Hearts V Motherwell....

Davie boy

Carswell only got a chance due to the injury to Hutchy. He played very well too. I'll be furious if I turn up at Fir Park on Friday and Carswell isn't starting.

McHugh deserves a run in the team.

We're starting to look a bit toothless whilst everyone bar Dundee have picked up a couple of wins. The league is very tight as expected but we're drifting towards the bottom of the pile.

I've seen plenty worse there before I'll say that.

For me it boiled down to them scoring when they were in the ascendancy whilst we didn't score when we were on top. Other than that not a great deal between the sides.

If there was a lesson to learned from today though its that Carswell in the middle with Hateley back at right-back immediately brought a better balance to the team. I hope McCall sticks with that on Friday and we can look Law to get on the left-hand side where he has linked up with Hammy to good effect in the past and allow Lasley to do what he does with a bit more assurance that cover is there.

Two defeats in succession in the league, and three if you include the League Cup game are a worry obviously and we clearly need to address that soon. We've generally been fairly good over recent seasons at stopping the rot before things have descended into a genuine slump and hopefully that will continue.

For the moment for me it reiterates that there isn't a huge amount between much of this league save for Dundee. It's disappointing to have dropped a few places having been top for a couple of weeks, but the likes of Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Inverness illustrate that we can get back on track and put a couple of results together movement back up there can be swift.

A morale boosting win on Friday would be just the thing.

Like a few others, I don't think we deserved to lose that, but we certainly didn't deserve to win either. I honestly would give all of our guys pass marks today. Murphy was much improved, Humphrey had a better game and Carswells performance in the 2nd half was very encouraging.

Substitutions don't seem to be McCalls strong point, again Ojamaa should have been on 10-15 minutes before he did, and I probably would have preferred to see McHugh come on instead of Daley.

The one thing that bugs me, and has done for years is how we try to pass the ball into the net. We really need guys like Law and Lasley to have have a crack instead of turning round and passing it backwards, or passing it sideways along the edge of the box. Even if the shot isn't a great one we'd benefit from the odd deflection or rebound I reckon.

Carswell only got a chance due to the injury to Hutchy. He played very well too. I'll be furious if I turn up at Fir Park on Friday and Carswell isn't starting.

McHugh deserves a run in the team.

We're starting to look a bit toothless whilst everyone bar Dundee have picked up a couple of wins. The league is very tight as expected but we're drifting towards the bottom of the pile.

No chance should Carswell be starting provided Hutchys injury doesn't keep him out. I'd have Las, Law, Rammers and maybe Hateley ahead of him in the middle of the park all day long.

I don't see what McHugh offers to warrant him a run in the team.

This league has always been very tight outwith the top 2 (now 1). We took advantage last year due narrowly winning games we narrowly failed to win this year. Lets no get too disheartened, we are still able to play good football for time to time. It's not like we have dominated everyone even during our recent succesfull campaigns.

Our biggest problem area... and for some reason people rarley pick up on it is our lack of a natural left sided forward. Murphy's being reguarly hounded, but i'd have him starting in at least 3 different roles than the one he's regulary asked to play. Even playing Law wide left (our best option in that area IMO) negates alot of what he brings to the table.

I hate living in fanatsyland but we should have broke the bank for Faddy and stuck him out wide left.

Short and simple points from me I'd like to address:

• Higdon up front on his own, really? Surely after 20 or so failed attempts at this over the last year and bit McCall would begin to realise it doesn't fucking work. He needs support and someone to play off him which he didn't have until it was too late.
  • Tactics weren't working, we hardly made the Hearts keeper make a save yet it took over 70 mins for McCall to change it.
  • Hearts are bang average yet instead of going and having a go and imposing our own game on them we went and matched up with them and got sucked into playing their game instead of focusing on our own.

Why not play the same teams and tactics as we did at Pittodrie? Where we played good football, were on top for most of the game and created plenty of chances. Far too cautious today and it was an OF esque performance from us. Overly negative, huffed and puffed and looked like getting nothing.

Worse teams with worse players than us will go(and have gone) to Tynecastle this season and pick up points. They were there for the taking yet we were so insipid and pedestrian that we never really looked like getting anything. A great chance for points thrown away in my opinion.

Effin crazy.

....and I went through. Very poor game imo and coupled with the time of kick off, the fact it was on TV, and costs involved it's time for some changes for me.

