Worst Case Scenario

The African

I think you are way off the mark there Lobey. The fact that Sheffield United pinched one of our best products of recent years for £110,000 shows the gap in the resources between the clubs. A small fee, but one we could never afford to pay these days but at the same time a small fee but one we can't afford to turn down. You also have to factor in the fact that he has already definitely lost two of the players that gave him great success this season and could lose another four. That's all before you mention the affinity he has for Sheffield United, having ended his playing days there and started his coaching career. You wouldn't have been able to blame him too much, even if he went down with the "where do I sign?" attitude, but he didn't. He went down, listened to what they had to offer, evaluated it and realised he had a better thing going at Motherwell, I respect that.

I too am looking forward to next season as well. Hopefully we will get one or two of the departing players signed up but there is something fresh about turning up for the new season and seeing a new look to the team. I do find it no surprise that steelboy is talking Paul Lawson down before a ball has been kicked!

• Like 1

Lobby, it might be me who's got it wrong but I was under the impression that he was away with the Motherwell players on an end of season holiday and that he didn't cut it short.

I believe that's the case and it was a couple of assumptions made by journalists.

The worst case scenario would have been to lose our manager and ALL of our out of contract players.

That hasnt happened so everything from here on in is a bonus!

Looking forward now to seeing who the gaffer can get signed up and who has been on his list of targets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are almost certainly losing all of the out of contract players. McCall's away on international duty while the exodus continues from the Ark. The worst case scenario is unfolding before us. <_>

It's the board that deals with the out of contract players - McCall just tells them who he wants to stay.

Seeing as he said he already knew who was likely to leave, and that he has been inundated with offers from agents, I'm sure he has plenty of options in mind.

We are almost certainly losing all of the out of contract players. McCall's away on international duty while the exodus continues from the Ark. The worst case scenario is unfolding before us. <_>

The beauty of modern technology is that it allows managers to contact players or agents no matter where they are. However McCall can’t stop anyone leaving, if a player wants to go then so be it. We will survive, the next Higdon, Ojamma or Humphrey are only an mobile phone call away. We have rebuilt teams in the past, and we will do it again.

The beauty of modern technology is that it allows managers to contact players or agents no matter where they are. However McCall can't stop anyone leaving, if a player wants to go then so be it. We will survive, the next Higdon, Ojamma or Humphrey are only an mobile phone call away. We have rebuilt teams in the past, and we will do it again.

Exactly.

While I'm confident that we'll rebuild to an extent and strive to play decent football again next year you can't help to be disheartened by the events of the past few weeks.

Last season we were the best of the rest both in the number of points gained but also (by some way) in the product on the park.

However it's a huge blow not to be able to build on this team, to build on the football that they were producing in the last third of the season. And build on having a team of players that were beginning to gain a bit of a reputation both as a unit and as individuals.

There are things that are well outwith our control that affect all of this, I know and our players once they prove themselves will always move on to more lucrative things (not always better) but it would be fuckin brilliant for just once to be able to sell just a couple and bring in some players that will add to what we've already got rather than re-building to hopefully stay still.

I'm confident we can rebuild. I'm hopeful we can challenge to be the best of the rest. But for once it would have been good to know that we have a chance of hiiting the ground running with an already settled and improving team - particularly with Europe coming up so quickly - rather than having to build on from the deck up.

Whilst he got loads of pelters in another thread - I agree with where siebsbarmyarmy is coming from - IF we want to develop further as a club - we definitely need to find a way of working some of our success to our (business) advantage. Being more innovative. Whether that be structuring deals being more successful in sell on clauses. i realise that its difficult and you're dealing with agents who hold the aces - but we appear to be resigning ourself to losing these players without gaining a single curdie.

• Like 2

While I'm confident that we'll rebuild to an extent and strive to play decent football again next year you can't help to be disheartened by the events of the past few weeks.

Last season we were the best of the rest both in the number of points gained but also (by some way) in the product on the park.

