The Managers Press Conference Ahead Of The Celtic Game

David

Has anyone watched McCall's press conference on MFCTV yet? I thought there'd have been some chat on here about it by now.

He mentions, among other things, that the reason we don't get results against the Old Firm is "probably down to them having better players, bigger squads than us", when asked about the grumblings among the fans regarding the record against the Old Firm he comes back with "obviously we'd all like to win games, but if we could beat Rangers and Celtic now & then but finish 8th, or continue as we have done I knows what I'd rather take".

The real corker though is when the reporter asks if, in light of the supporters being unhappy about the performance against the Old Firm is it important that the club get those supporters "onside" for todays game he replies with, and I quote, "If people want to get onside they get onside, and if they don't then that's up to them".

After seeing that press conference I can understand why there was no statement or apology from the club. I don't think he's happy with the over-reaction to the game midweek.

Has anyone watched McCall's press conference on MFCTV yet? I thought there'd have been some chat on here about it by now.

He mentions, among other things, that the reason we don't get results against the Old Firm is "probably down to them having better players, bigger squads than us", when asked about the grumblings among the fans regarding the record against the Old Firm he comes back with "obviously we'd all like to win games, but if we could beat Rangers and Celtic now & then but finish 8th, or continue as we have done I knows what I'd rather take".

The real corker though is when the reporter asks if, in light of the supporters being unhappy about the performance against the Old Firm is it important that the club get those supporters "onside" for todays game he replies with, and I quote, "If people want to get onside they get onside, and if they don't then that's up to them".

After seeing that press conference I can understand why there was no statement or apology from the club. I don't think he's happy with the over-reaction to the game midweek.

Agreed in the past the Squirm have had stronger squads than us, but I don't accept the Buns team on Wednesday were stronger or better than us - McCoist had them pumped up with a point to prove, and we let them. The Great Unwashed today are undoubtedly a stronger team, but we need to play like the Buns did on Wednesday

Accept the point about beating the Squirm and not doing so well in the league, but surely we should be playing every game with a belief that we can win - that will be the message that's given to the team, but we should be saying it publicly - talk the talk in other words

Whatever way you look at it, the fans are the life blood of any club, but even more so for ours in the current climate - we were all down after Wednesday, but talk positive and the atmosphere is built up again - what we don't want or need, is for the crowd as a whole to be flat today - contrary to what I posted on the Smellic thread, come the start of the game, I'll be ready for it

MON RA DOSSERS

And rightly so. The quotes you have put up are 100% spot on from McCall.

I think fans are desperate for the massive highs of beating the OF but don't seem content with generally doing very well against teams around us because you don't get that same buzz. It's understandable to feel that way but I think so many people need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Aye, our record against them is horrendous but it doesn't actually have too much of a bearing on our season in the long run. And aye, I know we're out a cup but we've been put out the cup after terrible performances many a time by lesser teams than Rangers and not had the same reaction.

McCall has every right to be raging. Maybe not with people being critical of the 90 mins on Wednesday, but with the fact that so many are now desperate to pick holes in his overall management of the club when he was brought a steady stream of good results over the last 20 months.

• Like 2

But he also needs to accept why fans were so raging at Wednesday.

Yes some the chat was OTT but a lot of it was spot on, wednesday was a disgrace and deserves to be highlighted cos in truth on the field we shat it big time and that's not acceptable. Stuarty takes some of the blame for that as well as the players, we were told to expect an intimidating atmosphere, what happened? The only ones who turned up on the night with an air of defiance was us dafties in that corner section.They let us down badly, and for all they've done very well to get where we are at this point, that simple truth has to be said.

• Like 2

But he also needs to accept why fans were so raging at Wednesday.

Yes some the chat was OTT but a lot of it was spot on, wednesday was a disgrace and deserves to be highlighted cos in truth on the field we shat it big time and that's not acceptable. Stuarty takes some of the blame for that as well as the players, we were told to expect an intimidating atmosphere, what happened? The only ones who turned up on the night with an air of defiance was us dafties in that corner section.They let us down badly, and for all they've done very well to get where we are at this point, that simple truth has to be said.

This.

And rightly so. The quotes you have put up are 100% spot on from McCall.