I've looooong looooong been going to all Well games home and away but its time to start sitting some out....especially the ones away from home at garbage times, with extortinate ticket prices, that can be viewed on TV. However, I also know I have seen this in others and where it leads. Once you start missing the odd game you see what your saving and then it turns into a few more and the next thing you know you are only going to home games and BIG away games and so it continues on from there.

Nothing to do with the result. We lost 1-0 to a team that will be in the top six. We are in the top six, only played nine games and will win and lose games throughout the season.

No way though was that game value for money. On top of that I don't really want to keep 'supporting' crap kick off times and match prices.

Just my opinion mind.

• Like 1

3 wins in 14 games this season, mccall is under pressure imo.

starting 4-5-1 today was a joke, who in their team are afraid of? higdon is too lazy and immobile to play as a lone striker and it was clear from the off that webster and zaliukas would have the cigars out. the only positive was carswell coming on in the second half, the midfield three were a shambles in the first half and nicky law in particular needs to take a good look at himself, every time he plays in a 3 in centre mid he disapears.

humphrey didn't look as inept as usual today but he got great service and must have been one on one with grainger a dozen times and only created two chances. as long as our main tactic is getting the ball out to him on the right we'll struggle, he's not good enough to be the focal point of our team. 6 goals in 140 odd games from spends the entire game up the park, the sooner he is out of fir park the better.

mccall's stock is declining rapidly. he failed miserably in the transfer market this summer, his public relations have been piss poor and his team selections and tactics this season have been terrible. looking at the subs today 1. rather than sub carswell straight on at the injury he ended up finishing the half with ten men with carswell standing waiting to come on 2. ojaama on far too late to make an impact 3. law does nothing in the centre for 85 mins then plays left mid for 3 minutes and almost scores then gets subbed off for the disgrace that is omar daley.

• Like 3

From some fans.....maybe. No chance of being under pressure from rhe board. Things would need to be a good bit worse for that imo.

Our failings at the back and in midfield will prevent us having a great season. Obviously McCall is influential in that.

starting 4-5-1 today was a joke, who in their team are afraid of? higdon is too lazy and immobile to play as a lone striker and it was clear from the off that webster and zaliukas would have the cigars out. the only positive was carswell coming on in the second half, the midfield three were a shambles in the first half and nicky law in particular needs to take a good look at himself, every time he plays in a 3 in centre mid he disapears.

humphrey didn't look as inept as usual today but he got great service and must have been one on one with grainger a dozen times and only created two chances. as long as our main tactic is getting the ball out to him on the right we'll struggle, he's not good enough to be the focal point of our team. 6 goals in 140 odd games from spends the entire game up the park, the sooner he is out of fir park the better.

mccall's stock is declining rapidly. he failed miserably in the transfer market this summer, his public relations have been piss poor and his team selections and tactics this season have been terrible. looking at the subs today 1. rather than sub carswell straight on at the injury he ended up finishing the half with ten men with carswell standing waiting to come on 2. ojaama on far too late to make an impact 3. law does nothing in the centre for 85 mins then plays left mid for 3 minutes and almost scores then gets subbed off for the disgrace that is omar daley.

That reads like somthing mjc would post!

Folk need to remember that this is Motherwell we're watching, not Barcelona or Real Madrid. We are a distinctly average team with possibly the smallest squad in the league. We were poor today, and have been poor since we dropped the two points in Aberdeen but let's be honest here, how much more do you really want from the team?!

I'll be delighted if we make top 6 this year and get a decent wee cup run. Folk that think we're going to finish best of the rest or should be finishing best of the rest every season are deluded! Get a grip.

• Like 2

I thought the performance was ok today, Not much between the teams, to be honest, Lost to a one in a Million Strike, From Grainger,

Came about after losing out in the centre circle, from Higgy not winning another header, we should of sacked that tactic as early as ten minutes.

I thought Motherwell played ok today, created a number of chances, which we should of scored from, Thought maybe OJ should of came on much earlier, the line up was very negative considering we should of seen ourselves as favourites to win today.

Some good wing play from both sides, Murphy looked good early on, Humphrey played ok on the right, Cretaing three or four clear cut chances, on another day would of gone in. Grainger did play Humphrey well today, but looked very nervy never the less, another person up front and Hearts would of sat back.

Overall not massively bothered, Good game, just came out second best today.

Hearts 1 Tactics O.

Next.

thats shite etiquette putting a quote up and changing the title to make it look like someone else, fine saying its looks like someone else but out of order letting others read it and think its actually someone elses post

I've edited for any other sensitive souls that read this forum.

Should have been pretty obvious given the massive single post between two though.

• Like 1

If you dont create chances you wont score, four occasions we should of at least tested the keeper, Higdon was not great today, but still could of had two goals, on another day he might of.

You can take the left back on fifty times and not create a chance, so creating two from 20 attempts isnt that bad, and both should of been real goal chances.

Today it never payed off, Friday it might!

Folk need to remember that this is Motherwell we're watching, not Barcelona or Real Madrid. We are a distinctly average team with possibly the smallest squad in the league. We were poor today, and have been poor since we dropped the two points in Aberdeen but let's be honest here, how much more do you really want from the team?!

I'll be delighted if we make top 6 this year and get a decent wee cup run. Folk that think we're going to finish best of the rest or should be finishing best of the rest every season are deluded! Get a grip.

Real-madrid-ity.

Sorry but it's not too much to ask to have a shot on target is it?

I hate this Barcelona, Real Madrid line that people trot out. I'm not angry we lost, I've been a Motherwell fan long enough to know we do so regularly. I'm angry at the way we lost with inept tactics and us throwing away a chance to get some points back on the board by being too negative. We showed far too much respect to an average Hearts team and have left the game with nothing.

I feel sorry for anyone that paid £25 to go and watch that performance, I watched it at home and felt short changed.

• Like 1

Would 8 be enough to satisfy you?

I'd guess he might think it 8 on target would have been, but only 5 of our eight were on target

and most of them were little more than trundlers, that would have needed a calamitous error from a keeper to let in.

anybody painting todays stand alone performance as anything other than negative and poor is deluded

most of us can take perspective and accept that over a season we'll lose games etc

and we have no rightful place in the top six and all that jazz

but today we were set up negative, with players getting starts who have been below their own standards for weeks if not months

and with even those who have been ok, being sent out in the wrong positions weakening us as a team,

add to that the constant failures with the dynamic? switching of formation, that wasnt addressed until a forced substitution, and the hugely frustrating 3 central midfielders manning the centre circle meant that it was another shite performance and all the harder to accept having witnessed as poor a Hearts side as I've seen in many a year.

but aye folk like Dazzer can say hes not massively bothered, I am, I spent £50 and it was poor poor stuff from the manager and a few players

• Like 1

In attack humphrey looked dangerous today he always does well vs grainger, murphy looked ok on the few occasions he got the ball in the centre but he never contributed anywhere near enough and Higdon won his fair share of flick ons but once again there was no one looking to get on the end of them

Please never play hateley in midfield again McCall, Carswell was a million times better I hope he or hethrington get a run in the centre. Law was really quiet today and Lasley tried his best as usual.

In Defence we looked much better in the second half. Kerr is much more comfortable at CB I'd make sure we play him there and Hateley at RB. I'm still not convinced by Ramsden

Why were we so bad at throw ins? No one looked interested in getting the ball apart from carswell on a few occasions. We were just giving them the ball back every time

I'd guess he might think it 8 on target would have been, but only 5 of our eight were on target

and most of them were little more than trundlers, that would have needed a calamitous error from a keeper to let in.

anybody painting todays stand alone performance as anything other than negative and poor is deluded

most of us can take perspective and accept that over a season we'll lose games etc

but today we were set up negative, with players getting starts who have been below their own standards for weeks if not months

and with even those who have been ok, being sent out in the wrong positions weakening us as a team,

add to that the constant failures with the dynamic? switching of formation, that wasnt addressed until a forced substitution, and the hugely frustrating 3 central midfielders manning the centre circle meant that it was another shite performance and all the harder to accept having witnessed as poor a Hearts side as I've seen in many a year.

but aye folk like Dazzer can say hes not massively bothered, I am, I spent £50 and it was poor poor stuff from the manager and a few players

Thank you, saves me typing out an entire response myself. Agree with pretty much all of this.

Ok. 5 is still greater than 0 as was being suggested. Also more than our opponents managed.

I'm in no way trying to suggest that we weren't poor or that there wasn't tactical errors made (with hindsight). A defeat is always a negative result.

Balance is required though. From what I can see the majority see this a some kind of disaster... It's not. I could probably look back through this forum and find the same harbingers of doom prophesying how a run of defeats around Christmas meant our goose had cooked.

Anyone who pays £50 to get to a SPL game needs there head checked anyway. If its on telly they should probably be sectioned.