play for Ireland. I wanted to play for Scotland but they didn't think I was good enough. Ireland did."

If you genuinely wanted to play for Scotland you wouldn't have jumped ship at such a ridiculously young age.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To claim that this is racially motivated is frightening!

As a country with a diverse mix of cultures Ireland consists of numerous races, so which race are fans insulting?

Ireland would consist of the same diverse mix of cultures as any large town or city. So will the puerile "abusing" somebody or sets of fans because they have connections with a particular region or town:

Edinburgh=HIV

Paisley = junkies

Aberdeen = sheep

East end Glasgow = unemployed

invoke the use of the same piece of shit legislation?

From Scotland on Sunday

The racist abuse of Hamilton's Republic of Ireland internationalist James McCarthy continues, but there seemed to be fewer numpties in the Motherwell section voicing their sentiments. Indeed, some home fans showed their displeasure at the unpleasantly obscene chanting – this is, after all, a family-orientated club. All the idiots did was inspire McCarthy to a fine game – will they ever learn?

So- just so everyone is clear- BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is racism.

Like in legal cases - although we all assure each other that it's not racial. It becomes difficult for the club to stand up at a hearing and convince the authorities that it isn't. Again not saying that it is - just pointing out that it might prove difficult to defend at a hearing.

Difficult to defend? When did the Irish become a 'race'?

I booed an opposition player yesterday now i am a racist bigot how did that happen? I have been going to fir park for years and heard fat,bald,gingers,justin fashanu,frank mcgarveys wife,davie dodds and a lot more gettin stick who was stickin up for these guys or was that not trendy

"What annoys me is that people don't bother to understand. They say I've done the same thing as Aiden McGeady, but the difference is he always wanted to play for Ireland. I wanted to play for Scotland but they didn't think I was good enough. Ireland did."

So because your own country doesn't think you're good enough to play international football, go and play for another country?? Many great players never got capped. What would he have done if Ireland didn't fancy him? Go looking for a granny in San Marino? I don't bother that much with international football but a cap should be an honour you get when you're good enough to play for your country. Not something to go hunting for...

I though McCarthy choose Ireland because it was his granddads dying wish? It has nothing about Scotland not wanting him. Scotland wanted him last season when he was 17! How young do you have to decide a country doesn't want ye! He really should keep the same story every time.

And if McGeady wanted to always play for Ireland why was he capped at youth level by Scotland as a Queen's Park player <_>

I heard a few folk booing Mensing and Offiong, what a racist bunch we are, eh? <_< Thats us being 'racist' to a German born Englishman and a black Englishman, as well as a pseudo-Irishman.

I booed McCarthy when he touched the ball and when he came close to where I was sitting because I think he is a wee prick. I also booed Neil Lennon, Darren Jackson, Fernando Ricksen and Mikoliuonus (sp) in the past for the same reason.

Just remembered something else from the match; when Mensing came off, don't know if anyone else clocked the way that the tannoy guy announced it, in the most sarcastic tone possible.

<_<

You just reminded me about that. A few of us were having a laugh about it!

From Scotland on Sunday

So- just so everyone is clear- BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is racism.

Nope but" your in the wrong fuckin country is "

Personally I think its all ballocks, but I did give him dogs for his tacle on coach which led to him getting booked, difference ? Football not religion/race

So because your own country doesn't think you're good enough to play international football, go and play for another country?? Many great players never got capped. What would he have done if Ireland didn't fancy him? Go looking for a granny in San Marino? I don't bother that much with international football but a cap should be an honour you get when you're good enough to play for your country. Not something to go hunting for...

What country was after giving Ged Brannan his cap??? Was it the Cayman Islands or something like that :D , he wasn't booed for that was he? :D

Nope but" your in the wrong fuckin country is "

Personally I think its all ballocks, but I did give him dogs for his tacle on coach which led to him getting booked, difference ? Football not religion/race

Ok let me ask you a question.

Imagine Spaniards, and the Spanish FA wanted Nacho Novo. Now imagine that at the tail end of last year it had been decided that he could play for Scotland because he had lived and worked here for long enough...and then he decided that was what he wanted to do. Spanish people would then probably be pretty pissed off, see him as having turned his back on his country, and anytime he went back to Spain he would be boo'd and probably told "if u want to be scottish that much, then fuck off back to scotland."

Would they be being racist?

