Spl Opener - Ross County V Motherwell

Rickoza

Who is Jim Frame?

Has run the Central Branch for 300yrs, and at some time in the past was the Chairman of the Association, (may still hold a position on the Committee), but that does not give him the right to exorcise the "power-mad dictator" role he appears to relish so much.

I believe his heart is in the right place, but his people skills are sadly lacking. I remember telling him, in the late 70's, to "get a grip". Perhaps stronger words are now required.

I think we suffered from McCall pissing about with the tactics. Why after the way we played aganist Panathinaikos would you want to tinker with the team? I know a few folk were having a go at Ojamaa but he did cause their defence a few problems on Tuesday and much like the Everton game you could see his intelligence in the way he's still finding space in the right areas he's just not being as productive as he was. Whether that's down to sharpness as Weeyin suggests or just short of a bit of confidence I don't know but he didn't deserve to be dropped in my opinion.

For Me

Humphrey---------------- Murphy

---------------Ojamaa

---------------Higdon

Is our best front 4 with Lasley and Law in the centre. Yesterday he had Murphy starting up front, moving to the left wing and finishing on the right wing. He had Daley on the left and up front. He had Humphrey on for too long as he was probably the poorest of the front 4 yesterday and all this pissing about left Higdon isolated with no support. Until Ojamaa came on and although he didn't set the game alight he caused problems and it was no coincidence our best spell of pressure came when Ojamaa came on. He got close to Higdon, he made runs off him and he got the ball down and run at the County defence. We were far better when Ojamaa came on and he MUST start for me next week as even though he's not firing on all cylinders he still brings a lot to the team. He acts as a link between the midfield and Higdon which we missed badly for spells yesterday and he is an intelligent player who's constant running may not always benifit himself but it does create more space for others. Hopefully he can get a few goals soon and get back to his best.

I think there was maybe an eye on possibly snatching something on Wednesday from McCall and the side yesterday, hence the lack of urgency and creativity. Getting a win was always going to be a hard ask, what with the positioning of the game between the 2 euro ties, the travel up, the relatively unknown opposition and of course the players heads being on Wednesday.

They probably should have done more to bother Fraser though. It reminded me of the poor run of home form between September and November last year where we were far too shot shy. The neat play is nice to watch, but sometimes you just want to see someone have a dig, Ramsden was unlucky with his though.

Come the St Johnstone game, I would hope that the lads take whatever happens in Athens on board and react as positively as they can. The Saints will come to Fir Park minus Tade, and looking for their first Win since before the split last season. Ojamaa has caused the problems each time he's played against them, so I'd expect more of the same next week,

Hopefully Greece won't take too much out of the players and the fans, as a sell out crowd will also push the lads on to a result.

I think we suffered from McCall pissing about with the tactics. Why after the way we played aganist Panathinaikos would you want to tinker with the team?

Because Panathanaikos at home is a different proposition from Ross County away.

Because Panathanaikos at home is a different proposition from Ross County away.

Okay but you didn't really answer my question, in what way was removing Ojamaa and putting in Daley going to increase our chances of beating Ross County? It isolated Higdon, Murphy was lost wandering the ptich in several positions and Daley was just Daley and added little to the team. We looked disjointed and lacking in creativty or any sort of fluency. For me it was nothing to do with the oppostion and more to do with McCall dropping Ojamaa for Daley. He didn't change the shape of the team or the way we tried to play it was basically a like for like swap in terms of switching one forward for another and thus forcing McCall to tinker the team further to accommodate Daley. He was out on the left and fairly innefective and Murphy who I thought was very promising on the left on Tuesday was shunted inside and got lost amongst the land of giants in the County defence.

In my opnion for one reason or another McCall dropped Ojamaa and in doing so messed with the balance of the team that looked good against Panathinaikos as I tried to explain in my previous post.

Sell out crowd?

yesterday?

no where near it, Think I read that the stand we were in holds 1700'ish, lucky if we had just over a third off that up,

home stands were near as anything full

EDIt just read teh end of the post above which I had gave up on, aye it'll be even further away from a sell out next Saturday

Okay but you didn't really answer my question, in what way was removing Ojamaa and putting in Daley going to increase our chances of beating Ross County?

