The Well Society

stuwell

Hmm. I certainly don't like the tone of his comments there...

I am one of the DD payers but if I wasn't that wouldn't especially encourage me to sign up I don't think.

It comes across very much from that article that he is more concerned about getting his money back than the future of the club. Which is the opposite from what I thought originally - even though he was very clear it was a loan from the outset.

Hmm. I certainly don't like the tone of his comments there...

I am one of the DD payers but if I wasn't that wouldn't especially encourage me to sign up I don't think.

It comes across very much from that article that he is more concerned about getting his money back than the future of the club. Which is the opposite from what I thought originally - even though he was very clear it was a loan from the outset.

Agree 100%. I'm a DD payer also but that article makes him come across very poorly.

I wouldn't believe any stories, quotes or information that comes from that particular rag.

The man himself has spoken mamy times to fans (and MFC TV) where it's more difficult to twist words, misquote or take things out of context.

I don't think the Well Society is going to hit its required target. I know we don't have a massive fanbase but I still would've liked to have thought that 2,000 members paying in £10 a month would be more than possible.

Really disappointing. £10 a month for something you love isn't a lot. Especially if you're working.

Said from day 1 the society wouldn't work. We simply don't have the appetite or numbers. It's also been proven that we don't have the collective business nous or leadership within our fan base to drive and sustain such a business model.

Then comes along Les the saviour who'll steer the society down a professional path. Sadly he's proven to be deluded and arrogant with regards fan ownership with his vision of the 'community' stuck in the 1980s. Sooner we move on and start living within our means, the better.

Unfortunately we're likely to end up in more trouble than we were in a year ago with multiple loans to be paid back to our billionaire philanthropist. Loans partly accumulated to cover the wages of a range of unnecessary appointments that us fans had no input too.

• Like 3

Agree 100%. I'm a DD payer also but that article makes him come across very poorly.

Just that article?

From the first moment I spoke to him he came across terribly. His threatening tone in everything he says is wearing pretty thin.

I am all for the society as I think it is the only way forward, unfortunately I reckon it won't be at this (playing) level.

If Les and the board are serious they need to do something to encourage folk into joining, the society seems to have come to a point where those who were willing to sign up out of loyalty/blind faith/love of the club, whatever you wanna call it, those folk have dried up. They now need to start doing things to entice those who are not members and these kind of threats are going to convince anyone.

This guy was kind enough to offer to help and I really do appreciate that, he doesn't give a fuck though.

Agree the tone of the article could be a bit more positive and encouraging . However this is the reality that we face . We have our destiny in our own hands right now . We either grab it by giving the club £10/month (the equivalent of one cup of coffee a week) or we don't bother and accept the consequences thereafter . Simple choice . Having watched us all my days I know where I want my club to play and be in Scottish football . It's make ur mind up time now guys but don't think there's many other Les Hutchisons out there who will give us this opportunity again . Personally I think we need to make the effort to make sure this works if Motherwell FC

The major problem with the WS and the concept of fan ownership since day 1 is our limited fan base, the target is 2000 members so on this figure 2000 @£10 a month is £240k a year is this enough to run the club, even with all the other revenue streams added I think not.

If we had the fanbase of Hearts, His, Aberdeen etc then fan ownership would be feasible but at Motherwell its not. To secure the future of the club we need to live within our means, get people in charge with proven experience of running and developing a business, maximise all the revenue streams we have etc etc. Crisis loans from ex-pat tax exiles who in all reallity could not give a feck about the club and constantly seeking more money from fans who are already making significant contributions is not the way forward.

• Like 1

Hearts have been fortunate in that their fans got a real scare" stump up now or we go out of business within weeks/months". We've not been in that position so far. Don't forget too that Edinburgh is a very affluent area and to many £10/20 per month is nothing more than loose change.

I was disappointed today that despite all the pre match publicity, there didn't appear to be any Society presence in or in front of the POD Stand. If the Society is to meet its targets it has to get foot soldiers on the ground. It needs to meet fans face to face - no ifs, buts or maybes.

The major problem with the WS and the concept of fan ownership since day 1 is our limited fan base, the target is 2000 members so on this figure 2000 @£10 a month is £240k a year is this enough to run the club, even with all the other revenue streams added I think not.

