Motherwell Vs Dundee United Discussion Thread

David

Blaming every player on the pitch for losing to Rangers and Celtic in one week isnt going to make any difference . Motherwell are the best of the rest, from what ive seen so far, Yes its gutting to lose so easily to Rangers and Celtic, but who honestly thought we would get anything from the Celtic game.

Dundee Utd game at Home, back to winnings ways, I believe we will win by two clear goals.

As for team selection. Bring OJ back in, might be a headless chicken but he offers more going forward, orbeit frustrating at time.

Ill take the fifth, On Humphrey, Murphy, Law,and Daley as which ever I choose ill be banging them.

Let the Gaffer choose. :whistling:

I think my team would be:

Randolph

Hately

Kerr

Hutchinson

Hammell

Daley

Ramsden

Lasley

Law

Ojamma

Higdon

May well be humph instead of Omar, and murphy instead of ramsden? It's a shame to drop Angol, but hammell should (and will) return if fit, as we lack experience.

It's a shame to drop Angol, but hammell should (and will) return if fit, as we lack experience.

I'm not sure I get this ZFA love-in - could someone explain it? Granted he is young and might have some positive attributes, but whenever I've seen him I've thought average at best.

• Like 1

1349108765[/url]' post='363328']

I'm not sure I get this ZFA love-in - could someone explain it? Granted he is young and might have some positive attributes, but whenever I've seen him I've thought average at best.

Although, plenty to learn, the kid's not put a foot wrong and Hammell has been turning in poor performances for months now...

• Like 2

I don't know where you get "love-in" from me saying he should be dropped?

:lol:

Think he's played well when called upon, but think hammell's experience is needed in a young and at times clumsy looking defence. Think the boy looks an able replacement though.

The more I think bout it I think we need to keep Hump in for this game. Utd have serious problems at left back. Brian McLean has been playing there!!! The lad Douglas is a decent prospect but well off form.

Humphrey should get some joy down that side as he has struggled in the past against Dixon, now of Huddersfield and if Higdon can bully Gunning and Ojaama gets to run at Dillon II think we might be in with a shout.

for me, and not only in this game........we need to play Higgy and Henrik as a partnership. Its how we get the best out of Higdon, and Ojamma is the only player who seems to take a gamble and go beyond Higdon

it does leave us with a problem in midfield - but thats the managers job - to work out how we get the best from the players we have!!

i'd like to see us go back to Law on the left, Humph on the right, Las in the middle with someone he can forge a partnership with. We've had numerous players in that "other" midfield position, but none have looked convincing!

Can Ramsden play there? he looked a little more composed on the ball than others did when we played the holding role against Celtic, but i'd rather see him at CB

Can Carswell step up to the mark? I'd like to think so, but he needs to be given a run of games to show what he can do

Can Hetherington step up? has had a few ups and downs, and in the last couple of games he played, he gave the ball away far too many times for my liking!

Can Hateley? IMO NO!! He should be ushered straight to RB and told that is where he is staying!!

For a team who promote youth as a selling point, and try to promote from within - we need to start giving these younger guys a chance. Carswell for eg - been on the fringes of the first team for 3 seasons now, started only 8 games. Whilst I fully appreciate, Jenno and Las had a fantastic partnership that got us into Europe....this season, one of these guys should be stepping up to the plate. Not rejigging the team and playing players out of position. The only game that Carswell has started this season, was Levante away! Hetherington is in a similar position only played 2 games.

I'd like to think, that with McCall being a CM himself in his playing days - that he would be able to add a little bit extra to these players

Anyway - i've went off on one!! Roll on saturday and fingers crossed we can get back to winning aways against Utd - no doubt Daly and GMS will be back and United will get their first win in a while!!! Just our luck!!

• Like 4

Hetheringron gave the ball away constantly both times I've seen him.

Ramsden may go to CB as cummins is suspended, or Kerr could move to CB.