The story on here was that Ojamaa was dropped due to disciplinary reasons. I don't know if that is true or not, but even if not, a number of people are of the opinion that he didn't do himself any favours on Tuesday night.

I haven't seen every minute of every pre-season game, but in the highlights (against Accies for example) Daley was directly involved in a couple of the goals and a number of the chances. I did see all of the Panathanaikos game and thought that either through inexperience or greed, Henrik messed up a few of our scoring opportunities.

The story on here was that Ojamaa was dropped due to disciplinary reasons. I don't know if that is true or not, but even if not, a number of people are of the opinion that he didn't do himself any favours on Tuesday night.

I wouldn't believe anything said on here in all honesty, probably a load of shite.

I haven't seen every minute of every pre-season game, but in the highlights (against Accies for example) Daley was directly involved in a couple of the goals and a number of the chances. I did see all of the Panathanaikos game and thought that either through inexperience or greed, Henrik messed up a few of our scoring opportunities.

Yes however..

Panathanaikos at home is a different proposition from Ross County Hamilton Accies away(in a friendly).

:P

In any case the sentence " thought that either through inexperience or greed, Henrik messed up a few of our scoring opportunities" kind of proves my point, he may have messed up a few chances but he creates a lot of chances through his own work. He does need to improve on his end product which is not at it's best at the minute but we look much more dangerous with him in the team on Tuesday and the last twenty on Saturday than we did without him in my opinion.

Just to step away from becoming a 'Steelboy' type Daley basher I thought he done alright in the last 15 or so mins against Panathiaikos. However Murphy had ran the full back ragged for most of the game and Daley's pace caused him a few problems due to his tiredness. However again I could back to how well Murphy played on the left on Tuesday and I still don't know why McCall shifted him from there on Saturday but I fear I may be repeating myself.

From what I have seen of Ojamaa, Daley and Murphy over preseason and Tuesday night Daley has offered more than the other two - he deserved his shot. Yesterday we came up against a team who tried to make sure Motherwell finished on 0 first and foremost and as such we struggled to create the way we did against Everton, Panathinaikos and Hamilton who all had a go. I think McCall was truly vindicated in making the change he did. And to be honest when Ojamaa came on he did just as little as the ones who had started.

1344170419[/url]' post='354125']

Who is Jim Frame?

Known to stroll down Bourneville Boulevard...

Likely his actions yesterday will leave him and the outdated association with little or no credibility. Believe the club will investigate his attempts at putting the clubs' security team out of work.

• Like 2

In any case the sentence " thought that either through inexperience or greed, Henrik messed up a few of our scoring opportunities" kind of proves my point, he may have messed up a few chances but he creates a lot of chances through his own work. He does need to improve on his end product which is not at it's best at the minute but we look much more dangerous with him in the team on Tuesday and the last twenty on Saturday than we did without him in my opinion.

I don't disagree - and maybe the seat on the bench helped him a focus a bit more when he came on.

Of course, McCall might just have been saving him for the second leg!

From what I have seen of Ojamaa, Daley and Murphy over preseason and Tuesday night Daley has offered more than the other two - he deserved his shot. Yesterday we came up against a team who tried to make sure Motherwell finished on 0 first and foremost and as such we struggled to create the way we did against Everton, Panathinaikos and Hamilton who all had a go. I think McCall was truly vindicated in making the change he did. And to be honest when Ojamaa came on he did just as little as the ones who had started.

I agree that County set out to nullify us however I don't entirely agree about your last sentence. He wasn't particularly good but our best spell came when he and latterly McHugh came on in the last 15 or so mins. County had done ther homwork and rather than hunting down the ball from our defence they were more than happy to let us have possesion and sit in their two banks of 4. We had to nowhere to go as the ball would go out Humphrey who was doubled up on, he would play it back to Hateley who put it in the box where it was Higdon against their entire defence most of whom were 6''2 plus and happy to be dealing with crosses into the box. Then it would go out to Daley on the other side and he would come inside into traffic and play it back to Hammell who would then play it back to the defence who would just lump it forward again playing into County's hands as Munro & Boyd were dominating in the air all day.