However it's a huge blow not to be able to build on this team, to build on the football that they were producing in the last third of the season. And build on having a team of players that were beginning to gain a bit of a reputation both as a unit and as individuals.

There are things that are well outwith our control that affect all of this, I know and our players once they prove themselves will always move on to more lucrative things (not always better) but it would be fuckin brilliant for just once to be able to sell just a couple and bring in some players that will add to what we've already got rather than re-building to hopefully stay still.

I'm confident we can rebuild. I'm hopeful we can challenge to be the best of the rest. But for once it would have been good to know that we have a chance of hiiting the ground running with an already settled and improving team - particularly with Europe coming up so quickly - rather than having to build on from the deck up.

Whilst he got loads of pelters in another thread - I agree with where siebsbarmyarmy is coming from - IF we want to develop further as a club - we definitely need to find a way of working some of our success to our (business) advantage. Being more innovative. Whether that be structuring deals being more successful in sell on clauses. i realise that its difficult and you're dealing with agents who hold the aces - but we appear to be resigning ourself to losing these players without gaining a single curdie.

100% agree..

1370595175[/url]' post='385676']

Pretty much sums it up for me I feel so frustrated more than anything else with a few tweaks this team based on the way we were playing towards the end of the season without doubt had the chance do be real title contenders.

Now it's a total rebuild with the new players not having any real time to gel (that's why this team was so good they worked perfectly as a unit). The momentum is gone and we will be paped out the Europa at the first go far to early for a new team. cray.gifHopefully get a descent run in the cups and top 6 Finnish.

Feels like we are treading water waiting on sevco coming back just the way it is I suppose, but what a chance we would have had if only. Also if Mccall does pull the rabbit from the hat you can bet you're boots he will be off, he has a real chance now just to prove how good he really is. COYW

We applaud the club for its openness, certainly heads and shoulders above any other I can think of in the SPL. However when we sell a player there is no mention of a sell on clause or further kickbacks doesn't mean they aren't in place, surely the club is allowed to keep a few bit and pieces close to its chest.

We all were pretty unanimous that The Rangers FC (est. 2012) should be demoted, the club said "OK, however there's going to be a shortfall, you're going to have to help us make it up". Ideally I reckon they would have prefered it would be through increased gates (500 from the Board statement I recall). We didn't manage to get those floating supporters and the lapsed to commit despite the success on the park, consequently we run at a loss. We now have a management in place who can countenance a loss if in any way its going to affect the club's sustainability, that means unfortunately players see out their contracts and move on for free as any canny agent will tell them, "if you have no transfer fee, then we can get you a higher wage".

Its odd how one extra round in the Scottish Cup and Ross County/ICT being replaced by Hearts/Hibs in the top six would have made a big difference to our balance sheet.

Personally I reckon within the next 5 years, 6-10 clubs in Scotland's top 4 leagues will go bust and wind up due to unsustainability, I don't think for a minute Motherwell is one of them.

the club said "OK, however there's going to be a shortfall, you're going to have to help us make it up". Ideally I reckon they would have prefered it would be through increased gates (500 from the Board statement I recall). We didn't manage to get those floating supporters and the lapsed to commit despite the success on the park, consequently we run at a loss.

lots of those PATG and floating supporters did commit, hence the increase in season tickets, again, but the clubs own long term policies mean that leads to a drop in income, but speculatively installs hope for fan retention, sadly all the usual obstacles that prevent fans regular attendance are left in place, and with the missing games the good value appears to be removed, for some

lots of good work at the club, but it is still stupidly difficult to put money in, and lots of little flaws that trip up the good work.

you touch on another good point though, Visiting fans are the key factor in the loss, and lets be honest the club are woeful at doing anything about it, if nothing is put in place to attract Partick Thistle fans at their first visit it will be clear that the club has no intention of sorting the issue

PS and Rangers were not demoted, they ceased to exist and were lucky to get licensed and allowed to rejoin League football at the normal entry point

• Like 1