St Mirren Vs Motherwell

Dave87

ZFA was the big difference for me - time and time again, no matter who plays on the left hand side of midfield, whether it be henrik or murphy, why oh why do they insist on cutting back on to their right foot?? 1 - it allows players to get back into shape and 2 - it stops any momentum we had

as soon as ZFA came on - hit the byline several times, and we nearly scored several times - i just cant understand why McCall cant see this. there is no dount murphy and ojamma have talent and something special in their locker, but their play is becoming all too predictable

i accept that we dont have many options, but what do we have is Nicky Law - a guy who has guile to unlock a defence like tonight, when a team is happy to sit in and stuff us out. But he is being asked to do a job which isnt natural to him and his talent is wasted playing that deep. He needs to be further up the park and doing what he does best. Someone else needs to step up to the plate and fill the jennings role, whether that be Carswell, hetherington, Ramsden or someone in January

well played to Boaby for grabbing another goal, but he shouldve had more!!

ZFA was the big difference for me - time and time again, no matter who plays on the left hand side of midfield, whether it be henrik or murphy, why oh why do they insist on cutting back on to their right foot??

I believe the answer to this is the lack of a decent left foot. Nicky Law also suffers from this when playing wide left to. What he does have is the footballing brain to play the simple ball when it's on once he's hit the byline on the left wing.

I prefer Law in the middle. We lose a bit of dig in there but he's a playmaker and drifts out of position playing wide left too often anyway.

Say what you like about Thompson but he was the difference between the sides tonight. Two great strikers goals from him.

I'm not saying he's better than Higdon but they played Higdon very well. Goodwin at centre-half was a master stroke from Lennon and I've never seen the big look so ineffective.

McCall was out-thought tonight but I'm choosing to credit the St Mirren boss rather than call for our gaffers head. I just hope that lessons are learned.

(PS- I know I say this after every game but it doesn't make it any less true: Hateley is absolutely shite, a complete non-trier and a waste of a jersey.)

we were absolutely pish for the first hour against hibs. surprise, surprise mccall lines us exactly the same against st mirren and we're equally punchless.

the higdon ojamaa partnership isn't working and mccall needs to try something else up front to get goals. the defence is a shambles but they get no help from the middle of the park so it's difficult to blame them individually. for both their goals hammell was marking his man and they moved him into the centre which allowed them t get unchallenged crosses in while ojamaa who had moved to the left stood 20 yards away watching.

humphrey's efforts at the second goal is why he'll never be a football player.

• Like 1

At it or not mate, the chat on here in recent weeks has been fuckin' abysmal...I'm only in here through force of habit...to be honest, I'm wishing it was actually this time last year before I spunked away my 'Well Society money.

Success has now overcome us, in my opinion. We're all expecting a Brazil display week in, week out and taking it hard when it doesn't appear.

On Boxing Day, have a look at the back page of the programme. We have a minute squad! Over and above the quality within, its one of, if not the smallest in the league.

Going into the Xmas games, I would have happily accepted 2nd in the league.

Lots of calls at McCall to change it, but in the games I've seen this season, would mean changing it at the back, rather than the front*, defensively we have been poor this year and miss Crag's talking those around them throught the game. (*Ross County is the exception when ZFA, Murph and Bob just seemed to click)

In January, yes some will go, go in our view cheaply, but go. Good Luck to them!

We might slip a few places down the league, but hey ho, what else can we expect.

Lots of talk of being a youth promoting club! Yes to a certain extent we are, but also, look that we're also a shop window for those who cant quite make in the Premiership, Championship, League 1, 2 whatever.

How many players over the last few years have moved onto better things from a loan or backward step. Hopefully Agents are now taking stock of this and advising those on the periphery, that a stint with Motherwell isn't the worst move.

Anyhow, 2 important games over Xmas, hopefully we can get an 'away' game atmos going. I'm hopful for the 2nd half of the season, dont think we're headign to a relegation battle, no matter what.

• Like 1

. for both their goals hammell was marking his man and they moved him into the centre which allowed them t get unchallenged crosses in while ojamaa who had moved to the left stood 20 yards away watching.

Wow, I know you don't like Ojamaa and look for any reason to criticise him but to make up things that didn't happen to suit your own agenda is just sad. If you watch it back I believe you'll find Hammell wasn't 'marking his man', infact it was his man that crossed for the 1st goal after Hammell was caught ball watching and the boy he was marking spun in behind him whilst Hammell was standing with his hand up claiming the ball had gone out.