A blind man can see hately is not a CM, he's ok at RB though.

My prefered option would be Kerr at CB, hately at RB, ramsden or carswell in CM with lasley in a 4-4-2, with ojamma or murphy up with higdon.

I like ojammas work rate, directness, and willingness to take responsibility, BUT I think he has made more of an impact coming off the bench!

Agree Humphrey will probably do better against most teams than he has in the last couple of games, so maybe him instead of Daley (which I posted earlier).

For a team who promote youth as a selling point, and try to promote from within - we need to start giving these younger guys a chance. Carswell for eg - been on the fringes of the first team for 3 seasons now, started only 8 games. Whilst I fully appreciate, Jenno and Las had a fantastic partnership that got us into Europe....this season, one of these guys should be stepping up to the plate. Not rejigging the team and playing players out of position. The only game that Carswell has started this season, was Levante away! Hetherington is in a similar position only played 2 games.

Aye Carswell's an interesting one. Considering it was McCall who plucked him from the U18's and involved him in the first-team in the run-up to the Cup Final in 2011 and subsequently gave him a new contract, I've found his lack of opportunities thus far this season a little surprising.

I don't know if there have been injuries at play but I agree there have been a couple of games this season where from the few times I have seen him play, Carswell would appeared to have offered the best balance to the team, but he's been nowhere to be seen.

Ramsden needs to play CB, in for Cummins.

Hately needs to play outwith CM. RB would be just fucking dandy. Especially as Kerr is currently looking shaky as all hell.

Hammell in for ZFA if possible. I like ZFA on the ball, but he looks a bit headless chicken at the moment.

Carswell at CM would be fine.

I'd go with Humphrey and Ojamaa on the wings.

• Like 1

Ramsden needs to play CB, in for Cummins.

Hately needs to play outwith CM. RB would be just fucking dandy. Especially as Kerr is currently looking shaky as all hell.

Hammell in for ZFA if possible. I like ZFA on the ball, but he looks a bit headless chicken at the moment.

Carswell at CM would be fine.

I'd go with Humphrey and Ojamaa on the wings.

You dropping nicky law? Or is he CM in a 4-5-1?

Aye, as part of a 5 for me.

Humphrey

Lasley

Carswell

Law

Ojamaa

Higdon.

Pushing to a more 4-3-3 when we're moving forward.

do you honestly think that when we play like this, we are getting the best out of the players we have?

when we play like this, Higdon is isolated - he gets no support from his colleagues (even though you are saying, we will push to a 433) he then starts to get berated from the stands for not doing much

if we play like you suggest, then IMO Higdon should be the focal point - he shouldn't be running into channels - he should be staying central and be letting the 5 midfielders do the work/running and when we have the ball - we need to play to his strengths. And by that, I mean getting good deliveries into the box.(but we dont do that!) Its all fine and dandy, keeping the ball and working it out wide - but see when the ball is out wide, get it fired into the box for Higgy - that's how we score goals. Not working it out wide - then cutting back inside, working it across the box, then back out wide to repeat this ten fold.

again, playing like you suggest, and Oj is one one side and Hump on the other..............if Oj has the ball out wide, Hump should be coming in at the back post to support Higgy and give us another option/target in the box. Can you honestly say this happens?

I'd be happy if we worked it out wide and if something wasn't on, cut back inside work it along the box and had a shot from outside the box from one of our midfielders - but that doesn't happen either! As soon as we cut back inside, lay it back to the full back or along the box, you are letting the other team get men behind the ball and ultimately reduce our chance to score and the threat we potentially had has gone.

Im beginning to sound like MJC! :help:

On that note - 2-1 Utd, Daly, Russell and Higgy for us! :dash2:

From memory has Humphrey not caused Dundee Utd some difficulties in the past, particularly at Fir Park. I might be mistaken but I seem to recollect him scoring a couple of times against them as well. Probably about a third of all his 'Well goals :lol: