Motherwell Vs Aberdeen Cup Game Discussion Thread

David

Because we were totally outnumbered in midfield and we didn't have anyone on the bench to rectify it.

Didnt need to. Shouldve changed it at half time as Jenno and Las were getting overun.

Hook Murphy for Humphrey, withdraw Ojamma to left mid and move Law into centre. Wouldve allowed us to match them up in midfield and maybe Las wouldnt have lost it and committed that crazy lunge.

Simples!

One of those days when we had built up expectation only for it all to crumble beneath us! I myself had a nagging doubt about this game all week, but still felt that if we played well we'd be okay. We didn't and we weren't, hence our exit from the cup!

The decision for the corner for me was a lot bigger than is being made out. yes we could've defended it better, but Thomson MUST have known by everyone's reaction, including the Dons players heading back expecting a goal kick, that it was a bad call. He could've done what refs do week in week out and gave us a free kick to alleviate any controversy, but he chose not to. Apparently McCall said that to him and was told that he couldn't just make up a foul!!! It seems fine to do that every other week, why not for us?!!!

That goal and the circumstances gave the Dons the platform to dominate, although the nalty for me would've changed the game had we scored it. Not the greatest nalty ever taken but it was a decent save too, one of those things.

The red card was spot on, as the tackle was horribly mis-timed. For me it wasn't deliberate or malicious, but the nature of it makes it a sending off all day long.

Disappointed with a few of our lads who were off colour, but with all the suspensions we have for next Saturday I don't foresee many other unforced alterations.

It is a sore one to take, but if it means we get a reaction and we clinch 3rd place AT LEAST then fair dos.

Another note on Thompson's performance yesterday, he was not going to give that penalty until the crowd claimed it, then he pointed. Seemed to wait an eternity before making the award, never saw a ref seemingly swayed like that at Fir Park for a long time.

Another note on Thompson's performance yesterday, he was not going to give that penalty until the crowd claimed it, then he pointed. Seemed to wait an eternity before making the award, never saw a ref seemingly swayed like that at Fir Park for a long time.

He was trying to make up his mind if he'd get away with not giving it until he realised SKy were there and he'd probably get found out. Fuckin' amateur jerk.

We were absolutely garbage yesterday. Brown's game plan worked to absolute perfection - they got the early goal, sat in, defended well, and left us looking completely void of ideas on how to break them down. The second goal pretty much killed it off before half-time, and obviously Lasley's blatant red card didn't help. Looked a straight red at the time and TV pictures back in the pub confirmed that. We were reduced to Clancy and Page showing what they've learned from 'The Craigan Guide to Distribution', hammering aimless long balls up the park, and even after Law pulled a goal back, we didn't deserve to go on and earn a replay.

Anyway, if I had had to pick between winning yesterday or on Saturday, I'd take the league game by a country mile, so hopefully there's a bit of a reaction and we actually turn up this time.

and the ref,s "punishment" is to be in charge of the edinburgh derby next weekend. when, oh when, are the sfa going to do something about our, at times, sub-standard officials? :wallbash:

I get that we're all annoyed, but what exactly might the SFA do that would prevent a repeat of the mistake on Saturday? How do you teach somebody to see things? Would docking him a week's wages mean that he'd see things better next week?

24 hours later, I'm just about over yesterdays performance, or lack of.

The corner decision was a joke, yes we had a chance to defend it but we were always going to struggle with their aerial threat. Set pieces were Aberdeen's best chances to hurt us and the officials yesterday handed them one more opportunity to do so than was deserved.

I was more disappointed that we let our heads go down after that. First half, Ojamaa was running about and drawing opponents but in my view Lasley, Murphy and Law did very little in terms of showing for him and making runs to benefit from the space Henrik was making for them. If we'd scored the penalty it would have been a very different game but we still didn't create much in the final third as our flair players didn't really turn up.

Second half I think Law upped his game as we came into things more, but Lasley was still ineffective. Seemed unusually happy to sit deep and play the role Jennings usually does, and it didn't really work. I feel he should have been subbed for Humphrey but Murphy was instead- fair enough as Jamie had wasted a lot of good openings down the left wing. In the end, Lasley going off did help us get fired up, just a shame we couldn't have had eleven men hammering Aberdeen for those last 20 minutes as opposed to ten. Humphrey changed the game again but it was too little too late.

The ten men that finished the game really did put a shift in though, they all looked dejected at the end while Broon's hacker's celebrated like they'd won the cup. I know they'll bounce back as they have almost every other time this year. I was impressed with Page playing at centre-back; always been very suspect at full back but he was decent today, especially considering he wasn't in the initial squad.

