Sky Sports Petition

Jay

I know that there's been an effort to keep all things relating to the newco situtation in the one thread, to feel free to merge this - just thought it might get better exposure on its own...

Petition: A Fair Deal From Sky

I'm not suggesting that a petition telling Sky not to penalise clubs for putting integrity ahead of profit is going to have much success. However, I also didn't think for a second that fan power would have had such an effect that we now find ourselves in a situation where a 'no' vote is all but guaranteed.

You don't ask, you don't get...

I get the sentiments of the petition but the patter sounds like it was written by a Rangers supporter.

Sky won't be 'punishing' Scottish Football.

Sky will pay a 'fair price', which will be based on what the quality of product they are buying, the demand for it and competition from other channels.

Sky are a business and owe us nothing and have every right to tear up the contract which every club agreed to.

Despite all this, considering the tiny amounts of money (comparatively speaking) involved in the renegotiation of the deal it wouldn't cost much for Sky to show themselves to be an ethically sound company who are willing to 'fund' the drive for fair sporting competitions. Could be a PR masterstroke if they showed a bit compassion under these circumstances.

I get the sentiments of the petition but the patter sounds like it was written by a Rangers supporter.

Sky won't be 'punishing' Scottish Football.

Sky will pay a 'fair price', which will be based on what the quality of product they are buying, the demand for it and competition from other channels.

Sky are a business and owe us nothing and have every right to tear up the contract which every club agreed to.

I pretty much agree with this. Why would Sky want to pay the same money for a product that isn't as attractive to a fair chunk of their viewers?

It makes no business sense whatsoever.

I pretty much agree with this. Why would Sky want to pay the same money for a product that isn't as attractive to a fair chunk of their viewers?

They'll still be broadcasting Celtic games - that will still attract the Rangers fans as they watch every Celtic game going to fuel their hatred of them.

They'll still be broadcasting Celtic games - that will still attract the Rangers fans as they watch every Celtic game going to fuel their hatred of them.

And you view that as a reason for them retaining the original terms of the deal that included two old firm clubs?

it is business sense to retain a market share and keep that market 'sweet' in order to sell all your other products to the same market

as you say the SPL product isn't that attractive to a fair chunk of sky viewers

but they trade on packages and filling air time, a number of Scottish fans may even justify their subscriptions though the inclusion of SPL football

hence SKY never wasted anytime snapping up rights the last time setanta crashed.

they also need to consider very carefully their image if teh other media were to turn on them for punishing a fair and honest sporting decision

I think pressure needs to be applied to sky (i just think that petition isn't up to it, but hope I'm wrong)

Is that the deal I keep hearing hasn't been officially signed yet? If not, then it's not an official deal.

Sky will no doubt retain the SPL as part of it's programming, but unless they've already agreed to a deal they are perfectly within their rights to renegotiate.

If I was buying a car and the side of it was scraped by a bus the night before I bought it I wouldn't expect to be paying the same amount for a lesser product. It may not be fair on the owner of the car as the damage to the product wasn't his fault, but that's business.