18Th May 1991

SteelmaninOZ

Very much so.

But as my Brother-in Law and I were just discussing the other day - the atmosphere's between the two days - 1991 and last year were quite marked in comparison.

The party atmosphere of 91 seemed to give way to a rather sterile build up to last years final. Perhaps just because I was 20 years older, but don't think so. Look at Brandon Parade a sea of C&A and compare it with some of the SKY footage on you-tube of last year, where it looked like they struggled to find anyone in Motherwell colours.

Still didn't stop us enjoying the build-up, party with lots of alcohol, C&A (bunting and flags) music and lots of 'well songs. Great memories of both days. drinks.gif

The party atmosphere of 91 seemed to give way to a rather sterile build up to last years final. Perhaps just because I was 20 years older, but don't think so. Look at Brandon Parade a sea of C&A and compare it with some of the SKY footage on you-tube of last year, where it looked like they struggled to find anyone in Motherwell colours.

Biggest difference between the two I think is we were on a good run of results prior to '91 and we were all pretty sure we were going to pick up that trophy.

Though I had a pretty good memory of that game (although I could only watch it on tv) but I really had no recollection of those hideous shell-suits that Dundee Utd wore on the day. They deserved to lose just because of that, our tracky tops weren't great but those looked like they were on special at Shoestring.

We had 35,000+ at Hampden in 91 as opposed to 13,000 last year. Perhaps that had a lot to do with the build-up.

18th May 1991, I day I will always remember very fondly. :notworthy:

Think it was closer to 17,000 rather than 13,000 last year but there are a few things to bear in mind.

1991 was our first national cup final for decades (can you call the Summer Cup a national cup?) whereas by the time last year came around there were a number of the support looking forward to their 3rd Motherwell Cup Final. I think there was a wider feeling then that the Scottish Cup Final 1991 could have been that once in a lifetime experience so you simply had to go if you could.

There was the fact it was Dundee Utd then and Celtic last year with the ticket allocations signficantly different as a result - not to mention the price!

I remember for example we took a wee mini 16 seater or something like that to Hampden in 1991. I think on that bus at a push there 3 regular attendees at Fir Park, a couple of 2 or 3 a season types with the rest made up of mates and relatives who followed Aberdeen, Rangers and even Airdrie. At the prices the tickets were last year along with the allocations limits, even if I had wanted to bring a few mates along they simply wouldn't have entertained it at current day prices

Biggest difference between the two I think is we were on a good run of results prior to '91 and we were all pretty sure we were going to pick up that trophy.

I don't know if I'd agree about prior results having a bearing on the atmosphere on the day. I'd agree we had a much better run in in 1991 certainly, the Rangers result springs to mind obviously, but did we not lose to Hearts on the last day and get toed by Aberdeen a couple of weeks prior to that?

Confidence was certainly higher given it was a non-Old FIrm team we were facing but I'd be inclined to point to the fact that back in 1991 you could stand with large groups of friends on a terracing and move towards where the singing was coming from if you wished. Last year in contrast you were stuck to the seat you were issued with, with the restriction of only being able to sit in groups of four with family/friends because of the ticket allocation. Granted we had the singing section but the word from those guys were that tickets being taken up for that section by those who weren't that interested in singing.

But aye 18th May 1991. What a day/weekend/summer!!

A day never to be forgotten. What a day and what a team we had there, some really top quality players were on display for us that day, Davie Cooper, Phil O'Donnell, wee Dougie, Luc Nijholt, Tom Boyd and the rest. I wonder how that team would fair in the SPL of 2012, I reckon very well.

In contrast to 1991, last year's damp squib doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as it. Everything about last year's final was rotten. Even the build up was overshadowed by the fact that we were playing Celtic and we all knew deep down that we had little to no chance and all the side show with Neil Lennon in the run up to it completely dampened any little enthusiasm I had about it.

The day itself was a complete write off from start to finish and several factors made it a day to forget;

....the weather - horrible and completely fitting for what happened on the park;

....the bus fiasco, before and after the game

....the non atmosphere in the Motherwell end. Our support largely sat with their lips glued shut before and during the match and there were loads of 'daytrippers' in our end who weren't remotely interested in the game itself, especially were we were sitting.

....the performance on the park. We never even looked like we believed we could get anything from that game and it showed from the first whistle. Lasley apart, we stood off Celtic and gave them far too much respect. Even if Gunning's thunderbolt had went in and Majstorovic had been sent off it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference, we would still have lost convincingly.

I will always refer to last year as 'The Damp Squib' because that is exactly what it was.