I think fans are desperate for the massive highs of beating the OF but don't seem content with generally doing very well against teams around us because you don't get that same buzz. It's understandable to feel that way but I think so many people need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Aye, our record against them is horrendous but it doesn't actually have too much of a bearing on our season in the long run. And aye, I know we're out a cup but we've been put out the cup after terrible performances many a time by lesser teams than Rangers and not had the same reaction.

McCall has every right to be raging. Maybe not with people being critical of the 90 mins on Wednesday, but with the fact that so many are now desperate to pick holes in his overall management of the club when he was brought a steady stream of good results over the last 20 months.

Bollocks...the fans have every right to be raging at McCall. A Manager, no matter where he played before, his primary job is to put a winning team on the park and promote the club to its fans. He done more for the Rangers cause in that last game than McCoist done. His pre and post match conference were a joke and that extends to the board. Time for McCall to concentrate on the huge defensive frailties we have re short corners and marking and get a replacement in the centre of the park. Concetrate on winning games for Motherwell not talking up everything Rangers.

• Like 1

What about QOS, Annan, Peterhead and Berwick?

Do The Rangers not have bigger more expensive squads than them?

They still managed to get creditible results.

I like Stuart McCall. He is doing a good job. But those remarks are just a cop out.

With our budget we have no right to expect to be beating the old squirm on a regular basis. But with our league position over the last year we do have a right to expect that our performances and results against them to be better than they have been.

I've enjoyed some tremendous victories over the Mauld Squirm over the years, and have grown to accept that our bread and butter games are against the rest of our SPL competition.

However, Wednesday's 2nd half performance against a bunch of Div 3 schoolboys was simply unacceptable. If Stuart McCall cannot acknowledge that then we have the wrong man at the helm I'm afraid.

McCall has fuck all right to be angry at the fans. He didn't shell out to endure 90+ minutes of abuse and to watch a spineless display. To then praise the rangers support after, in any context was unacceptable.

I'm just glad we won't have to play them again for a few years

I agree he's made some ill judged comments when it comes to old firm games. And this week has been no exception. However there are a fair few who, particularly around games against Rangers, question his professionalism, integrity, allegiance and his desire to do well for Motherwell. All of which is completely unjustifiable in my opinion and which I'm sure would anger him. He comes across as a decent and level-headed guy in interviews and offer all teams/players/refs etc the same level of respect when he talks about them. It just seems to be when it's Rangers people go daft. Aye, under the circumstances I think he should have acknowledged the travelling support however he didn't and I think given his achievements since he took over he can be forgiven this time. He mentions the 'well support time and time again in his e-mails and in other interviews so I think we all just need to man up and get on with it, rather than picking faults that in the grand scheme of things aren't major concerns.

I was a bit disappointed in Stuart's post match interview on BBC Radio tonight. No problem with him saying that Celtic were the better team and deserved to win, but did he have to go on and on about how good Celtic were? He hardly mentioned his own team. Surely he's paid to manage Motherwell FC and improve us. I dread to think what his team talk will be prior to our next visit to Parkhead. "We've no chance/Celtic are a great team etc etc". That'll motivate the players ...not.

i think he is a tactically inept simpleton but that seems fair comment.

• Like 1

In regards to McCall's comments about taking a 3rd placed finish whilst losing every game against Celtic, or 'The Rangers' along the way over getting a few results against them and finishing 8th, I can see where he's coming from. However it's not a choice he's got to make at the start of each season to do either one or the other, he is the manager of the team and part of that remit is to get the team fired up for EVERY game we play including those against Celtic and other 'better' sides. He is failing on that count in my opinion.

I'm frankly sick fed up with McCall's approach to these games, we are beaten before the game even kicks off and he just accepts it as if these games don't matter. Well in that case, why doesn't he just save everyone the time, effort and money and just forfeit the match beforehand, resulting in a 3-0 win for them without a ball being kicked? He'd be as well doing that because it is clear that we are never going to get anything out of these games whilst he is the manager.

I've given McCall plenty of credit for what he's achieved whilst he's been here but he has limitations which are there for all to see in regards to his tactical ability, and this past week has been a real eye opener with some of his comments and attitude towards our last two matches.