Budget For Next Season

si91

Some people need to get real here. The league has no sponsor so that means the prize pot next year is going to drop significantly so this means that wherever Motherwell finish in the league their income is going to be down on this year. Now it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you run a break even business and you a loss in turnover is on the horizon then you need to cut your costs.

Do you actually think that the club are cutting the budget for anything but to keep the club solvent? Honestly people need to get a grip and stop moaning for the sake of moaning.

I have been critical of the club in recent months but I will not criticise them for making steps that will keep our club solvent.

we got letters sent out last season explaining the financial short fall and reprecussions relating to the rangers debacle and most people said they were fine with it.

much like the promises of increased attendances and paying into club 12 there seems to be a lot of fans who make promises they instantly forget.

much like the promises of increased attendances and paying into club 12 there seems to be a lot of fans who make promises they instantly forget.

That was always going to be the case. To be fair though some fans did dig a bit deeper or used their cash more effectively for the club's benefit.

we got letters sent out last season explaining the financial short fall and reprecussions relating to the rangers debacle and most people said they were fine with it.

Was it not more of a threat from current season ticket holders/pay at the gate fans that they'd walk away rather than promises of others to start attending?

1367617725[/url]' post='381413']

I have to confess, I was a lapsed Well fan living in Ayrshire.

With a young family, it was just too easy to find reasons not to make the journey up to Fir Park every second week.

However, I made a conscious decision at the start of the season that I was going to start going back to games and I have been to about 10 home games and both games at Rugby Park. Going to Inverness today.

There must be others surely?

I realise attendances havent been good this season, but I would be interested to see the figures split into home and away fans. The club reported an increase in season ticket sales and I have no reason to doubt that. Is it not more likely that it is the away supports that have collapsed? there certainly appear to have been some poor away supports at the games I have been at.

Not surprising right enough with some of the scheduling for live games.

Thats an accusation thrown around by Newco fans and as someone else posted,it was the people already going to the match who were ready to chuck it.The Club 12 fiasco has to go down as a missed opportunity by the club who didn't seem to get behind it.

Thats an accusation thrown around by Newco fans and as someone else posted,it was the people already going to the match who were ready to chuck it.The Club 12 fiasco has to go down as a missed opportunity by the club who didn't seem to get behind it.

I've no intention of getting embroiled in "we're better fans than you" debate. Its not an accusation its a fact and some of our own fans, who have no time whatever to do with Sevco have said that to me. However, live and let live. If fans wanted to contribute a bit more and could they did and if they didn't or couldn't well they didn't.

That said you're right in that the club could have promoted the Steelmen Forever far harder. That I don't understand. Between now and the end of the season I'll take a long hard look at myself and ask what more I can do.

I've no intention of getting embroiled in "we're better fans than you" debate. Its not an accusation its a fact and some of our own fans, who have no time whatever to do with Sevco have said that to me. However, live and let live. If fans wanted to contribute a bit more and could they did and if they didn't or couldn't well they didn't.

That said you're right in that the club could have promoted the Steelmen Forever far harder. That I don't understand. Between now and the end of the season I'll take a long hard look at myself and ask what more I can do.

What's a fact?

The point was steelboy said fans promised to increase attendances (same point DW throws around)

The argued point was fans actually declared that crowds would drop if Rangers received preferential treatment

And having been far too involved in the situation I'd certainly say steelboys point was wrong, all the arguments were around, not going back, and lets be honest the vote was from society members , whom the majority will attend games or already invest in the club so it's unlikely you could say they would return to spending money at fir park, by their very status they already were investing in Motherwell

So fans en-masse never promised an increase in attendances

But, Motherwell fans have delivered, the club wanted more to choose season tickets, the club say ticket sales were up, so it's hard to accept the club being critical of fans paying up front, but maybe not being able to attend for any reason from living in America to simply not being able to attend because of TV scheduling, or our very own club moving a game

Many fans have also put in more than enough extra cash as individuals, but we hear only negative digs fom the board on it, some have been dragging new folk along to games, Add to that, the stuttering steelmen forever tortoise,

The real losses have been visiting supports, but even there the Motherwell support impresses, with a substantial % of our core support travelling most games, until clubs like Hearts hike prices and ban fun, then fans correctly are turned off

Is it any surprise visiting supports are down when clubs and fans have been self centred and cream off extra into their own income streams, and do nothing to encourage visitors

MFC is in a great geographical location and should be one of the 'must-go' games for the majority of fans who do travel, but we charge them, edit: at least, £22, we mess them about to the point they rarely know where they'll be accommodated.......

Be honest Dave, is it the fans that are attending matches who are really not pulling their weight

The argued point was fans actually declared that crowds would drop if Rangers received preferential treatment

And having been far too involved in the situation I'd certainly say steelboys point was wrong, all the arguments were around, not going back, and lets be honest the vote was from society members , whom the majority will attend games or already invest in the club so it's unlikely you could say they would return to spending money at fir park, by their very status they already were investing in Motherwell

That puts it a bit better than i obviously did because i'm really struggling to see where i tried to start a 'better fan' debate.

What's a fact?

The point was steelboy said fans promised to increase attendances (same point DW throws around)

But, Motherwell fans have delivered, the club wanted more to choose season tickets, the club say ticket sales were up, so it's hard to accept the club being critical of fans paying up front, but maybe not being able to attend for any reason from living in America to simply not being able to attend because of TV scheduling, or our very own club moving a game

Many fans have also put in more than enough extra cash as individuals, but we hear only negative digs fom the board on it, some have been dragging new folk along to games, Add to that, the stuttering steelmen forever tortoise,

Be honest Dave, is it the fans that are attending matches who are really not pulling their weight

Firstly, as far as MJW is concerned, my reply was perhaps clumsily worded. I was not suggesting that he/she was attempting to stoke up a "better fan" debate. Unfortunately many discussions like this in the past have wound up as just that. I was simply trying to get across that I was not getting at anyone/was posting in peace however you choose to phrase it. I was trying to avoid falling into this trap. To their credit neither MJW nor Brazilian did so.

Now as to the points you make Iain. I agree with the point made by Steelboy to a degree. Fans have made the effort to get to games and I'll freely acknowledge that some on this Board and indeed others bought season tickets in the full knowledge that they would not be able use them. Good on them. My point was more about the club 12 initiative than attendances. As far as I know and was led to believe the Club 12 initiative was a damp squib. Many with a ST said that they'd pay in but in the event this was forgotten about on the day. Before anyone has a go at me yes, there were some who did exactly what they promised to do. But in the main it was a flop. Thats not my opinion its a fact, as I was told by someone who knew. However that is the nature of these things. Some people make pledges for charity appeals, collections whatever, probably in good faith but in the event don't come up with the goods. Again I feel it necessary to state that some folk would have made these pledges but in the event were too ill to do so, lost their jobs, hit financial trouble and the like.

As far as I know the Board have not been making negative digs about fans - I've heard perhaps one comment (in a specific context) in the last 11 months about fans not pulling their weight/doing what they'd promised - however you choose to phrase it.