Simon Ramsden

FrazMFC96

I think that I recall someone on here saying that he had been pushed into midfield at the Raith game. So if he can do a job there as well as anywhere in the defence, surely he has to be worth a contract?

Presumably too Stuart Carswell is injured I've hardly heard his name mentioned in recent weeks and he doesn't appear to have featured in any game. Is he injured or has he done a Lord Lucan disappearing act?

he had a hip flexor injury

he said he should be back training today

Hateley should be the first choice RB ahead of anyone else. Pretty consistent, reliable and level headed, and very rarely injured. Which sadly seems to be the problem for Hutch and Saunders. Quite concerning how many niggles both pick up in relation to other players of a similar age.

Hope I haven't jinxed Hateley now right enough.

When Saunders and Hateley were both available at the beginning of last season, Saunders didn't get a look in. I don't see anything to suggest McCall has changed his mind.

Ramsden and Hutchinson will be the centre backs and if Hutchinson is injured I can see Page or Cummins playing at centre back before Saunders.

I'm afraid I see Saunders withering on the vine which is a shame because I think he has potential.

When Saunders and Hateley were both available at the beginning of last season, Saunders didn't get a look in. I don't see anything to suggest McCall has changed his mind.

Ramsden and Hutchinson will be the centre backs and if Hutchinson is injured I can see Page or Cummins playing at centre back before Saunders.

I'm afraid I see Saunders withering on the vine which is a shame because I think he has potential.

I suspect you might be on the right lines in terms of where McCall sees Crazy Legs in the pecking order but I'm not quite sure how much can be taken from the beginning of last season.

Certainly Craigan and Hutchinson were clearly the first pick central defence with Hateley preferred at right-back. We kept two clean sheets in those first two games so I wouldn't have expected to have seen a change in defence unless forced upon us.

Saunders was first-reserve for those positions as was seen when he was in for the Hearts game and he was then injured for Scotland U21's after that.

Not first choice certainly but I think its speculative to say based on only those three games he wouldn't have a look in.

As I mentioned to Brazilian a few weeks ago when I was sending over my cash for the sponsored strips, I work beside the father of one of the young guys coming through the ranks and he mentioned this to me a couple of weeks ago, apparently McCall has told Saunders personally that he'll struggle to get games this season, even when he's fully fit, so I guess Ya Beezer is on the right lines.

Obviously you can't question McCall's record at Motherwell, but if this is true he needs glasses in my opinion. For me a fit and in form Saunders is as good as Hutchinson. Personally I'd have him at centre back alongside Hutchinson but would be happy to see him at right back (only flaw with that would mean Hateley would be playing midfield). For me Saunders has massive potential, and I'd hate to see it wasted sitting on the bench at Motherwell. For his sake, he'd be better getting a move elsewhere. Sadly it would be more our loss than his...

That's the part I didnae get Melvin. If I were a professional football player and my manager had just told me I would have little part to play in the coming season and this happened right at the start of the summer transfer window, I think I'd be making a nuisance of myself to my agent to find me a move.

That's the part I didnae get Melvin. If I were a professional football player and my manager had just told me I would have little part to play in the coming season and this happened right at the start of the summer transfer window, I think I'd be making a nuisance of myself to my agent to find me a move.

Problem for Saunders is that he's been injured for the best part of a season. You just need to look at McFadden to see how that can affect the number of clubs willing to take a punt on you...

Well if we're going on to base things on second hand stories I've been told that one off the gaffers problems is that he will go to any lengths to make sure his mates boy gets a game.

In a job that is based 100% on results, not picking your best team every week would be mental.

hateley has played 137 games in a row with only two of them being sub appearances.

he's had a couple of dips in form but it's some record, like reynolds before him guys that you can't count on being available week in week out to put in consistent performances are worth their weight in gold.

I like hately, he's pretty steady at RB and takes most of the set pieces, he is dreadful in midfield, which means Saunders would need to fit in at centre half.

I don't think it's anything to do with his dad he's in the team.

On a side note, it's worth remembering hately is still young too.

On another aside note. Law took most of the corners in the Everton game with Hately staying back.

To bring it back on topic, ramsden looked like a threat at set pieces, made a good run for one corner, and got his head to another in the everton game.

To back track slightly on what I said about hately, although he strikes the ball well, I often felt we didn't score anywhere near enough goals from his corners. Whether that's more to do with lack of height than the quality of ball, I don't know?