Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

I think the League Cup success has papered over the cracks. Which is perfectly understandable. Easy route to Final but the win on Sunday was tremendous.

However, he can't have won much more than 10 league games since he became boss about a year ago and that must be close to 40 in charge. He HAS had a pretty decent budget and SHOULD have finished in the top six. His outbursts in reference to matters at other Clubs range from naive to embarrassing to obvious mind games (announced as such after they have worked that is).

In terms of mind games, he has a psychology degree, I'm not in any doubt they are intentional.

He said at start of season that it would be a rollercoaster year. It has been.

We've been tremendous at times, shocking at others but its good to watch.

We've drawn far too many games this season but I think we will be a bit more streetwise next year.

Not many teams would stick on essentially a third Striker (Heff, Shiels and Dvt) with 15 mins to go in a cup final against Celtic when it was 0-0.

I like him, my mates on here will testify to that but can see why opposing fans wouldn't.

For all his failures, you've stlll not beaten ( or scored against him) as boss.

I've slated Shiels in recent months but full credit to him.

Performances and results at Ibrox and Hampden were outstanding. Few managers could instill such belief in their players to pull off such unlikely results.

The more managers we have willing to take the big teams on, the better.

While being absolutely humped before and after it in the league. Rather keep our way of doing it given a choice.

2 Draws and 3 defeats the five league games before/after the win at Ibrox. They played Dunfermline twice and Hibs once. With United and Hearts being the other two games.

While being absolutely humped before and after it in the league. Rather keep our way of doing it given a choice.

2 Draws and 3 defeats the five league games before/after the win at Ibrox. They played Dunfermline twice and Hibs once. With United and Hearts being the other two games.

Won the two that mattered most.

Got up up Admin Fc and won cup.

Europe is amazing but not as good as Sunday was in my opinion.

As I said, you can take 500 off us tomorrow and I'll still be smiling.

Don't get me wrong I can see why he is a hero at Rugby Park. Europe or a Cup? Obviously both (you won the wrong one hee hee) but I'd rather win the/any major trophy to be honest. Even over a CL Qualifier. Some of that is due to having been in Europe (if we include the one that should be upcoming) four out of five years but mostly due to the fact we have won no trophies of significance in 20 years.

I'd rather win the League Cup than be papped out of the CL qualifying stage by a Spanish team. No contest.

I'd rather win the League Cup than be papped out of the CL qualifying stage by a Spanish team. No contest.

I agree with that, but it would be nice to play in the CL once in my lifetime. Then we can focus on cups again :P

I like Kenny Shiels. I think he is good value and adds a bit of colour to our game.

Bit mental in the Ivan Golac style, but I'd take that over the usual 'it was a game of 2halfs' pish you normally get.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. 15 mins on the bus to an away game a few beers in the Portmann and cheering the Well on into 2nd place......hopefully!

Don't get me wrong I can see why he is a hero at Rugby Park. Europe or a Cup? Obviously both (you won the wrong one hee hee) but I'd rather win the/any major trophy to be honest. Even over a CL Qualifier. Some of that is due to having been in Europe (if we include the one that should be upcoming) four out of five years but mostly due to the fact we have won no trophies of significance in 20 years.

Are you kfidding? The Champions League possibility is almost a once in a lifetime opportunity for a club like ours. League Cup, aye it'd be nice but ahead of qualifying for the CL? Not a chance and only someone with no hope of ever getting to the stage we're at just now would ever come out with a statement like that.

• Like 1

Are you kfidding? The Champions League possibility is almost a once in a lifetime opportunity for a club like ours. League Cup, aye it'd be nice but ahead of qualifying for the CL? Not a chance and only someone with no hope of ever getting to the stage we're at just now would ever come out with a statement like that.

100% agree MJ, we have won a cup before and been to a few Finals recently. The chance of playing a top team in a CL qualifier just once in my lifetime completely outweighs the poss of a cup win. ESP with how shite Scottish teams are in Europe. Likliehood of getting this chance again is extremely slim.

Seeing Motherwell playing in the Champions League would be great, but I'd swap it for a Cup win any day of the week. Winning a major trophy trumps merely playing a few qualifying rounds before getting well beaten by in all likliehood some little known side.

Our last Cup win was in 1991, twenty one years ago yet Motherwell fans still fondly remember and talk about that amazing day and the Cup run that got us there. That team is written into Motherwell folklore and will remain there until the end of time, nothing will change that. That day, 18th May 1991 is a day engraved in the memories of any Motherwell fan who was fortunate enough to be born at that time and for those who weren't they'll have been told all about it by their fathers, brothers, older peers etc. Do you really think that in 21 years time we'll still hold the Motherwell team who got gubbed 6-1 on aggregate by Racing Club Mumphus or whoever in the Champions League 2nd qualifying stage in quite the same regard?

No, winning a Cup for a club like ours would be the greatest thing that we could achieve. I'm glad that that's happened in my lifetime and if there is one thing I would love more than anything else in football would be for it to happen again.

Summed up perfectly, MJC. Football should be about WINNING trophies. That should be the be all and end all. Below qualifying for a trophy we have zero chance of success in? No way.

I'll enjoy Europe no matter which Cup we are in.....but I'd swap it for the feelings of May 1991 OR the anticipation of March 2005/May 2011 ANY day of the week.

Surely winning the SPL would be a greater event than winning one of the cups :evilgrin:

Aye :lol:

Every year though I (sometimes foolishly) believe that this will be the one where we will lift one of the two trophies we can realistically win.

In a way last Sunday has shown me that if Killie can do it...........

Surely winning the SPL would be a greater event than winning one of the cups :evilgrin:

Well realistically we're never going to win the SPL, so the Scottish Cup and/or League Cup are our best bet of silverware. For anyone outwith Celtic & Rangers, these two domestic cups present the opportunity to see your club lift a major trophy and all the enjoyment that goes with it. That's why 1991 was so special to us, why Dundee Utd milked every moment of their Cup win in 2010, and why Kilmarnock will be in party mode tomorrow, as they see their club parading a big, shiny trophy. And we'd be exactly the same in their position.

I guess for me, it comes down to us having a shot at the league & FA cup every season, whilst probably never getting another crack at the Champions League.

I doubt we'll do anything of course, but we may get lucky and land a tasty tie. Couple that with hearing the Champions League music at Fir Park (they play it for qualifiers, don't they?) I think it's really a once in a lifetime opportunity. The kind that we'll be telling our grandkids about.