New Season

Dazzer

Well might as well start the disscusions on how we will set up and what we would like as fans to see.

Can we accomodate OJ,Murphy and Higdon up front! Could OJ and Murphy play up top with Higdon sat in behind?

It has always been claimed that Higdon is isolated up front on his own, and won numourous filck ons with knowone on the end of it.

Could the midfield line up like this:

Law( LASLEY) Humphrey

Higdon (Sat behind)

OJ and Murphy (Interchangable)

Let me know your thoughts and other options we have available.

Higdon has always claimed to be isolated up front on his own, and won numourous filck ons with knowone on the end of it.

Has he?

Don't get me wrong, there's no doubt that he's isolated up front on his own and, when a lone striker, his flick ons never have anyone near them, but I've never heard Michael Higdon always claiming that.

As for your line up with Higdon in behind, it's something that can work on occasion (John Sutton as a target man lying in behind the striker against Steaua, I think it was, under Gannon worked well) however, Higdon's main role is a goalscorer. If you plank him in the attacking midfield area, you largely take out his goalscoring ability.

No go for me because of that.

Randolph

Hateley --- Hutchinson --- Saunders --- Hammell

Murphy --- Carswell --- Lasley --- Law

Higdon --- Ojamaa

That would suit me just now. You could always bring Humphrey in on the right and shift Murphy onto the left and Law into the middle in place of Lasley, or something along those lines.

I share the feelings of a lot of 'Well fans that Carswell might not be ready to be a first choice pick but, to be honest, I'd be quite happy playing the team above now - with the financial difficulties in the future brought about by the Club Formerly Known As Rangers, guys like Carswell are going to be starting for us more and more.

• Like 1

As it stands why not go with:

Randolph

Saunders Hutchison Page Hammell

Hateley Law Lasley Murphy

Ojamaa Higdon

Still hopeful we'd add a centre half and centre mid to that though.

Not a bad line up, but it will most prob depend on how we get on in the friendly matches prior to the big kick off.

Issues like Hateley in midfield, Saunders at right back, Higdon and OJ up front together, Murphy OJ up front together.

I must admit the team looked good against (the club formally known as Rangers) and Murphy and OJ were extremley entertaining that day, and really should of won the game.

I think what that game highlighted was that Motherwelll are not a one dimentional team, with the lump up to Higdon.

Higdon is a good player and scored some vital goals, but as yet we have not found the ideal partner up front for him. I agree he is paid to score goals, but he can still score goals from playing off the front two.

randolph

hateley saunders hutchinson hammell

humphrey carswell lasley law

murphy ojaama

we saw the future at ibrox in may. pace and skill.

Pace and skill and no goals. That is why we need our top scorer in the team.

• Like 6

Pace and skill and no goals. That is why we need our top scorer in the team.

we were very unlucky not to score at least one goal in that game and the performance was 100xs times better than our other visits to glasgow with the top scorer playing.

when you look at the goal returns of jamie and henrik, the time they got on the park and where they played then they both out performed higdon.

• Like 1

1342030278[/url]' post='349648']

we were very unlucky not to score at least one goal in that game and the performance was 100xs times better than our other visits to glasgow with the top scorer playing.

when you look at the goal returns of jamie and henrik, the time they got on the park and where they played then they both out performed higdon.

Please, not again this season.......can you not abuse somebody else for a change?

For what it's worth, I agree with Jays team but can see McCall going with Law in the middle instead of Carswell with Humphrey starting.

• Like 3

A good shout!

randolph

hateley saunders hutchinson hammell

humphrey carswell lasley law

murphy ojaama

we saw the future at ibrox in may. pace and skill.

:drinks: One from my own heart! Great team.

Good argument if goals scored could be extrapolated.

----------------- Higdon-----------------

Murphy -------- oJAAMA ------ Hump

--------------Law------- Lasley-----------------

Hammell--- Hutch--- Saunders--- Hately

--------------------randolph

worked the charm on FM12 :P

:cheers: Another option..... Good team.

Randy

Saunders

Hutchy

Page

Hammy

Carswell / Hately

Lasley

Faddy

Ojamaa

Higgy

Murph

Midfield 3 with Faddy slightly further forward linking up with Higgy. Oj and Murph attacking from the wings.

I don't think playing Nicky Law in central midfield is an option except when we're really short. He's a bit lightweight and has struggled there in the hurly burly of SPL games. As things stand its a contest between Tom Hately and Stuart Carswell for a starting slot there. Cover at RB will determine where the former plays. Hopefully we can pick up a player or perhaps two.

I don't think playing Nicky Law in central midfield is an option except when we're really short. He's a bit lightweight and has struggled there in the hurly burly of SPL games. As things stand its a contest between Tom Hately and Stuart Carswell for a starting slot there. Cover at RB will determine where the former plays. Hopefully we can pick up a player or perhaps two.

As far as centre mid goes I'd probably have Hateley way down the list behind Lasley, Law, Carswell and even Page. Can't believe anyone who's seen him play in the middle still believes he can do a job there.

As far as centre mid goes I'd probably have Hateley way down the list behind Lasley, Law, Carswell and even Page. Can't believe anyone who's seen him play in the middle still believes he can do a job there.

I don't think its a case of anyone wanting him to play there, its just that reading between the lines, he may be seen as the low cost option of replacing Jennings as we have cover for the right back slot. Hateley spat the dummy out previously for playing at the back and he's probably up for the move into mid.

For me, I think we're really going to struggle without Jennings. Look at how much we missed him when he was out last year. God help us if Lasley gets injured or suspended as he almost certainly will. The rest of the team I'm pretty happy with, I don't think any of us can demand a better quality player in any position really, but a replacement for Jennings is absolutely essential.

Bear in mind we will probably have to sell 1 or maybe 2 of the following, Randolph, Murphy, Hutchinson, Humphrey, by the end of the current or January transfer window.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm worried about the departures of Craigan, Clancy and Jennings but there is a natural concern that we might not be as strong as we were and how that will impact on our standing next season.

But that said I do think its important to keep in mind that teams can and do adapt to compensate for the loss of important players, youngsters or fringe players can stake claims and a fresh face can emerge unexpectedly that can any ease worries about departed favourites.There is plenty of evidence of that at Fir Park alone over the last few years.

I think that part of any apprehension about the depth of quality of our squad as a whole is, as has been hinted at in couple of threads, not that many are too sure of how good the youngsters who will be on the fringes of the squad are. You always like to think that there are some good prospects around capable of making the step up but I genuinely couldn't say if that's the case or not.

Not too many get the chance to see them on a regular basis these days to be able to form an opinion. Used to be you clearly identify who was a prospect by watching the reserves up at Fir Park every other week.

Nowadays youth games are generally played in the afternoon during the working week which limits opportunities and as a consequence only so many will be able to accurately comment on what they feel the squad needs.

Perfectly capable replacements for each of three departed first-teamers may well be lurking in the squad already - but that we just might not be aware of it.