Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

I don't see McCall not picking both Clancy & Hutch if they're available. Is that fair on Page? No.

Totally fair, Page had a good game on Saturday but isn't as good as either Clancy or Hutch ,were going for either 3rd or 2nd and now isn't the time imo to start messing about with the team. I want to see the strongest possible team on the park on Saturday and that does not include Page.

Let me put it another way: if the game against Kilmarnock was a cup final, who would you pick to play in defence?

Yeah, but it isn't though. The same situation arose when we beat Aberdeen 1-0 at Fir Park earlier in the season when Bob McHugh came off the bench to score the winner. I thought that should have got him a start the following week against Dundee United, but it wasn't.

Page is a 5th pick centre half if Saunders was fit. Hutch, Clancy, Craigan are all currently ahead of him, when fit. There is NO WAY any team chasing a Champions League spot would go with a 5th choice if there was absolutely no need to. Is it hard on him? Aye, likely. Do I care? No. He's a professional, so he can feel free to use it as motivation to prove in training he ought to be better than 5th guy picked.

Yeah, but it isn't though. The same situation arose when we beat Aberdeen 1-0 at Fir Park earlier in the season when Bob McHugh came off the bench to score the winner. I thought that should have got him a start the following week against Dundee United, but it wasn't.

So if Ojamaa misses the Kilmarnock game due to a minor injury and Higdon and McHugh both score in a 2-0 win, you'd be happy for Ojamaa to sit on the bench for the next few games?

If Randolph was suspended for the Killie game and Hollis kept a clean sheet after a few cracking saves, you'd be happy for Randolph to sitting on the bench as we chase 2nd place?

• Like 1

Swallows and summers guys. Remember last year we were forced to play Hutchinson and Gunning against Celtic. They both had the game of their lives we won 2-0. Next week at Inverness they obviously believed their own hype and we got turned over 3-0 and Gunning clearly thought he was God. Benched for a few weeks, expectations managed and he turned good again. Hutchinson and Clancy have a ton more experience and need to start in my view. We also need to remember that although Page and Cummins did very well on Saturday - they were barely tested by a very poor Aberdeen team and in even in that circumstance we ended up being pushed back for long spells as the midfield retreated and the out ball vanished. Against a Kilmarnock team with the skill and experience of Harkins, Heffernan and Shiels it is a different proposition so the experience must win through. What Page and Cummins (to a lesser degree) have done is provide assurance that there is more back up there.

So if Ojamaa misses the Kilmarnock game due to a minor injury and Higdon and McHugh both score in a 2-0 win, you'd be happy for Ojamaa to sit on the bench for the next few games?

If Randolph was suspended for the Killie game and Hollis kept a clean sheet after a few cracking saves, you'd be happy for Randolph to sitting on the bench as we chase 2nd place?

I'd say that McHugh would be worth a starting slot, yes. If he hasn't done the job by mid-2nd half though Ojamaa comes back in.

If the likes of McHugh are going to be replaced regardless of how they do when asked upon, then what's the point? If they're happy being perennial benchwarmers then fine, but if they go to training every day in the hope that they can dislodge the current player in their position then find themselves dumped even when they come in and do their job then they'll become disillusioned pretty quickly.

In my opinion Page is worthy of a starting slot on Saturday. He earned it when he came in and palyed alongside a youth player making his debut, and managed to stop an Aberdeen side which put two goals past both Clancy & Hutchinson the previous weekend.

• Like 1

So every time a player has one good game they get to play the next, no matter who is available? You realise you would never play the same XI in an entire season that way?

What have Hutchison or Clancy done to deserve being dropped exactly? To turn your argument around, if either are going to be dropped due to a perennial benchwarmer having one good game, what's the point?

I'm sorry, but there's not a chance in hell I'd leave players like Randolph, Hutchison or Ojamaa out in favour of a Hollis, Page or McHugh. Not unless they'd suffered a dip in form and DESERVED to be dropped first.

So every time a player has one good game they get to play the next, no matter who is available? You realise you would never play the same XI in an entire season that way?

What have Hutchison or Clancy done to deserve being dropped exactly? To turn your argument around, if either are going to be dropped due to a perennial benchwarmer having one good game, what's the point?