Like in legal cases - although we all assure each other that it's not racial. It becomes difficult for the club to stand up at a hearing and convince the authorities that it isn't. Again not saying that it is - just pointing out that it might prove difficult to defend at a hearing.

Difficult to defend? When did the Irish become a 'race'?

Aye difficult to defend!

The point is all the dictionary definitions allow someone to shoe-horn what those fans do into the necessary category - like in a legal case.

It will then be left to someone within the club to argue 'theoretically' that it's not. Which is far more difficult than one or two of us saying - "hey it's not racist it's just a scotland international football thing" and less straightforward and simplistic than we would probably think.

The media love it. They love the opportunity to pounce on our club (ignoring many others). The issue had been raised before and we knew it was gonna happen again. We discussed here last week that the press would pick up on it - ignoring identical treatment from Utd and rangers fans and lo and behold.

Look at the definition of Racial Discrimination Defined by the UN and see how easy it could be for someone to 'shoe-horn' what's happening.

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life

Again - before anyone starts. What I'm doing here is explaining where the people who are currently pointing the finger at MFC are coming from and suggesting that it might be more problematic for the club to defend than many think.

A couple of things strike me about the whole thing. The media seem more disgusted by the abuse of McCarthy than they ever were over the exact same abuse that McGeady got. Is it because McCarthy plays for the cuddly Accies rather than McGeady who plays for one of the Old Firm and is somehow therefore fair game??

What country was after giving Ged Brannan his cap??? Was it the Cayman Islands or something like that :lol: , he wasn't booed for that was he? ;)

I never booed Brannan, but then again I don't boo McCarthy. I'm not a Scotland supporter and as I've said elsewhere he's more a symptom of a widespread problem in international football of looking for a cap where you can get it.

Interestingly, people are talking about stuff you can get away with football that you wouldn't get away with in the 'real world' (when has football ever been the real world). I think it's going the other way. I'm not a racist, but on Saturday at one point someone I was sitting with asked me if Sheridan was Irish or one of these Scots who plays for Ireland. The person said to me "Is Sheridan actually Irish or...?". I replied "or is he a plastic paddy? Nah, I think he's Irish". Now, I got a couple of dodgy looks for that comment. I was not making any anti-Irish comment, as I don't have a problem with them. I made the Plastic Paddy reference in the same way I would refer to Neil Sullivan as a Jockney goalkeeper. I would use these phrases to merely express my opinion of the nonsense of getting caps for other countries. But in a football stadium these days, was my comment enough to get me branded a racist? If so, football has gone mad...

A couple of things strike me about the whole thing. The media seem more disgusted by the abuse of McCarthy than they ever were over the exact same abuse that McGeady got. Is it because McCarthy plays for the cuddly Accies rather than McGeady who plays for one of the Old Firm and is somehow therefore fair game??

I never booed Brannan, but then again I don't boo McCarthy. I'm not a Scotland supporter and as I've said elsewhere he's more a symptom of a widespread problem in international football of looking for a cap where you can get it.

Interestingly, people are talking about stuff you can get away with football that you wouldn't get away with in the 'real world' (when has football ever been the real world). I think it's going the other way. I'm not a racist, but on Saturday at one point someone I was sitting with asked me if Sheridan was Irish or one of these Scots who plays for Ireland. The person said to me "Is Sheridan actually Irish or...?". I replied "or is he a plastic paddy? Nah, I think he's Irish". Now, I got a couple of dodgy looks for that comment. I was not making any anti-Irish comment, as I don't have a problem with them. I made the Plastic Paddy reference in the same way I would refer to Neil Sullivan as a Jockney goalkeeper. I would use these phrases to merely express my opinion of the nonsense of getting caps for other countries. But in a football stadium these days, was my comment enough to get me branded a racist? If so, football has gone mad...

As far as I know, Pat Bonner was one of the first to use the term Plastic Paddy in the early 90s referring to some of the Republic of Ireland team who had no idea about their national antem - so hardly racist.

What country was after giving Ged Brannan his cap??? Was it the Cayman Islands or something like that :lol: , he wasn't booed for that was he? ;)

No, he was playing for Motherwell. Is that really so difficult to understand?

We all knew McDonald was a diver when he played for us. We didn't boo him for it. But now when he does it for Celtic he's rightly called a dirty little c**t, and if he did it against us we'd be booing the fatty all the way back to Glasgow.

Pulling up football fans for being hypocritical is a bit of a silly exercise. It's in the nature of fans to look after their own and hound the opposition - especially if there's a ready made reason to hound them.