Don't let facts get in the way of a bit of Ojamaa bashing though.I'm surprised you haven't tried to pin their second goal on Higdon yet.

we were absolutely pish for the first hour against hibs. surprise, surprise mccall lines us exactly the same against st mirren and we're equally punchless.

the higdon ojamaa partnership isn't working and mccall needs to try something else up front to get goals. the defence is a shambles but they get no help from the middle of the park so it's difficult to blame them individually. for both their goals hammell was marking his man and they moved him into the centre which allowed them t get unchallenged crosses in while ojamaa who had moved to the left stood 20 yards away watching.

If we need to change it to get goals, then so does most of the SPL, since we're third in the goal scoring charts.

Wow, I know you don't like Ojamaa and look for any reason to criticise him but to make up things that didn't happen to suit your own agenda is just sad. If you watch it back I believe you'll find Hammell wasn't 'marking his man', infact it was his man that crossed for the 1st goal after Hammell was caught ball watching and the boy he was marking spun in behind him whilst Hammell was standing with his hand up claiming the ball had gone out.

Don't let facts get in the way of a bit of Ojamaa bashing though.I'm surprised you haven't tried to pin their second goal on Higdon yet.

Whatever but Ojamaa needs to be dropped for McHugh because McHugh can do everything Ojamaa can and he can score goals. Scoring is a vital part of being a forward.

Higdon and OJ do work well together hence why we are second in the table, just last night it never pulled off as St Mirren played more or less five across the back, and Higdon was pretty much nullified, from the off. OJ ran his socks off the whole 90 minutes, and caused St Mirren plenty of heart ache.

Humphrey tracked from the opposite end of the pitch, filled the void that Hammy should of been filling, and unfortunately he slipped up, and the cross wasnt closed down, and the header at the back post was just a good header, which Randolph had no chance of stopping!

Not too down hearted to be honest, ZFA again improved the team when he came on, so On Hammys performance last night, I would honestly give him a start on Boxing Day.

On the point about Humphrey not being a footballer, I thought he played very well and to be honest over the last 5 or so weeks, amongst others, he has been one of the stand out players.

And im sure you would prefer Humphrey playing for you as apposed to playing against you.

Team played well, just lacked that cutting edge.

• Like 1

Fuckin sick of this "were second,what do people expect" pish. So cause were 4 points off the top McCall & the squad is bulletproof? Mince! Were also only 4 or 5 points away from 10th. The fact is while our squad is small its also packed with more talent than most of the league so this punching above our weight bollocks is laughable.

Now I'm not condoning some of the mouth foamers who scream like rabid retards every 5 seconds at Fir Park,there a fucking embarrassment to mankind never mind MFC but while the Manager & players can take the plaudits when they do well they deserve it when they balls up & THATS what frustrates the life out of me. We may not be blessed with many options but there ARE other options available. The manager makes the same mistakes over & over. He is paid to make the most of our resources and signs shite like Omar & Ramsden,Hateley could score 14 own goals every game and STILL not get dropped and even Stevie Wonder can see our tactical failures

• Like 2

Fuckin sick of this "were second,what do people expect" pish. So cause were 4 points off the top McCall & the squad is bulletproof? Mince! Were also only 4 or 5 points away from 10th. The fact is while our squad is small its also packed with more talent than most of the league so this punching above our weight bollocks is laughable.

Now I'm not condoning some of the mouth foamers who scream like rabid retards every 5 seconds at Fir Park,there a fucking embarrassment to mankind never mind MFC but while the Manager & players can take the plaudits when they do well they deserve it when they balls up & THATS what frustrates the life out of me. We may not be blessed with many options but there ARE other options available. The manager makes the same mistakes over & over. He is paid to make the most of our resources and signs shite like Omar & Ramsden,Hateley could score 14 own goals every game and STILL not get dropped and even Stevie Wonder can see our tactical failures

You do have a point LOL at mouth foamers :cheers:

Same shite different day. "Were 2nd and were great" och stop your happy clappy pish! "We make the same mistakes time and again" och here come the muppets! FFS were all Well fans here,so fuck if some have different views. Its an internet message board,people are meant to air & discuss their opinions for christs sake

• Like 1

Our defence is shite, not just Hateley as some would have you believe but all of them. They do however get fuck all protection because of the way we set up. With Law and Lasley both pushing forward along with our usual 4 forwards as soon as we lose the ball we are caught out and all it takes is one ball and we're on the back foot. It's happened time and time again this season and again tonight. Two free crosses with no pressure on the ball and two Saints goals. The Saints midfield had free run on our defence time and time again.

I might not agree with your precise choice of words but you are 100% right.