Today was an off day, nothing more. In the past we get beat and end up questioning the whole team and demanding changes; the team we put out yesterday was more than good enough to beat Aberdeen. They were just stopped from playing football and couldn't perform enough to break down a more defensive team. I think they deserve one day like today after the season they've given us.

A very bad day at the office and all we can say is that the better team...just won. Aberdeen were no great great shakes but on the day they had a better defence than ours.

SM chose the wrong team and tactics and the many players had an off day. Jamie Murphy has lost his confidence and hardly beat his man all day. At Least Chris Humphrey brought a bit of spark to the proceedings. Our two full backs had a bad day and our set pieces were abysmal. Against a big side you have to accept that they'll win ball after ball in your box but the key is to prevent unnecessary crosses which our full backs didn't do and you need to get about their feet at Dougie Arnott used to do - knock them off balance, stand on their feet that kind of thing. We also played to Aberdeen's strengths by continually playing the ball in the air.

We had guys with pace but didn't use them properly and didn't use the wings.

One good thing though is the side has character and even with 10 men gave as good as we got.

We had plenty of pressure but largely failed to trouble their keeper.

What can I say about the ref - a bad call at the first goal, overly fussy and inconsistent.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

I get that we're all annoyed, but what exactly might the SFA do that would prevent a repeat of the mistake on Saturday? How do you teach somebody to see things? Would docking him a week's wages mean that he'd see things better next week?

Demoting them for such obvious incompetence would perhaps teach them a lesson and ensure they up their game. Is done down South, why not here?

Demoting them for such obvious incompetence would perhaps teach them a lesson and ensure they up their game. Is done down South, why not here?

Perhaps, but punishing somebody for incompetence isn't particularly helpful without some sort of remedial action as well, otherwise their level of competence isn't likely to improve (and their motivation is likely to slump into the bargain). And it's certainly not obvious to me what that action would be, if the aim was to avoid a repeat of the sort of thing we saw happen yesterday.

Perhaps, but punishing somebody for incompetence isn't particularly helpful without some sort of remedial action as well, otherwise their level of competence isn't likely to improve (and their motivation is likely to slump into the bargain). And it's certainly not obvious to me what that action would be, if the aim was to avoid a repeat of the sort of thing we saw happen yesterday.

Rewarding him with anotyher high profile game just says it's ok son, be shite all you want

• Like 1

SM chose the wrong team and tactics

Cant say i agree with that. The team we started with were our 11best players& have been humping teams the last few months. Yes, Aberdeen have been getting better, but i still am not convinced that our 11 wouldnt wipe the floor with aberdeen if we had bothered to turn up& caught some breaks.

Saying that, when it was obvious we werent having a good game, we shouldv had humphrey on at half time at least

Cant say i agree with that. The team we started with were our 11best players& have been humping teams the last few months. Yes, Aberdeen have been getting better, but i still am not convinced that our 11 wouldnt wipe the floor with aberdeen if we had bothered to turn up& caught some breaks.

Saying that, when it was obvious we werent having a good game, we shouldv had humphrey on at half time at least

Their 3 in midfield bossed our 2, hence we couldnt get them in the game and resorted to humping long balls.

Broon got his tactics right. McCall shouldve changed it early doors.

gutted we never started playing till keiths stupid tackle.

gutted at higgy's penalty miss (stonewaller btw)

gutted we aren't able to emulate the dundee utd side of 2 years ago and win the cup when we have such a strong team which will no doubt be decimated in the summer

just gutted

champions league fitba next season wouldn't half cheer me up tho

Watched the highlights again and the ref could have given us a free kick when Considine headed the ball back in front of the goal when they scored as he kind of pushed Clancy out of the way so Clancy couldn't get his header in, but saying that Clancy should have maybe been a little stronger and been prepared for somebody coming into attack the ball. Wasnt sure about Lasleys tackle at the time, but the highlights show ref was right to issue a red card. Lasley just getting that wee bit slow now and once has has committed himself there is no way to stop. If Fyvie still had the ball at his feet it would have been a well timed tackle to win the ball rather than taking his ankle out. Cant blame the ref for the corner. He went by what his assistant said assuming he had the better angle. Assistant still a cock though.

As for the penalty, next time let Randolph take them. :-)

I've just watched the tackle back (skipped past the rest of the highlights cause they were too painful). The commentators first instinct was yellow card, so it really can't have been that bad. I actually think it looked worse at the game, than it did in slow-mo. Really think it's ridiculous to suggest malice.