If we had the fanbase of Hearts, His, Aberdeen etc then fan ownership would be feasible but at Motherwell its not. To secure the future of the club we need to live within our means, get people in charge with proven experience of running and developing a business, maximise all the revenue streams we have etc etc. Crisis loans from ex-pat tax exiles who in all reallity could not give a feck about the club and constantly seeking more money from fans who are already making significant contributions is not the way forward.

I think people need to stop second guessing LH and his perceived indifference.if he really didn't care , there would be other things the guy could invest in. I am Very grateful for his interest free loan , but if there's anyone else out there willing to do the same or even better , time for them to pipe up

I can afford a tenner a month, I know some people can't,but there must be bodies out there who could do similar, it's just a case of selling it them

It's not just his interest free loan. Les has brought a business acumen and professionalism that we had let slip in recent years.

Not that I blame the previous board - it's easy to fall into fan mode when you are running a club you support.

Now Paypal is finally on offer, I was happy to sign up for my monthly. A good first step to addressing the issues the long distance and overseas members face. Hopefully broadcasting, or at least recording, society meetings will be next.

Can anyone clarify the following point . Do we need 2000 adult members paying min of £10/month D/D on top of the original well society members who paid there £300 . By this I mean is the club banking on all the original members paying into the D/D scheme . The reason I ask is that a few original members are holding back on principal from paying until they see some more who are not involved so far putting there shoulder to the wheel so to speak . Personally I do both but I can also appreciate how they feel re other fans involvement or should I say lack of involvement . Also had a little chuckle after speaking to a Celtic fan this week . He said to me that they have fans who want more but board who do not match there ambitions . Seems like the opposite in our case . Strange old game !!!!!

• Like 1

Can anyone clarify the following point . Do we need 2000 adult members paying min of £10/month D/D on top of the original well society members who paid there £300 . By this I mean is the club banking on all the original members paying into the D/D scheme . The reason I ask is that a few original members are holding back on principal from paying until they see some more who are not involved so far putting there shoulder to the wheel so to speak .

A good point and one which the Society needs to clarify. The members need to be kept informed.

This dd deal. Is it £10 a month until you hit the £300 or are they expecting punters to pay it in perpetuity?

I'm sure they'd like people to pay it indefinitely-- "the main reason for the change is the need to raise regular income" -- but you can stop whenever you like without losing your membership. You unlock more benefits beyond £300, though, if you care about that sort of thing: http://motherwellfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Well-Society-Revised-Benefits.pdf

No. The two-pronged target is still there, well as far as I understand it. The first is to seek 2000 adult members to demonstrate there is a will for fan ownership. The second is the accumulation of funds so you have a kitty always there should there be a season or two where things don't go as well as planned.

The club have ofcourse dipped into that kitty and been loaned money pretty much since the word go. I read that the WS is a failure and will never work but I would argue the very fact there have been sufficient funds raised to enable the WS to assist in this way is an achievement in itself.

It's obviously more difficult to make the pitch now with a billionaire pulling the strings but the WS should have been much more blunt, much clearer and much much louder on the financial assistance and help they gave the club.

I reckon for many simply being able to assist the club in a time of great need is as much a draw than having an apparent greater say in its overall running.

• Like 1

I read that the WS is a failure and will never work but I would argue the very fact there have been sufficient funds raised to enable the WS to assist in this way is an achievement in itself.

Absolutely Andy. Imperfect though it is, had it not been for the Society, the club would already have gone into administration. End of.

As far as the maths goes, if 2000 adult members pay 10 quid a month for 3 years, then thar generates 720k (plus any interest if that is permitted). So adding that to the initial amount raised would appear to push over the 1 million required to pay back the loan.

As others have said, you can stop at any time and still keep your membership. I think the underlying idea came from Hearts scheme where you can continue to pay and increase the sum available to the club for future interest free loans.

It's not a bad model if you can afford it.

WS leaflets handed out to everybody entering East stand

Not wishing to be too negative over the leaflet yesterday, but.....from memory, it didn't seem to concentrate on the main selling points and as a result didn't encourage me to go out and join immediately.

I only found out about the £10 per month DD option via this site. This should have been emblazoned across the front. Also, it appeared to be written from a negative standpont ' join to prevent the possibility of the dreaded playoff' or words to that effect. Why not ' join and allow MFC to prosper as an SPFL club'

I'm no PR expert, but didn't think it worked as a PR exercise

• Like 1