Saints had the freedom of the park with both goals which once again came from the left hand side (not Tom Hately's fault btw). Why oh why do we allow opposing players to rain crosses into our box?

Yes, our centre midfield is poor - we've gone over this time and again. Nicky Law is not and never will be a defensive player. At 32/33 Keith Lasley's best days are behind him and we can't expect him to run back and forth across the park shielding our central defenders. In fairness to Ramsden and Hutchinson I wouldn't want to be playing behind our central midfield right now. Now the defence - both full backs are having right poor seasons and have had a hand in many of our opponents' goals. Shaun Hutchinson can be rash but has promise and needs an experienced central defensive mentor beside him.

There you have it.

No need to go into panic mode over a defeat to a lowly SPL side but questions do need to be asked.

I for one am relaxed about losing a wheen of players (with a few exceptions like Darren Randolph) at the season's end. We have some quite highly paid players for a club of our size and not all of them consistently earn their corn. If they move on it will allow us to trim the budget and strengthen the squad.

Same shite different day. "Were 2nd and were great" och stop your happy clappy pish! "We make the same mistakes time and again" och here come the muppets! FFS were all Well fans here,so fuck if some have different views. Its an internet message board,people are meant to air & discuss their opinions for christs sake

Indeed they are. So perhaps slightly ironic that you've responded with "stop your happy clappy pish".

As tiresome as it obviously is for you to read what you consider to be happy clappy pish its as wearying for those who see the same group of posters repeat the same overly negative pish every time things don't go well.

The usual knicker wetting on the boards after a defeat :doh:

Enjoyed the game last night, we didnt deserve to be 2 down at half time but St midden should have been out of sight in the first ten minutes of the second half.

IMHO i thought we merited a draw, and some great last gasp blocks by their defenders prevented 3/4 goals and Boaby should have burst the net when clean through,(must be aw that shagging he does)

The negatives again are all there to see, Hammell and Hateley :doh: both very poor throughout, feck me other than the short corner in the first half(which again should have got a goal) our corners were murder throughout :wallbash:

2 good finnishes by Thomson for their goals,havent seen the highlights,but looking at the picture on BBC match report,possibly a foul on Hateley for the 2nd

_64911353_thompson.jpg

Untill we replace Jennings in midfield we will continue to leak goals.

Merry Christmas fellow Dossers.......roll on Boxing day for more home torture !!!!

I don't know why I still get surprised at some of the posts on here calling for the head of the manager and any number of first team players, but I do.

2nd in the league: Yes, we are. That doesn't automatically mean we're an excellent football team, but conversely, when we lose it doesn't make us a shite team. We are one of any number of teams in this league who on our day, could beat any other team in the league.

Last night: Look at our results against St Mirren over the last 5 or 6 years. We've won a few, lost a couple and drawn a shitload. It's a fixture that always gives me the fear, as for whatever reason, we often struggle to beat them. Give me St Johnstone any day of the week.

McCall: People calling for his head need a serious reality check, IMO. He's working with a small squad and a limited budget. As the guy above says, next game at Fir Park, take a look at the squad lists on the back of the programme. I've not seen one this season where the away team's not had a significant number more players than us. Now, is he tactically naive at times? Yes, of course he is. If he was some kind of tactical genius, he certainly wouldn't be Motherwell manager. He's done very well with the resources he has, and has, on the whole, made good signings, although admittedly, one or two have not been the best. However, the players he has signed who are performing, have become some of the key players in our team: Higdon, Law, Ojamaa. Compare this to some signings under other managers: Bob Malcolm, Esteban Casagolda, Martin Grechan, Abel Thermeus etc, and McCall certainly isn't doing any worse than others in this department.

Like Tassinari says above, we've been spoiled in recent years, since McGhee's first season. We've been finishing high in the league, progressing in the cups, and getting regular European football. It's been absolutely superb. But were people expecting this to last forever? Lets not forget that it all started with the remnants of Terry Butcher's reign, and that the core of that team failed miserably under Maurice Malpas. The same core of the team was revitalised under McGhee, and it was no coincidence that when Gannon got found out tactically (as he did towards Christmas in his season), it coincided with that same core being frozen out. Brown restored that balance to the team but unfortunately, McCall has had to preside over the end of that era. Craigan has retired, Jennings moved on, Lasley and Hammell are aging, and he now faces the task of creating a new core and building around it, something no-one has had to do in quite some time.