I'm sorry, but there's not a chance in hell I'd leave players like Randolph, Hutchison or Ojamaa out in favour of a Hollis, Page or McHugh. Not unless they'd suffered a dip in form and DESERVED to be dropped first.

Both Clancy & Hutch were part of the team who lost to Aberdeen the week before. They didn't shower themselves in glory during the game, whilst Page and Cummins came in and held that Aberdeen attack for 90 minutes, playing a major part in us getting the win.

That has to be recognised. If it's not, then what's the point in someone like Page hanging around? Just to fill gaps as & when needed?

Personally I'd stick Page in with Hutch and leave Clancy on the bench.

what's the point in someone like Page hanging around? Just to fill gaps as & when needed?

Yes. Every team needs squad players. He's much like the likes of Fagan and Fitzpatrick before him. If he was ever going to be mroe than a squad player he would have been stuck into the first team pronto just like Reynolds and Hutchy were. Clearly a player for the bench who gets a game as and when needed.

So much argument on the best defensive line up but at the end of the day it's McCall's decision so how about we just wait & see who he chooses. We'll be behind whatever pairing he comes up with & hopefully it won't matter coz we'll be banging them in at the other end :thumbup:

So much argument on the best defensive line up but at the end of the day it's McCall's decision so how about we just wait & see who he chooses.

Seems like a pretty healthy debate to me so far, with no petty name-calling or abuse thrown, and what I thought was the whole point of these forums. I'll be happy if Page plays and we win the game and I'm sure David would be happy if Page doesn't play and we win the game.

Both Clancy & Hutch were part of the team who lost to Aberdeen the week before. They didn't shower themselves in glory during the game, whilst Page and Cummins came in and held that Aberdeen attack for 90 minutes, playing a major part in us getting the win.

That has to be recognised. If it's not, then what's the point in someone like Page hanging around? Just to fill gaps as & when needed?

Personally I'd stick Page in with Hutch and leave Clancy on the bench.

So them having ONE bad game has to be recognised - but you'd ignore SEVERAL good games that occurred before the Aberdeen game? Also, am I not right in saying Page played the majority of that game against Aberdeen? Hutch came off after 28 minutes when we were only 1-0 down. Is he not as culpable as anyone for their second goal? Does THAT not have to be recognised?

No-one is saying Page should never be allowed in the first team. I just genuinely can't compute how you think it's not fair to drop Page after playing ONE good game but have no problem dropping Hutch and Clancy who have been our defensive pairing for the run of games that took us back up challenging for 2nd place again. How is THAT fair?!

Hopefully we'll clap Killie onto the park, i.e. guard of honour, for their achievement on Sunday which was tremendous for every fan outwith the mhankies. Us wee diddy teams have to stick together against the bigot brothers from Glasgow.

Central defence is Hutch and Clancy, no thought required.

• Like 2

Hopefully we'll clap Killie onto the park, i.e. guard of honour, for their achievement on Sunday which was tremendous for every fan outwith the mhankies. Us wee diddy teams have to stick together against the bigot brothers from Glasgow.

Central defence is Hutch and Clancy, no thought required.

I remember we did that at FP in the 80s for Aberdeen...I think was their first game after the Cup Winners Cup win

Seems like a pretty healthy debate to me so far, with no petty name-calling or abuse thrown, and what I thought was the whole point of these forums. I'll be happy if Page plays and we win the game and I'm sure David would be happy if Page doesn't play and we win the game.

Exactly. I'm not going to be terribly upset if Page doesn't get the nod on Saturday, as both Clancy and Hutch are both excellent players and have done a great job this season.

With this on offer, us chasing 2nd and Killies success at the weekend, would it not be logical to reduce the gate prices to say £15/£10, get a much healthier crowd in? Am sure Killie would get a spin off all there cup winning merchandise they will bring out, make up the difference no problem!!

Just a thought like.

It worked! laugh.gif

Now for the score........3-0 `Well!!

Killie have cut the price to get in to £15.

click here!!

Well done Killie.

Hopefully get a bumper away support for this one given the timing and importance of it.

Virtually a home game for me so a no brainer. Any idea what the vibe is about how many are intending to travel?