This was the way of it till Ojamaa and McHugh came on in the last 15 mins. They were trying to stretch the defence and drag the big centre halfs into areas they didn't want to go. The last wee spell of the game was the only time I thought the County defence looked a bit suspect as Ojamaa and later McHugh were starting to stretch them and this was creating space for others like Hateley, Law & Lasley who were all popping up closer to the County goal than they had for the previous 70 odd minutes. I know the game naturally starts to get stretched around this time but I thought we looked most dangerous when Ojamaa and latterly McHugh came on to give more support to Higdon and were causing the big centre halfs problems, they hate playing against these small hard working forwards who are going to nip at their heals and drag them about the pitch and get in behind them.

However yesterday I think McCall played right into their hands by making it a slog between Higdon and their centre halfs and I wish he'd changed it sooner as I feel despite how poor we were we could have gotten all three points. Had Ojamaa or McHugh even started next to Higdon I think it could have made a difference. Higdon isn't mobile we know that and their centre halfs would have been happy he was playing and Murphy for me doesn't offer the same support as the other two as he prefers to drop a bit deeper and pick up the ball and run at players, how many times yesterday did he make a run beyond the defence? I can't remember one all game even Daley when he switched to up top seemed to be trying to get in behind more. We needed in my opinion someone like Ojamaa who could have dragged the centre halfs out of position or spun in behind to get them running towards their own goal. Some more movement and urgency was needed to try and break through and I don't think that Ojamaa's movement on Tuesday that created a lot of the space that players like Law & Lasley were running into got the credit it deserved. Folk were more concerned with giving him pelters(some justified some not im my opinion) for giving the ball away and not squaring that chance to Murphy than giving him any sort of credit for the hard work he done for the team. He creates space with his hard work and movement and yesterday for me we had nobody moving or showing for the ball or trying to create space and we kept running into the big Ross County shaped brick wall for most of the game.

* I would like to point out at this stage I'm a big fan of McCall and what he's done for us however I think at times he can wait too long to make his subs when it's clear the game needs changing. Not always but sometimes he can be a bit too cautious in changing things and that yesterday he got it wrong in my opnion. I STRESS just my opinion and this will be the last I say on the matter as it's starting to turn into a bit of a rant even though I don't intend it to be.

EDIT-

I don't disagree - and maybe the seat on the bench helped him a focus a bit more when he came on.

Of course, McCall might just have been saving him for the second leg!

I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from, reading back it looks like I'm going mental and ranting a bit but I'm just a bit frustrated with yesterday's performance.

Edited by Well 4 Europe

Ultimately, I think we are still lacking a bit of match sharpness due, in part, to limited competitive game time with our restricted pre-season schedule.

Time will tell, of course, but regaining that cutting edge is something that will hopefully return after a couple more run outs.

However yesterday I think McCall played right into their hands by making it a slog between Higdon and their centre halfs and I wish he'd changed it sooner as I feel despite how poor we were we could have gotten all three points. Had Ojamaa or McHugh even started next to Higdon I think it could have made a difference. Higdon isn't mobile we know that and their centre halfs would have been happy he was playing and Murphy for me doesn't offer the same support as the other two as he prefers to drop a bit deeper and pick up the ball and run at players, how many times yesterday did he make a run beyond the defence? I can't remember one all game even Daley when he switched to up top seemed to be trying to get in behind more. We needed in my opinion someone like Ojamaa who could have dragged the centre halfs out of position or spun in behind to get them running towards their own goal. Some more movement and urgency was needed to try and break through and I don't think that Ojamaa's movement on Tuesday that created a lot of the space that players like Law & Lasley were running into got the credit it deserved. Folk were more concerned with giving him pelters(some justified some not im my opinion) for giving the ball away and not squaring that chance to Murphy than giving him any sort of credit for the hard work he done for the team. He creates space with his hard work and movement and yesterday for me we had nobody moving or showing for the ball or trying to create space and we kept running into the big Ross County shaped brick wall for most of the game

This. Some excellent points in there.