In my eyes, McCall has done a decent job replacing those who have left (with the exception of perhaps Jennings), but the true test will be in the summer, as he takes on rebuilding job even greater than the one faced by Jim Gannon. We'll survive, we always do, but if some people are this angry and hateful now, I really worry what they'll be like when inevitably, the good times (which these most certainly are) come to an end and we fall back into the relegation dogfight. I don't like the "punching above our weight" metaphor, but at the end of the day it all boils down to money. We no longer have a wealthy financial backer, so the bottom line has to be balancing the books. In that respect, we need to keep a small squad, and sooner or later, we'll hit a bad patch with injuries and suspensions and things will go south.

I've really enjoyed the last 5 seasons. There have been some lows but more often than not, there have been highs, but I'm just going to keep on enjoying it while we're challenging at the right end of the league. That doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the manager and team's failings, but I do understand and accept them for what they are.

Rant over whistling.gif

• Like 10

I agree that Hately has pretty much been shocking this season. However who is he supposed to be dropped for?

Saunders, wait a minute pretty much injured permanently and most people reckon he is a bombscare some reckon he has some promise but either way he not been available.

Kerr he played a couple of games at in centre and at full back, did ok in a couple been a bombscare in others.

Ramsden, missed half the season with injury and untried with us at right back far as I remember.

Hately is playing because he pretty much all we have.

I agree that Hately has pretty much been shocking this season. However who is he supposed to be dropped for?

Saunders, wait a minute pretty much injured permanently and most people reckon he is a bombscare some reckon he has some promise but either way he not been available.

Kerr he played a couple of games at in centre and at full back, did ok in a couple been a bombscare in others.

Ramsden, missed half the season with injury and untried with us at right back far as I remember.

Hately is playing because he pretty much all we have.

Where's Devlin these days? Out on loan somewhere still?

I don't know why I still get surprised at some of the posts on here calling for the head of the manager and any number of first team players, but I do.

2nd in the league: Yes, we are. That doesn't automatically mean we're an excellent football team, but conversely, when we lose it doesn't make us a shite team. We are one of any number of teams in this league who on our day, could beat any other team in the league.

Last night: Look at our results against St Mirren over the last 5 or 6 years. We've won a few, lost a couple and drawn a shitload. It's a fixture that always gives me the fear, as for whatever reason, we often struggle to beat them. Give me St Johnstone any day of the week.

McCall: People calling for his head need a serious reality check, IMO. He's working with a small squad and a limited budget. As the guy above says, next game at Fir Park, take a look at the squad lists on the back of the programme. I've not seen one this season where the away team's not had a significant number more players than us. Now, is he tactically naive at times? Yes, of course he is. If he was some kind of tactical genius, he certainly wouldn't be Motherwell manager. He's done very well with the resources he has, and has, on the whole, made good signings, although admittedly, one or two have not been the best. However, the players he has signed who are performing, have become some of the key players in our team: Higdon, Law, Ojamaa. Compare this to some signings under other managers: Bob Malcolm, Esteban Casagolda, Martin Grechan, Abel Thermeus etc, and McCall certainly isn't doing any worse than others in this department.

Like Tassinari says above, we've been spoiled in recent years, since McGhee's first season. We've been finishing high in the league, progressing in the cups, and getting regular European football. It's been absolutely superb. But were people expecting this to last forever? Lets not forget that it all started with the remnants of Terry Butcher's reign, and that the core of that team failed miserably under Maurice Malpas. The same core of the team was revitalised under McGhee, and it was no coincidence that when Gannon got found out tactically (as he did towards Christmas in his season), it coincided with that same core being frozen out. Brown restored that balance to the team but unfortunately, McCall has had to preside over the end of that era. Craigan has retired, Jennings moved on, Lasley and Hammell are aging, and he now faces the task of creating a new core and building around it, something no-one has had to do in quite some time.

In my eyes, McCall has done a decent job replacing those who have left (with the exception of perhaps Jennings), but the true test will be in the summer, as he takes on rebuilding job even greater than the one faced by Jim Gannon. We'll survive, we always do, but if some people are this angry and hateful now, I really worry what they'll be like when inevitably, the good times (which these most certainly are) come to an end and we fall back into the relegation dogfight. I don't like the "punching above our weight" metaphor, but at the end of the day it all boils down to money. We no longer have a wealthy financial backer, so the bottom line has to be balancing the books. In that respect, we need to keep a small squad, and sooner or later, we'll hit a bad patch with injuries and suspensions and things will go south.

I've really enjoyed the last 5 seasons. There have been some lows but more often than not, there have been highs, but I'm just going to keep on enjoying it while we're challenging at the right end of the league. That doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the manager and team's failings, but I do understand and accept them for what they are.

Rant over whistling.gif

Good rant - totally agree :nod: